Grumman TBF-1C Avenger - Battle of the Atlantic May 1944

Grumman TBF-1C Avenger

Battle of the Atlantic

USS Block Island - May 1944

Here is the my final hang-over from last year which I had started for the Radial Engines Rock GB and failed to complete in time.

This the 1/48 Accurate Miniatures Kit built straight from the box, and represents one of 12 Avengers flying anti-submarine duties from USS Block Island in May 1944. Aircraft from VC-55 were involved in attacks on U-Boats on May 3, 1944. Task Group 21.11 continued to harass these submarines and eventually sank U-66 on May 6. USS Block Island herself was sunk on May 20, 1944 when all of these aircraft were lost.

Though these aircraft operated in harsh conditions they were maintained in top condition, which was all the excuse that I needed not to weather the model - although I would expect there to be some exhaust staining and oil leaks from that big radial, maybe later. I tried to mottle the topcoats by allowing the primer coats to show through in places, this effect shows up more on the grey but it is not quite as successful on the white. I'll try a different approach when I attempt it again. 

Paints Used

Xtracolor

X131 Dark Gull Grey

Colourcoats

ACUS09 Interior Green

ACUS30 Bronze Green

ACUS37 Insignia White

Citadel Acrylics

Various

25912101187_ed2aff394e_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38973338760_a7f5706ec9_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38973340120_4fb4e1a4b7_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

25912088697_cc453eef84_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

25912096187_801b386cb7_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

25912099647_cfbe8f7857_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39888593415_cc596fe8dc_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers

• Like 49

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work John, very nice indeed.

Thanks for the comment Craig, glad that you like it and thanks for sticking with it.

29 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Ooh that turned out well :D

:hmmm: I wonder why Jamie. No seriously, I'll certainly use more from the Colourcoats range. I brush painted the interior colours and found them easy to use and they gave good coverage, the white airbrushed really well, so they tick all the right boxes for me. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That is one FAT aeroplane! What I really like (overall quality of construction and finish aside), is the way you've got the fuselage stars to snuggle around the fin fillet; mine would have been more wrinkled that my teenage son's shoes (and cracked at the sharp change of direction)! What did you use?

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 23:28, Newbie(kinda) said:

That is one FAT aeroplane! What I really like (overall quality of construction and finish aside), is the way you've got the fuselage stars to snuggle around the fin fillet; mine would have been more wrinkled that my teenage son's shoes (and cracked at the sharp change of direction)! What did you use?

I use two products, Micro Set and Micro Sol manufactured by Microscale Industries, Micro Set helps with adhesion and Micro Sol softens the decal. I pick them up at model shows, if I remember, but in the UK they are usually available from here (see link below ) but I see they are out of stock at present. You should be able to find them in other web-stores and you need to be aware that this supplier has a minimum order value and some restrictions when mailing liquids.

Microscale Set/Sol

More recently I have been experimenting with these two Mr Hobby products, Mr Mark Setter Neo and Mr Mark Softer Neo, I have achieved good results but I have not tried them over more complex curves, preferring to rely on my traditional method for this. This Belgian company also offers a single product in three strengths which gives good results, but I have not used any of these (scroll down their homepage to find)

Daco Products.

The quality of the decals can affect the result you get, with some kit supplied ones being quite thick and needing several applications of softening solution to get them to conform, I think that this is becoming less of an issue with more recent releases though, I also tend to use lukewarm water when soaking the decals which, for me, seems to help. Once you have the decals positioned and they generally conform to the shape, then apply the softening solution. 

One thing to remember with all these products is that they will give the decals more wrinkles than your grannies face, that is the time to leave them alone and let the solutions work their magic.

This is my method and I am not saying that it is the best one, but it works for me. Other modellers may have better ways of doing this, so don't be afraid to ask, they are a helpful bunch of reprobates on here. :winkgrin: I hope this helps.

Cheers

• Like 1

Nice one!

I built one of these when they first came out as a RAF Tarpon. Although long since gone, it still remains one of the most enjoyable kits I’ve built. You’ve done it proud.:thumbsup2:

If I remember rightly, it certainly takes up a fair deal of shelf space!

Mart

• Like 1

Thank you all of those above, who have taken the time to comment, they are much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, LotusArenco said:

Nice one!

I built one of these when they first came out as a RAF Tarpon. Although long since gone, it still remains one of the most enjoyable kits I’ve built. You’ve done it proud.:thumbsup2:

If I remember rightly, it certainly takes up a fair deal of shelf space!

Mart

Mart,

I too bought this kit when they first came out, along with a Grumman F3F which I built as soon as it arrived, so you will know how long this one has been languishing in the pile. You are quite right it is a BIG model and, due to limited space in the modelling area, there were some awkward moments trying to photograph it during construction. Thanks again for the comment.