Airfix 1/48 Mosquito B Mk IX (Oboe)

This is my latest and i'm glad to get it off my work bench as it has been a trial throughout it's build. This is the D Day special PR Mk XVI which originally was going to be finished as a B MkXVI with open bulged bombay and 4000 Lb cookie.

Unfortunately the build went wrong almost from the start. Fit of parts especially the newer sprues was dreadful. Transparencies were a terrible fit and sometimes so thick to be unusable or were short shot distorted. At one point this model was definitely the filler queen! In the end I unsuccessfully tried to get replacement parts from Airfix but the model is long out of production so it was either going to take a final flight to the skip or become an Oboe equipped Mk IX with the nose transparencies painted over.

The model represents LR508 an oboe equipped Mk IX of 105 squadron as recorded by MJF Bowyer ( Bombing Colours)  in March 1944. It seems this aircraft went backwards and forwards between 105 and 109 until finally lost in an accident in April 1945.

Hopefully a new tool two stage version will be coming soon?

Mike

mossie1.jpg

mossie2.jpg

mossie3.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Good looking Mosquito...

Question: whose paints did you use, and which ones? The Dark Green/Grey contrast looks just "right" to me. 

Peter

Hi Peter

I use enamel paints: Ocean Grey is colourcoats, Dark Green is Humbrol 118 and Black is Humbrol 85 which is satin and takes the gloss Klear finish well. Final finish is Humbrol matt cote. Everything apart from the klear is airbrushed.

Mike

3 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Great looking Mossie.

I can heartily recommend the Tamiya version if you fancy doing another.

Pete

Thanks Pete but I wasn't aware of a Tamiya 1/48 two stage merlin?

Mike,

Not my scale, but glad you persevered- she looks pretty darned good to me! Can't have too many Mossies. Sure wish Tamiya would get with the program and do the two-stage variants in both 1/72 and 1/48....they would make a ton of yen, methinks, and the kits look like they are engineered to make them. The PRXVI and the BMk 35's are  drop-dead gorgeous, IMHO!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected run-together words

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Ah, you're right.

Pete

Jason C from Britmodeller made the masters for these two-stage nacelles (which come with 6 stack exhausts) for the Tamiya 1/48 Mossie though :)

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/pangolin-two-stage-mosquito-nacelles-1-48

• Like 2