Another 2-pounder question: Ammo Colors?

Randy J Ray

I have another question for my 2-pounder project, for those who may be able to help.

I have the set of shells and spent casings from RB Models. I had intended to just use the spent casings, but the loaded shells themselves are so nicely-done it seems a shame to not use them as well. But my attempts to get a look at the colors of the shells (whether there were any steel bands on them, etc.) has turned up next to nothing. I tried a variety of Google queries but all I got were 17-pounder and 25-pounder examples.

Any idea whether the rounds were just satin-ish black, or if there were any bands/stripes on them?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Paint/markings were standardised - so that you knew what you were getting! So 2pdr AP is marked the same way as 17pdr AP - black, with a white tip; the white tip has a red band within it. The driving band is copper coloured.

• Like 1

You should try and buy the book Firing Now by Dick Taylor, MMP Books. ISBN 978-83-63678-91-3 as it covers the history of tank, anti-tank and self-propelled artillery ammunition used by the Americans and British in WW2.

Here's the painting guide from the AFV Club 2pdr ammo set.  Looks about right to my eye, but strangely no AP round.  I believe the middle pair that look like APDS are squeeze-bore rounds for the Littlejohn Adaptor.

66bNrEg.jpg

AP round

WCoRYph.jpg