This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

spruecutter96

"Annihilation" movie

I've just watched the above film on Netflix (it's not getting a UK cinema release BTW, so the 'Flix may be your best option for seeing it soon).

An unusual film, to say the least. Definitely not a crowd pleaser (I don't reckon that the Director, Alex Garland, has any real affinity for explosions or big gunfights, judging by this movie and "Ex-Machina" - having said that, he did write the script for "Dredd", so...).

It's thoughtful, adult film-making with some astonishing special-effect scenes. Give it a go, but please don't expect "Transfomers 27"....

Cheers.

Chris.   

Thanks for that. I popped it into my phone (remember when for phones for calls not entire movies?). I watched a bit and my interest is piqued. I'll watch it on the telly later.

Hi, Noelh.

No worries at all. The film is only getting a cinema release in the US, Canada and China (?), so that's propbably an indicator the distributors don't think it has enough mass appeal to be shown globally in theatres. I think they are probably right - when you see how drivel like the most of the Transformers movies pulled in the crowds, it's a sad fact that more "intellectual" movies tend to fall by the wayside in the cinema (with some noticeable exceptions, admittedly). 

Cheers.

Chris.    

China?

Anyway, managed to watch most of it while the lads and the wife was out at the Cubs. Compelling, Ok the usual slightly daft coincidences. But liking it a lot.

My youngest, the 9 year old walked in after Cubs and asked what it was about. I explained and he asked if it was a movie if they get bumped off one by one. No spoiler BTW. He said it was a bit of a cliche. I told him he was precocious and he knew what I meant. He really is. Anyway I sent him away saying it wasn't suitable for him. 

About to watch the rest of it now. Thanks for highlighting it. Just my kind of film.:yes:

Well I watched it to the end without any further input from my appalling children.

Liked it but saw references to 2001 , alien and  predator. 

None of which put me off.

Very much enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip. Netflix is great. My kids and my wife get so much out of it.

Hi, mate.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Now I've had 24 hours to mull it over, I think it's a film I can admire, but didn't really like all that much (yep, I know that's a bit of a cop-out, but it's something I say about a fair precentage of modern movies).

I think the problem is that I just didn't care what happened to the group once they entered the Shimmer. I didn't find any of the characters very sympathetic or relatable and so I wasn't too bothered what happened to them. Maybe I just over-analyse movies, but I  find that very few movies now stir my blood the way that they used to.

Having said that, Annihilation was a lot better than the "lowest common denominator" fare that Hollywood now tends to pass off as great enertaiment.

Cheers.

Chris.  

PS: Agree about Netflix - we really are pretty spoiled by the huge number of good shows and films we can watch for 6 quid a month.

I agree that the characters were somewhat unsympathetic. The first to go, I barely recognised. But the idea of the film was good. Maybe needed a Spielberg.

I'm the same about movies these days. My wife and kids get more out of Netflix than me. 

They certainly have gems though if you can find them. I'm watching a French made documentary about WW2 right now. Where else would you get that?

From the previews it looked like it has a "roadside picnic" kind of vibe to it?

For those not familiar with the book...look it up, I highly recommend it.

I'm going to get more than a bit "black roll-neck jumper and goatie" here.....

Is a common theme of Alex Garland's films the "loss of humanity"...?

Annihilation - most of the characters have some major flaws, which ultimately contribute to their downfall (and the ending is very much to do with a loss of humanity). The transformation aspect of the story backs this up. 

Ex-Machina - in some ways, the robot is more human than its creators.

Dredd (script-writer only) - Judge Dredd is essentially a state-mandated killing-machine and only displays his humanity when it is convenient to him. I'll be very interested to see what they do with the Mega-City One TV series (although they've already said that Dredd might not feature in every episode). 

Maybe I am thinking about this WAY too much (again). 

Cheers.

Chris.