A Cuban Sea Fury.

Didn't get to much done yesterday as I made the most of the nice weather and gave the car a good wash!

But I did add some yellow to the RLM82 to brighten it up a bit more, gradually I think i'm getting there.

20180325_195018

20180325_194622

I also did the same to the Dark Green just to add a few highlights. 

Made a start on the wing leading edge undersides.

20180325_194709

Also the undercarriage doors, the spinner looks like it received some camouflage as well? Sprayed the insides of the u/c doors Zinc Chromate.

20180325_194852

Need to think about spraying the Cuban flag on the rudder now.

Tim. 

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Diggers11 said:

Hi Tim,

Your Sea Fury is coming along very nicely indeed. Definitely more exotic than the standard EDSG over sky of the Royal Navy.

Mark.

17 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Nice work and good to see a very non standard scheme.

Looking forward to seeing the masks done.

Regards,

Mark and Kent,

glad to hear you both like my chosen scheme.

Tim.

On 27/03/2018 at 23:19, Diggers11 said:

Not just the scheme but the execution of it so far. Looks like a very smooth finish.

Mark.

Thanks Mark,

I appreciate that. 👍

Managed to progress a little further today.

Masked off and sprayed the NMF panels.

20180331_193346

Using various Alclad shades.

20180331_193610

Plus Alcad hot metal colours.

Then made a start on the rudder a d sprayed up the drop tanks. Theres a pic of a Cuban one in the link in my first post which shows the tanks in a light colour which i've taken to be Sky? So I thought i'd take the liberty and add a bit of camouflage to those as well!

20180331_201918

Next job will be to mask off the walkways on the wings and set about spraying the Cuban flag. 

Tim.

• Like 5

Tim your build looks great so far and i like the coverage and smoothnes of the paints as well..

The walkways on mine are the Airfix decals as they settle very well with the Revell softener.

My iraqi plane was at a slow pace this week but i am going towards the end this week!

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Jan,  i'm looking forward to seeing your Iraqi Fury so will keep a look out for it in RFI.

Where possible I always try to mask and spray any markings on. I know I make loads of work for myself but I think the results are worth it.

Tim.

• Like 1

Following on from yesterday's work I made a start masking up for the walkways on the wings.

20180401_205304

20180401_205328

Its always a good idea to run a bit of masking fluid, I use Mr Sol R , along any joints where masked where you're not certain to have over lapped your masking tape as you can be certain paint will find its way through any gaps no matter how tiny.

20180401_150333

Then carefully airbrushed 2 shades of Mr Paint black on.

After leaving it for around 15 minutes I removed the masking and was left with this.

20180401_203755

I also attached the front cowling assembly now that i'd finished with the masking.

20180401_203820

Its starting to come together now I feel.

Next up was masking up tbe rudder for the flag.

20180401_160526

20180401_200105

So I ended up with this.

20180401_205530

I've just got to wait for a mask to be cut now so that I can spray the 5 pointed star on the red portion  and then i'll consider the job done and dusted.

Tim.

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim ,

How is your Sea Fury going?

You probably have the same question for me but i can tell you that after a few ups and downs with detailing of certain parts i am on my way to get this finished.

I was going to fast and was impatient..

Cheers, Jan

On 27/04/2018 at 00:13, janneman36 said:

Hi Tim ,

How is your Sea Fury going?

You probably have the same question for me but i can tell you that after a few ups and downs with detailing of certain parts i am on my way to get this finished.

I was going to fast and was impatient..

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan, yes I've been looking out for you posting your latest progress up. My build has stalled as I'm still waiting for Sean of Top Notch to cut me some masks as soon as he does I'll be able to resume with the build.

On 27/04/2018 at 00:44, Scooby said:

Very nice.

Very sorry to hear about your parents. I lost my mom only 3 weeks ago, my dad isn’t doing well now. It isn’t easy.

Thanks Scooby, and i'm very sorry to hear that you lost your mum recently, its a dreadful thing to have to deal with. I was just starting to come to terms with mine passing away and then my Dad went and that has brought everything crashing down again. I must admit I've been struggling again recently.

Thanks for your comment  about my build as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to make a start with it again once my masks arrive.

Tim.

• Like 1

Great build going on here. The Sea Fury is a great looking aeroplane, one that I have been looking at a lot recently as this aircraft is so closely related to the Tempest which I'm building at the moment. 

Really sorry to hear about your parents. I also know how hard it is, my Father passed away when I was only 7 and my mother passed away suddenly 6 years ago.

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear about your parents Tim, the loss of one or both of your parents is a really strange thing.

My mom went three years ago and only just for about half a year now i can give it a place..

I hope for you that you can give it a place sooner or later!

My sincere regards, Jan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just found Tim’s build.  Unfortunately a spell in bed and a week abroad led to an unusually long delay in getting the masks to him. I look forward to the end result

On 29/04/2018 at 21:44, pipthepilot said:

Great build going on here. The Sea Fury is a great looking aeroplane, one that I have been looking at a lot recently as this aircraft is so closely related to the Tempest which I'm building at the moment. 

Really sorry to hear about your parents. I also know how hard it is, my Father passed away when I was only 7 and my mother passed away suddenly 6 years ago.

Hi, thanks. Yes until it actually happens you never really know how others feel who are in the same boat.

Will have to check your Tempest build out, i'm sure it'll be right up there with the Fw190 you built recently. 

On 29/04/2018 at 22:51, janneman36 said:

Really sorry to hear about your parents Tim, the loss of one or both of your parents is a really strange thing.

My mom went three years ago and only just for about half a year now i can give it a place..

I hope for you that you can give it a place sooner or later!

My sincere regards, Jan

Thanks Jan, I still struggle some days about my Mum passing away, I can accept my Dad going as i'd watched him suffering during his last days so it came as a relief when he went, but Mum was fine before I left her and went to work, 2 hours later she was gone.

10 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice work so far! Very nice paint job! :)

Håkan

Hi Håkan, 

thanks for looking in, glad you like what you see.

Tim.

• Like 1

Right we have something new to see.

First though, a big thank you to Sean who cut the masks for me. I may have had to wait longer than normal but I was kept informed all the time by Sean as to the state of play, there was never a breakdown in communication. I probably should have made that more clear in earlier posts.

Ok on with some pics.

First up the fuselage numbers and tail markings.

20180513_193347

Applied and sprayed, the correct colour.

20180513_193322

I'm very impressed with the FAR541 mask, the letters and numbers are pretty small so the A,R and 4 is prove I think, how good Sean's plotter/cutter is.

After leaving things around an hour I removed the masks to reveal the markings.

20180513_193303

The beauty of using masks, no carrier film in sight.

20180513_193139

20180513_193241

Then onto the rudder. Sean cut me a mask for the star to complete the Cuban flag.

20180513_175820

After i'd applied that, it was just a case of a bit more masking and spraying some RAF dark green to finish things off.

20180513_193207

Obviously I couldn't resist a quick look see with it on the tail!

20180513_193111

Anyone that hasn't tried using masks for markings and camouflage patterns should give Sean's masks a go, i've never had a problem with using them, they're superbly cut. 

Just got to get round to making up the RP's now, something I should have done weeks ago.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Tim 

I am glad that the masks came out so well. I worried that we were in the realms of "being too small for the cutter". So email me finished pics. Guys please join the Facebook Group. Their is always something happening. Sadly I don't get to Britmodeller as much as I would like. 

Regards

Sean

Topnotch Masks and Models