Tiger (Moth) Goes to Sea - Airfix 1/72

I have been craving to build really contemporary mainstream kit for some time. Unfortunately not that easy with my modelling focus, however in the end the selection process unearthed this:

s_1676.jpg

To be built using all these:

20180311_DSC_0132.jpg

So it is going to be the Airfix Tiger Moth, the appropriate Eduard etched set and Kora floatplane conversion set. Building the Airfix kit on wheels just OOB would feel probably too cowardly to me. In fact I am afraid I would have to use the fuselage below too (picture courtesy LF Models web site) for the kit to be really correct. But hey, where would the fun of building a modern Airfix be then?

Kora_DS72190.jpg

And I am really looking forward to see how the result compares with the Pavla shortrun that I built - what seems like - eons ago.

20180311_DSC_0146.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 18

• 3 weeks later...

While trying to save my Nightjar after the spraying disaster in another thread, I will use this one as a counterweight to keep the balance between salvage operations and some constructive work.

I decided not to use the etched interior framing from the Eduard set, the original plastic representation seems fine to me. However I had to fill in the quite prominent ejector pin marks (at least for an open cockpit biplane), which were placed exactly when one could most probably see them later one. And also the eight intentional cavities provided for the eventual opening of the cockpit doors. The seats with some of the etched parts installed are in the background.

20180330_DSC_0147.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

Some progress to show after a while.

Interior complete, the etched details make it pretty crowded. I just changed the colour of the instrument panels from black to wood - seems more appropriate to me for an nearly 30's Moth. And I also changed the colour of the floor plate from Eduard Green to Interior Green.

In general the fit of the interior plastic parts is more on the shortrunish side of the scales than expected, meaning you cannot avoid dry fitting and some minor modifications in order to make it fit in a satisfactory manner.

20180428_DSC_0172.jpg

20180428_DSC_0176.jpg

• Like 13

I'll pop in now and again if I may?

My grandfather was at sea in the Moray Firth one day when a floatplane Tigermoth crashed a short distance from their fishing boat.

They changed course to rescue the crew only to find that there weren't any..it was a Queen Bee.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

Fuselage halves joined and the lower wing is on.

The need for filler and the plastic insert around the cockpit was entirely my fault. The interior fit was very tight to begin with and then I forgot to count in the thickness of the side buckles from the etched harness. Notice I filled in the toylike grooves for the windscreens too.

20180518_DSC_0080.jpg

On the other hand the fit of the lower wing central part is nothing for Messrs Airfix to be proud of.

20180518_DSC_0083.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The lower wing central part filled and sanded plus some Eduard etched parts.

20180601_DSC_0086.jpg

The fin-fuselage joint (and the tail in general) is another part of the kit that requires more care than expected.

20180601_DSC_0079.jpg

• Like 6

The solution for the cabane struts' connection to the fuselage seems quite clever, until one finds the hole is by far too big for the plug. So hole filled in and the plug sawed off. I believe the joint will look much more realistic later on.

20180609_DSC_0001.jpg

20180609_DSC_0004.jpg

• Like 5

Coming along nicely. I have always wised Airfix would do a 1/48 version. I find the 1/72 is just too small to show the real look of the plane. I built the earlier 1/72 kit many years ago and was disappointed with the result. 

Work goes on slowly, and there has been no time for posting last week, so the whole sequence of the floats' attachment at one whack. The floats were a bit on the "lump-of-resin" side and required significant care, with the starboard one featuring nice selection of bubbles of various sizes to fill (Kora can do much better as far as I can say). Only the rear V-struts survived from the set after a lot of carving work, all the rest was not worth removing from the cast. All strut attachments were reinforced with copper wire. In the absence of hard evidence, common sense was used when attaching the struts to the fuselage. Unfortunately most of the available data refer to the civilian floatplanes, which differ in the configuration of the struts compared to the military Moth. Notice the "ingenious" float jig.

20180617_DSC_0005.jpg

20180617_DSC_0008.jpg

20180617_DSC_0018.jpg

20180617_DSC_0019.jpg

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

which has me thinking of larger scales.

A Matchbox kit in the stash perhaps?

3 hours ago, Patrik said:

Work goes on slowly,

No rush on my part.

It's starting to look the part now isn't it?

• Like 1

This is looking very nice and the resin add ons look good.

I love everything about the Tiger Moth. It's a lovely looking aircraft that seems pretty, delicate and rugged at the same time. It looks particularly good on floats too. Some floatplane mods to wheeled aircraft look a bit ungainly to me, but this is so 'right' somehow. The photo at the top demonstrates it.

I've got one of the new-tool Airfix ones in my stash and I'm watching with interest.  Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

The fit of the cowling had been the most problematic part so far, quite a lot dry-fitting and sanding was needed before the part was ready to be fixed. Nevertheless I can't help the feeling the upper curve is somehow "untigermothish". As you can see in my previous post, I added also the lower part of the engine bulkhead from a plastic sheet (and painted it silver).

The central section of the upper wing ready, with some extra detailing by Eduard and myself. And at the bottom as a surprise the four resin wheelbarrow wheels for the land manipulation after rather laborious cleaning. Were they simply classical wood + iron hoop? What do you think?

20180701_DSC_0023.jpg

20180701_DSC_0092.jpg

20180701_DSC_0095.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 12

On 4/29/2018 at 12:28 AM, Scimitar said:

It looks smart too! (couldn't find a photo,only drawing)

113_3.jpg

Hi,

A little trivia of this Tiger Moth "159".

It was flown from Norway to Finland on wheels and ended to the Finnish Air Force as MO-159.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1