Royal Navy Airspeed Oxford - Finished

I've had reasonable success (to me) brush painting acrylic Tamiya Flat Aluminium over a base coat of enamel Humbrol 33. The trouble is the only local suppliers of Tamiya paints are in Ashford & Dover. 

• Like 1

That's interesting. I have never got on with Tamiya acrylics at all.  I found that after laying down some paint then went over again to tidy up and the paint would be dragged off so binned them and stuck with the enamel.  I went to hobbycraft in Ashford the other day and their Humbrol paint stand was low on stock.  

All the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's interesting. I have never got on with Tamiya acrylics at all.  I found that after laying down some paint then went over again to tidy up and the paint would be dragged off so binned them and stuck with the enamel.

The trick, to avoid the paint being dragged off, is to let the paint dry then give it a second (or third or fourth) coat. I can't claim to have come up with this myself... I've just copied Tony O'Toole's method: thin coats with a light sanding between each coat, to remove brush marks, if needed

• Like 1

Crikey I never thought of that. I was a bit younger when I tried them.  I am not sure if I will use them again though  but I do have some Revell Aqua paint I won from SAMI for sending a email once I could see what they are like. 

Cheers fella 

Chris 

Have been watching this one recently and it is coming along very fine indeed. The etch looks amazing and you have done a great job putting that all in place. 

Looking forward to seeing further progress!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martian 

Thank you.  I am doing a machine of the Admiralty flight based a Rochester in the late 40s  serial is PG960 code 612 she is painted in aluminium Wight yellow fuselage and wing bands.

All the best

Chris 

• Like 2

This one really is looking rather nice in her primer coat Chris. All smooth and showing her lovely form :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

As with the other two posts, I have been decaling this weekend and doing house stuff, earning brownie points to cash in with SWMBO when needed.  I have been beavering away at my little workbench in the temporary lounge until my modelling/railway room is complete.  I have to say it is nice as it is sociable, I can still be with everyone and still do some modelling, win win.

07d174a5-4da6-4b8a-959f-c09374d8596f.JPG

I have painted the walkways and the non reflective section on the nose the image below is the first coat.  Then the yellow bands were painted which took four coats of slightly thinned Humbrol 24.  The kits decals went on very nicely and to supplement them I used a lovely sheet of appropriate stencils from H Models which really adds to the overall look of the model.  I am really enjoying this kit I have to say, it is such a great looking aircraft.

The only gripe I have is the undercarriage legs.  They are a bit of  so and so to clean up and one of the axle mounts snapped.  So I am not sure whether to scratch replacement legs.  I have made the rear sections out of brass rod (I usually use this when building my Model railway locos), soldered together, you can just make it out at the top left of the second image.  I may have to do something similar with the main legs but not sure yet.

0d3c92d6-ef8e-4d87-9c37-ac7f8ecf82a1.JPG

43f88511-fa26-4d1d-a89d-fe81d05d89f4.JPG

600c4aec-947c-41ff-9800-55c97b75d10e.JPG

1344ccfb-da0c-4b0a-b4cb-f8b4ee047366.JPG

f6233a1e-78c9-458c-97c3-c7b8ee79e004.JPG

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 16

I really like the way you are finishing this one. I saw that you used Humbrol Gunmetal undercoat, wioch actually looked good in its own right, but what did you use for the top coat? I may have missed it. All looking very good indeed.

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

Looks very nice indeed. The Humbrol 56 has turned out lovely too.

I was trying to work out why your build looks so much more like an Oxford than the Frog one. The Special Hobby kit has a much nicer canopy - the Frog/Novo canopy is very squashed.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. She is now protected in the last gloss coat and the weathering can begin. This will be fairly light. Undercarriage work can carry on too as I have found suitable brass rod and tube.

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Hello Chris,

How did I have missed that one !

Congratulations ! very nice work !

And a FAA one, you're a man of great taste !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1