Royal Navy Airspeed Oxford - Finished

Hi all.

I have been away for some time due to some major building work I have been having done and doing myself .  This is still ongoing, but now I have modelling time too. 

I have been busy on this little beauty which is a limited run kit.  I have also used the rather nice Marabu photo etch set which is quite comprehensive.  The fit is not to bad at all although lots of testing is required along with some fettling. The kits comes with various resin items such as seats although I have used the PE ones, Engines wheels etc.  I am doing an overall aluminium painted Royal Navy Oxford II.

I am going to finish this and a 1/72 Percival Proctor and Lockheed Ventura that I have on the go and move onto a PRU blue phase with a 1/72 Mossie to test paint techniques and then when I am happy with that a 1/48 PRU Hudson. 

b2180fda-780b-4378-a707-f24863023a0f.JPG

f2d44d0c-1f09-4119-9047-c175c3db924c.JPG

887ed393-b441-4541-b61d-2bff7e870ebd.JPG

b44ca054-2124-4d82-b6d1-bcdbf797acf5.JPG

b9c26b75-d3b3-4175-83e4-67d6d67c3ca0.JPG

a6f60034-9014-4202-b555-9fd2f7d14dac.JPG

643b34f3-fb04-40ad-8903-4ff7e693f1ae.JPG

cc56ae49-eac9-4093-a0ed-45008a386132.JPG

884b9b22-55a0-4319-a2c1-67cad6b8257b.JPG

d27a88ce-07bd-434c-b0a3-5c4ed7160fde.JPG

The Cowlings come in two halves and go together much better than I thought they would and the engines sit on pedestals/mounts made out of sprue.  The intakes are resin items which area added to the plastic kit items and look quite good after some fettling.  There are no windows in the roof of the aircraft and I pondered this for a while.  They are quite a prominent feature so I decided to model them using the chain drilling method.  The rears will be done in Crystal Clear, the front ones were cut out and the bit between them was filed down enough to fit some clear sheet and then I made the frame in between flush with some plasticard.  I am quite chuffed with this so far.

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 29

Thanks Edge 

I forgot to mention in the first post.  There is some filling to do. Not too much but the main bit is the forward part of the wing to fuselage joint which, no matter how hard i tried it would not sit flush. I added a small sheet of plasticard and feathered it toward the bomb aimer window however I should have run it all the way to the rear egde of the window as this is also raised.  

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Hi all

Further progress.  The front lower glazing panel is on and a fillet of platicard has been added and shaped to match the to match the profile.  I can now add the cockpit glazing.

78745bf3-e2d6-4517-ad49-f5a25a40090e.JPG

69d37afa-84a0-4f7d-b5c6-1475a2bff60d.JPG

Thanks for looking.

All the best

Chris

• Like 13

Looks wonderful Chris, the Oxbox is an all time favourite of mine and you're doing an excellent job on yours.......but 1/72nd? Too small for my old eyes and fingers!!!. Will keep an eye on your progress.

Max 

Hi Max

Hope you are well.  Thank you for your kind words.  It is a lovely looking aircraft and I have really enjoyed building it so far.  I have the Special Hobby 1/48 scale kit to do one day to and the Anson from them too.  Talking of which. How are you getting on with the 1/32 Anson did you get it finished. I would love to see it.

Thanks and all the best 

Chris 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Max

Hope you are well.  Thank you for your kind words.  It is a lovely looking aircraft and I have really enjoyed building it so far.  I have the Special Hobby 1/48 scale kit to do one day to and the Anson from them too.  Talking of which. How are you getting on with the 1/32 Anson did you get it finished. I would love to see it.

Thanks and all the best 

Chris 

The Anson is still WiP Chris, I'm desperate to spend more time on it but so many other activities (and models!) get in the way.  I hope to get it neat completion for Telford, the 1/32 SIG stand is "100 years of the RAF".  I'm pretty sure the large scale Anson will be a one off!

Rock on with the Oxford.

Best wishes

Max

Hi all

Further update, Canopy glazing on, fit was okay but slightly scwewed although on centre at the front centre pillar.  Filled and now almost ready for some paint.  This is the bit I am not looking forward to as I brush paint and this is aluminium colour which is always a bit of a nightmare to paint, so am going to have a practice before I commit to the model although I have bought some Humbrol primer to paint on first to check for areas that need to be re done first.

be645ea3-22b7-4b99-a76b-644363c0dac6.JPG

d03f63bc-4bec-4afc-af3b-644a626b4fd4.JPG

7f04d3a3-db99-4b38-a664-60c6a7d214e8.JPG

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 13

Hi all

A bit more progress in that the primer is going on now gradually. I am using Humbrol number 1 primer  thinned and brush painted.

Starting to look better now.

3f2757b4-7649-4c09-8bdf-0d7afd3aeb23.JPG

e1c0a137-134a-4203-aa3b-52871029905f.JPG

249344eb-043c-4a93-bc88-de1b327c10fa.JPG

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 14

I've just found this topic - the PE work looks wonderful, unpainted and painted. I like the way you can see things through the bomb aimer's window too. Makes my Frog version in the stash look a bit ropey - although it's short run the Special Hobby/MPM looks very finely shaped. I wonder if the Marabu set fits the Frog one?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

It looks very nice and the PE appears to gave gone together really well. I have the kit and hope I can do as much justice to it as you have. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your kind words. The kit is very nice and goes together quite well. The Marabu etch is vet nice indeed and I am sure it could possibly be adapted. The only bits that may need adjustment are the floor sections and the frame work behind the seats the rest would go in. 

All the best 

Chris 

Very nice. As the others have said the etch looks amazing. Add to that the amount you can see through the canopy, and the good finish on the canopy, all adds up to a great build.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I am certainly enjoying this.  I am not sure about painting it though as I have chosen the aluminium painted option and brush painting this colour can be problematic.  However I have been practising various techniques and have found painting it over gun metal seemed to work best for me , black was okay but the coverage of the Humbrol ally was better over their gunmetal so will go with that.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

OLovely work, the etch looks splendid. I'm looking forward to seeing how the aluminium paint goes on, I paint by brush too and, as you say',it's a tricky colour to do. 

Are you using Humbrol 56 or the Metalcote?

• Like 1

Hi Beard 

Thanks.  I will use Humbrol 56 as I think they were painted all over. Although if there is an ally painted machine with natural  metal cowlings that would be very interesting then I could use the metalcote too. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2