This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
tonyp

DH Dove - Props

HI All

Does anyone know the prop diameter of the Dove? Did it change much with the Riley conversion? try to source some decent aftermarket so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tony

While the diameter may not have changed much, the rotation is opposite. On the standard aeroplane, when you're standing in front of it, the props turn clockwise, as with the props of most British, French and Russian-designed aero engines. On the Riley with its Lycoming engines rotation is in the standard US direction, anticlockwise as viewed from the front.

*Edited because when I typed this I got clockwise and anticlockwise the wrong way round, thanks to Eugenio for catching it*

Edited by Work In Progress

15 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

While the diameter may not have changed much, the rotation is opposite. On the standard aeroplane, when you're standing in front of it, the props turn anticlockwise, as with the props of most British, French and Russian-designed aero engines. On the Riley with its Lycoming engines rotation is in the standard US direction, clockwise as viewed from the front.

Hi, W.i.P.

I'm afraid things are just opposite.
Take a look to this pics. Just wanted to prevent possible mistakes.

Best regards

Converted Dove - Original Dove (don't know why, but you need to right click and open in another window, by me at least)

Eugenio

Edited by 72linerlover
typo

Looking at those pics , the props do rotate the opposite way. Standard Dove has clockwise and Riley dove anti clockwise.

Yeah, he's correct though in that I got my clockwise and anticlockwise the wrong way around.

Pretty stupid, huh? Especially given the number of Chipmunk and Tiger Moth props I've swung over the years.

Have edited my earlier post to prevent later confusion of future readers.

Anyway, the point remains that you need props that go the other war round from those on the standard aeroplane if you're modelling a Riley.

Edited by Work In Progress

To find two 3 blades propellers of the proper size, you can look for a Revell (ex Matchbox) 1/72 DO 28 Skyservant.
Both propellers are by Hartzell.
DOVE: HC-3MVK-2A
DO 28: HC-3MVK-2C; no size difference.
It sholud easy to find a cheap second (or third) hand DO 28, not really a best seller.
Anyway I seem to recall that there is also a full resin Dove Riley kit, perhaps by Magna, but have no idea of its quality.

At this point I don't know if our friend Tony is still interested in this topic, since more than two months are gone, but perhaps for general knowledge...

Best regards

Eugenio