Bv P170 - Coming to the end

Hello Everyone

Following my small contribution to the recent and excellently run Flying Boats and Float Planes Group Build and the support offered to my build (Supermarine Seagull ASR), I am tempted to contribute a WIP to the community.  I see from several recent WIPs and Pabbi's recently posted work that Luft '46 models have supporters here, so if acceptable I would like to offer a Luft '46 build of my own.  Recognising a limited set of build / modelling skills and knowing that I build OOB with very little scratch building and an almost complete disregard for the 100% accuracy requirements of shape, camouflage scheme colours etc. - i.e. building 'my way' - perhaps the BM community might like to help the decision making process. 

The 2 possibilities are both Planet 1/72nd resin models;

1) a Blohm & Voss Ground attack concept           39133829090_9041a413fa_n.jpg

or

2) a Messerschmidt 'destroyer' fighter concept     39850555285_f2803c6b4c_n.jpg  which will not have the 'wiggly' paint job!!

So which would the community like to see me attempt?  I see from looking round the shelves that this will be the 20th Luft '46 model in the collection - and a bizarre lot they look too!!

Thanks for your interest and support

Regards

Andrew

Edited by SeaPlane
Updated photo
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, SeaPlane said:

So which would the community like to see me attempt?

YES!

And when do we get to see the others in your collection?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I wonder if the designers of the HP Victor got a hold of the drawings of the Messerschmidt?

Perhaps not but I have read the the designers of the HP Victor resurrected the same wing planform for the Victor as the crescent wing planfrom devised by Dipl.-Ing. R E Kosin who was Arado's chief aerodynamicist had designed for the Arado 234 V16.   I understand that the wing was assembled and ready for attachment to the aircraft fuselage but before that could be done the assembly plant was overrun by British troops and the wing was scrapped..  Handley Page resurrected this design for the HP 88 and the Victor.

So not so far off the mark as might have been thought!

• Like 2

• SeaPlane changed the title to Luft '46 Blohm & Voss P170

Hello Everyone

Many thanks for the input and the votes - the BV P170 it is then.

A little background on the plane - it's a 1942 design by BV, from the pen of Dr-Ing Richard Vogt, and features on the cover photos of the book 'Luftwaffe Secret Projects Ground Attack and Special Purpose Aircraft'.  It's apparently the first in a series of P170 designs but clarity on the other options is limited.  This was classified as a schnell bomber designed for about 510mph at 26000ft and consequently had no defensive armament.  Powered by 3 BMW 801 radials (with counter rotating props on the 2 outer pods to mitigate torque issues) it should have generated between 5580 and 6300 bhp to pull it through the air.  Bomb load of about 1000kg - it could have been quite a beast!!  (Might have made an interesting contribution to the recent Radials Rock GB!!)

However RLM showed no interest and the proposals were dropped at the end of '42.

On 3/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, Martian Hale said:

The Blohm & Voss is wonderfully bonkers so I would go with that one.

Martian

Martian - thanks for the support; interestingly I think this one is perhaps one of the less 'bonkers' designs Vogt put together.  The 141 is renowned but the  P163 series of designs were IMHO even more outlandish with nacelles at the wingtips for personnel and armaments and his range of asymmetric designs are quite interesting too (P178 and 194 for example), or the prop in the middle of the fuselage as in the 192 series.

On 3/11/2018 at 1:15 PM, Gorby said:

YES!

Gorby - thanks for the enthusiasm. I fear that pictures of the collection might lower the tone of the forum but I'll put some in with the development of this build, putting all the brands together to get a flavour of the design thinking within a corporation.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:08 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Please build either I for one enjoy ‘Luft 46 projects.

I'll try and do it justice for you!

Pat - not to worry on the video - I found that myself and thought it would be good to view.  I think it highlights that the development between paper design and production vehicle would have shown many differences - I think it might have grown a conventional tail and rudder with larger vertical surfaces on the nacelles to aid lateral control but quite what could have been done for the pilot view for ground manoeuvre I'm not sure.  At least I don't have the problem of trying to weight the nose of a 'tail sitter'!!

Enough waffle - I'll crack on with the prep tasks and post a few pictures of the pieces idc.  It'll be quite large at the end of the day, over 7" in the fuselage and just over 10" in the span; a lot of resin.

Regards

Andrew

• Like 3

Hello Everyone

Hope all are well and the modelling developing as required.

In between bouts of inclement weather, the BV has progressed a little.  A few shots of the primary pieces to kick off:

the main resin elements of nacelles, wings and fuselage, wheels and ordnance

27027002748_c3f50ae65a_n.jpg   40855653322_dcf62b6ae8_n.jpg

the undercarriage and bits and pieces  27027005438_b2fe3b32b4_n.jpg   40855654522_4591d22254_n.jpg

and finally the decals (in good shape) and a very yellowed set of 'transparencies'  27027003608_1b9aa970cd_n.jpg   I think the two smaller under fuselage window pieces are beyond repair but the larger elements are probably usable.  I shall be attempting some clear plastic card replacements for those two windows.

So that's the pieces that Planet supply - good detail, smooth surface and few blemishes (at least in this set!)

So cajoling them into some form of assembly, herewith the cockpit;

40855653802_0105ce005a_n.jpg   27027003818_3cfe8d82fd_n.jpg  showing the various seating arrangements, the camera / bombsight on the left hand bulkhead and the various details on the seat and pilot consoles.  The overall cockpit is slightly darker than I anticipated or really wanted but with so little seen when its buttoned up - despite the extensive canopies - perhaps not too bad.  A little touch up required but soon to be enclosed.  The IP sits in the piece that includes the tail structure and looks a little like

this;  40855653972_553d6c08db_n.jpg

So there you have the first installment - comments as always welcomed. 

Tail piece to be assembled shortly and then the challenge of the nacelles and wings.  The odds on me getting everything level and aligned, thus getting more than 3 wheels of the ground at any one time, are long (against) - hey ho.

Regards

Andrew

• Like 9

• SeaPlane changed the title to P170 Pod Racing

Hello Everyone

Many thanks for the comments - clearly Star Wars fans abound and I'm sure someone with greater talent than I could make a great pod racer out of this set of nacelles, tail planes and assorted wires.  Converting the outer nacelles to jets intakes and exhausts and replacing the wings with coupling wires etc would all look pretty cool!!

In that vein, does anyone else think that perhaps the Naboo Royal Starship has a little in common with the Henschel P.87?

26070538607_bf0dbabcc5_n.jpg   40901541042_f56b05c3d5_n.jpg

Thanks for the comment Pat about contacting Special Hobby for replacement canopies - that correspondence is underway and we shall see what we get back.  Immediate Special Hobby responses are very supportive and encouraging.

Martian - you are so right; I think the rectangular glazing on the underside of the fuselage was supposed to be the pilots 'lookout' for the landing exercise, but with the control bar, rudder pedals and any bombardier / navigator sitting on the rear seat I don't know what sort of view he could have expected!!

Anyway back on topic, the pod racer continues with the fuselage now 'tailed' and the nacelles and wings together;

40901528292_093fb087f3_n.jpg  40901528422_421bb9427a_n.jpg

Now to try and bring them together in a stable aligned, sitting square on the deck fashion.

Regards

Andrew

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, SeaPlane said:

Now to try and bring them together in a stable aligned, sitting square on the deck fashion.

Good luck with that.

This could be a three pipe problem solving/thinking session.

I do like that Henschel. I don't think I've seen it before. Anymore pictures?

Thank you Pete for the kind words - and encouragement.  I think I can put a jig together that provides the right angles; we shall see.

As far as the Henschel is concerned, I'll post a few more idc.  I don't have a build log for it so it will really just be more of the same, but perhaps with better lighting  and the undersides too.  I adopted a maritime colour scheme rather than anything more intricate and a Tamiya rattle can of USN Navy Blue did the rest.  Decals silvering a little which is disappointing but otherwise not too bad.

Regards

Andrew

Hello Everyone

Many thanks for the support and comments - looking more Star Wars every day!!

A brief progress report (and photos to assuage the Jockney) plus a few views for Pete in Lincs and Gorbi.

Progress - all the major parts are together, primed and have 1st covers of top coats.  There is even a remote chance the nacelles are level enough to allow all wheels on the ground at the same time!!

Pieces together and primed:  Topside  27336901948_f136c6163f_n.jpg   & underside  img%5D

and then with 1st topcoats applied;

light blue underside 27336902358_42a4734966_n.jpg, on Flickr and dark green topside  27336902688_53853fa151_n.jpg

Obviously some touchups re

• Like 3

Oops sorry guys finger trouble.

As I was typing, obviously some touchups required around the patch but coming together.  Special Hobby have been great about canopies and I await a delivery there.  A basic Light / Dark Green scheme with perhaps some mottling will break up the rather large area of colour that sits alongside me on the desk currently.  It will also allow a disguising of some of the (current) overspray, as I'm attempting a soft demarcation between the upper and lower surface colours.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:03 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I do like that Henschel. I don't think I've seen it before. Anymore pictures?

As promised Pete a couple more shots: 

41166131662_32eb1a5ec3_n.jpg   41211283181_4af2df4961_n.jpg   26070538297_c3457d6b82_n.jpg

whilst for Gorbi

On 3/11/2018 at 1:15 PM, Gorby said:

please enjoy the 2 Henschels in the stable, the P87, as above from Planet, and the (much more conventional) HS 132 from RS Models

41211282321_c9591b51bd_n.jpg41166131922_ca924ce166_n.jpg  41166131092_4af967b37a_n.jpg

As far as the P170 is concerned light green top coat is the next endeavour and the prep of the undercarriage.  The main legs are reinforced with small metal rods as given by Planet and with 3 separate elements to each set of legs with luck I'll be able to construct a reasonably solid and stable platform on which the beast can sit.  The tail wheel is quite solid for the bay at the rear.  The undercarriage doors are finely crafted and simply sit with hinges on the sides of the bays, which should also enable a cover-up of paint overspray!!  The final elements will then be some prep and painting of the engines and props, tweaks to the colour scheme on the nacelles and tail, the DF ring and the canopies - simples!!  Won't be immediate progress though as a short touring break beckons.

As always comments welcomed, thanks for the interest

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

• Like 3

• SeaPlane changed the title to P170 Pod Racing - all stop!!

Hello Everyone

Well I suppose it had to happen given the shape of the thing - failure of the main wing spar means that what was joined together is now split asunder and the port wing was left hanging by a piece of masking tape as the top coats went on.  I don't suspect undue heavy handling or too much hamfistedness but the odds on getting a level aircraft with a repaired port wing have lengthened considerably.  Also means that after more sessions of fill, smooth, sand, repeat, aspects of the painting will have to be redone too.

Hey Ho - will get there in the end, its just a little further away than I thought and perhaps not so simples!!  Thanks for all the support and interest

Regards

Andrew

• Sad 1

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:40, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bonkers!  We like bonkers on here 

It is in fact a membership requirement!

Martian