GeeBee R1 1/48 Dora Wings

Hello,
 just received, just started ....
Several thick layers of spayed Tamiya surfacer to improve the representation of the stringers , taking care to hide the rest not to plug the engraving too fine.
gvzy.jpg

A 0.5x0.5 square profile added to represent the inner fuselage structure.
f1zf.jpg

• Like 8

On 3/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, Martian Hale said:

Nice start. I picked this kit up at Telford and am interested to see how you get on with it.

Martian

Hello Dear Martian !

Once again, We seem to share the same good taste !!

As well as Road runner !

Congratulations !

I have a 1/32 Gee Bee R1 William Bros

And a 1/48 one, testors I think...

The scalloped are raised as are the location for the decals.

Wich one is your ??

I have some docs about that vicious little beasts !

I have an interview of the late Col Doolittle

"Every aircraft can fly by itself, but whatever you can do, the Gee Bee was always tempted by self destruction"

Keep up that great work !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

When Delmar Benjamin brought the GeeBee to France I was lucky enough to air to air it. He is an incredible pilot, I also interviewed him for Aeroplane Monthly's 'Flying Visit' series. He had some interesting things to say about the aeroplane as he was not only a very talented and natural pilot, but a very clever and well-read man who was fascinating to listen to.

I did sit in, when you are inside you get the tailplane in your peripheral vision and there feels like about three miles between you and the firewall and there is an instrument panel there somewhere.

An amazing aeroplane

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

some progresses.
Some thing was wrong with the engine...
wsmi.jpg

...just because it's a R-985 instead of a R1340. So, I replace it by a Vector engine.
ekvr.jpg

Cockpit in place in a half fuselage.
Not really a GeeBee R1 structure, but...
totg.jpg

...little will be visible in the end.
wcxe.jpg

A+

• Like 8

Hi Roadrunner,

Watching with interest. It's developing very nicely at the minute. Shame about the engine but easy to see where the mistake occurred. The R-2 was fitted with the 985 to start with but not the R-1 which had a larger cowl to take the bigger motor. Still, the Vector engine looks much more realistic and more finely detailed so it turned out for the better in the end.

Dave

• Like 1

Great job Road runner !

wich one is your Kit ? Seem to have a future full of putty and sanding !

Welcome to the sander club :P

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• roadrunner changed the title to GeeBee R1 1/48 Dora Wings
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see someone building the kit we reviewed the other day ^_^ I'm doing their other new(ish) release the P-63A Kingcobra at the moment, although I think I've just overtaken you by squirting some paint at it :frantic:

On 20/04/2018 at 17:18, roadrunner said:

Hello,

some progresses.
Some thing was wrong with the engine...
wsmi.jpg

...just because it's a R-985 instead of a R1340. So, I replace it by a Vector engine.
ekvr.jpg

Unfortunately that Vector engine you have used is a WW2-spec engine and not an early 1930s engine. The Vector engine has the governor for a constant speed propeller at the 1 o'clock position and the conduit for the ignition harness ahead of the pushrods rather than behind it. Also, the crankcase is the later design and the oil sump is the larger type used on the WW2-era engines. The Dora kit engine is actually very accurate, apart from the slightly thick push rod tubes.....

Just a titbit of advice - the borders of the red scallop are sometimes represented as black lines, they are in fact blue. The same blue as the red white and blue of the stars and stripes. If you google you will come across some original GEE BEE fabric that proves this. 

Hope the decals are right for you, I built a 1/3rd scale RC place and it took me three years to get the paint right.  I have a gee bee z that has been on the go for nearly 25 years now..........

• 5 years later...