Airfix De Havilland Chipmunk 1/72

This is one I've been building for a chap who asked if my local model club could build him some aeroplanes he flew in as a teenager back at the end of the 1950s and early 1960s. I volunteered for the task. He'd already bought the kits so I had to make use of the models he provided.

As you can see, the version of the Airfix Chipmunk he provided is a recent boxing and comes with markings for one of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight examples. However, he wanted his to be specific to the one in which he flew, WK621, so I had to cobble together the markings using an aftermarket RAF roundel set and a laser printer.
The kit is festooned with unrealistic and far too prominent rivets so these were all sanded away. Other than that, the kit is essentially out of the box.

The real Chipmunk still survives in airworthy condition and is now flying in New Zealand.

0sr7AiQe.jpg

lAccG7Bu.jpg

MZU0d5OL.jpg

Edited by Eric Mc
Correction
  • Like 34

Looks great and just shows that with skills, hard work and patience,  despite its vintage, the old Airfix Chippy can still give the newer AModel kit a run for its money.

Mark.

Mark

You have done a lovely job on that old very rivetty Airfix Chipmunk Eric.

I don't think I would have the courage to build a kit for someone else nowadays. I think he will be very pleased with it.

regards,  adey

• 2 weeks later...