Eduard 1/48 FAA Hellcat Mk.I

Hello Everyone, 

Although I am quite near to the completion of this build, as a new member with Britmodeller I wanted to post my first "Work In Progress" topic for my current project the Eduard 1/48 Fleet Air Arm Hellcat Mk.I.

This is the first Eduard kit I have build and have really enjoyed building it, the detail is very good and the kit went together really easily. Sorry in advance for the number of photos.

idxLfFzQ0bEMM0TB-r89fgepEjPhXVqEjE8gCLdS

XltrW2VmWPU6qBtyeCvGnrX_gCgpCIaANsXQpRe8

T9F0BicgsRfIA8BWhO0FvMjUW1GuNkWDze_JC2Bs

JEcO-sBwICvg-NcQwqEgz62HMjv2WfaXieDl43VE

BWnljgF9SENx8nFk_pf5H0Y7LLxRtX-OMDh9_Zl_

irTRhfdZkV6raxr0y9hc5XiS9M1cPUJNwKqGqMtG

5TP1CKD8mveUAoDBSj4NhyBWqq4DWi1E82BMZ_tr

Cc1_sxbUqpJK-EDaL3gCRlYhdh6GrMN6_31cUIZu

mgJ57R5ACyhU8NQKl4c2RQSjs-d2sXiUVD_RlgSn

6GI0gaql6vmkkhEI5lINo4TgdmVBKHuPH1clcjYr

pR4ZwL453i19ogAlSIdXi0EmOqGbv7V5CPRHp5v_

pIClhbhwWCFvdw02f-vUcKwYCUbOtm6_m0X7PTgE

XLmgr6unIaexdKULMYHbdjJ9Xk5RzAc2TWi_yhFy

CC4XGz0dToRc7uXyW11ppugrTnQtuL0pG64yJWzu

• Like 9

Thanks for all your comments, 

I had a few hours to spend yesterday so managed to finish it. Below is the final stages.

I have a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution SL airbrush and mostly use Vallejo Model Air paints, I really like the Vallejo paints but I do question some of the colours. The colours recommended in the instructions where Olive Drab, Ocean Grey and Sky but I wasn't convinced that the Vallejo versions of these would look right.  Instead, I used Dark Slate Grey (71.309) instead of Olive Drag (71.016) and US Dark Grey (71.110) instead of Ocean Grey (71.273). When it came to Sky I had two choices, 71.306 Sky Blue or 71.407 Sky grey but because the Sky blue was too blue and Sky grey too grey I tested a mix of the two and really liked the result so created my own colour with 50% of both.

Overal I was pleased with the result but I thought the Grey wasn't blue enough so I used Tamiya Clear Blue X-23 as a filter over the grey areas to increase the blue and create a more weathered effect. I also used the Clear Blue as post shading over some of the panel lines which can be seen quite clearly in the image below along the fuselage over the green. Lastly, I used Tamiya Smoke X-19 to create shading in places like the wing root and to tone down the decals.

ijpycCrHseE8cyXXMbPgUTjoS6Yht06UX9tuoV3d

The Kit has plastic guns for the wing that have to be installed when you glue the upper and lower wing surfaces together but I didn't like this because I was sure I would break them so I decided to leave them out and create my own gun barrels from small brass tube later. I also decided to use the brass tube to create the exhausts rather than use the plastic parts as they weren't very detailed. Below are the tubes ready to be painted. 

fFl0GbFIMVQZTMfI5vOuDpWqusCIEKCZPI1E-Pwf

Here you can see my gun barrels, I like them better than the kit parts. Also, you can see the exhaust stains airbrushed along the fuselage, I used black first they created the effect of lead dust using sand yellow 71.278.

bMlWcY2lEMRtSsJ3eIc3yIVLtuFXnK4gI35xikJQ

Installed the undercarriage and fuel tank.

jQQv7n_bR48i1l4It-gOxvL6_B0bBrZ-xhYzTyk8

Standing on her own feet for the first time. 

VWzqVsCA1EsPfKkBWXXxrbDDxhlg6bNALzncMCtp

Last pieces, the masts and radio wire. 

-TOe9q8sqxmssWFZuICqqQb4UMHrGz8qpQLKWj3D

• Like 9