VC10 K.3 ZA150 Open Day and Taxi Run (More added 15/03)

Hi

I attended Dunsfold Park today for the Brooklands Museum VC10 Open Day.

18 guests were allowed on board at a time and were given a briefing of the history of the airframe by volunteers, followed by a cockpit tour hosted by a former East African Airways Captain. Visitors were then permitted to explore the former passenger cabin, which still has the additional fuel tanks installed.

A slow taxi run followed, using the full length of the Dunsfold runway, culminating with a couple of brakes-on high power engine runs.

All in all, exceptional value for the £10 ticket!

726e834e-33a5-49c0-9cfe-90c00bede77f.jpg

673c0e88-25f2-44f6-b95b-c7fa15b84662.jpg

5e6dac48-2608-4b5f-ae76-90c4af0259a0.jpg

c6103fdf-9048-4065-8b51-e4d983df3872.jpg

a1bfcd60-4ef5-467d-b2fa-71efb3f0e69d.jpg

e418c5d9-6772-4e8d-b03a-67cfdac9a781.jpg

3393631d-19ce-4635-be21-ec56748da174.jpg

d7dda8b3-cbee-4d85-b8b1-3318943759e6.jpg

5d0da10e-705a-42fb-87e5-11dc4a8a6faa.jpg

881c341e-7b0b-41e4-814c-f8476898d11d.jpg

I do have some more detail shots, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

Hi Paul

It certainly wasn't heavily advertised! I saw a post on another forum and then bought my ticket on the Brooklands Museum website. They ran a morning session with on-board tour from 10.30, followed by the taxi run at 13.00. The afternoon guests were invited to attend from approximately 12.00 to see the taxi run, followed by the on-board tour.

A very interesting morning, which was excellent value for money.

Lovely shots AD. It's good to see that the Brooklands team are looking after ZA150 so well. She is an historic example and was the last of just 54 Tens built and served faithfully for many years with East African Airways before the RAF acquired her for K.3 tanker conversion. She was also the last VC-10 I ever had the privilege of flying on in 2013. This is a picture I got of her overflying the Falklands with 1435 Flt Typhoons in tow.

39897261975_7dd4f31d02_b.jpg%5B

look like a great day out despite the weather. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for future events.

Mark

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great shot again Leigh! :clap2:  Perhaps could use the full 1280px width to give us a better look?   I'm sure that many of us would appreciate some more detailed views please;  I have an Airfix VC10 tanker and a Roden kit to build, and such images could really help.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

@Latinbear. It wasn't just the cockpit that was a bit different - the incredible sound of the four R-R Conway engines was a bit different to their modern equivalents as well!

@canberraman: Thanks for the history and for posting that beautiful shot of the wonderful old girl still in the service of the Crown! I would certainly recommend attending a future event, and you may even be blessed with sunshine....

@bootneck: I posted the images on another forum with a maximum image size of 800x600, which would account for the lower resolution. I will post some additional, walkaround-type images at higher resolution tomorrow. 

When I was working at Ground Radio at Lyneham I had the misfortune to be by the P.A.R. when VC10 was doing touch and goes. The pilot opened the taps just past where I was standing and it was the loudest thing I’ve ever heard. By comparison the C17 was very quiet... all good fun! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Latinbear said:

Are the cabin seats rear facing? Not what I would call luxury travel!

The RAF VC10s in common with Comets, Britannias, Tristars and probably other troop carriers I've forgotten, all had rearward facing seats. It's only with the arrival of the civil owned Voyagers that this policy has changed. The RAF view, was that rear facing seats offer greater safety in the event of a forced landing or ditching.

Mark

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, canberraman said:

The RAF VC10s in common with Comets, Britannias, Tristars and probably other troop carriers I've forgotten, all had rearward facing seats. It's only with the arrival of the civil owned Voyagers that this policy has changed. The RAF view, was that rear facing seats offer greater safety in the event of a forced landing or ditching.

Mark

Thanks Mark, thought that might have been the case. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, canberraman said:

Mark

Not only in the view of the RAF, it is known to be safer in all .

At my work the crewseats for  cabin attendants at the 737 are also rearward facing ..

The only thing is that most people do not like to travel this way....

Mark is right about those seats, i visited once XV109 at Fairford in the nineties and that one had also the rearward facing layout..

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Other RAF types had rearward-facing passenger seats too; the Hastings T. Mk. 5 and Argosy E. Mk. 1 amongst them.  In an accident involving a rapid longitudinal deceleration the occupan’s back and neck, assuming the seat back is high enough, are completely supported and there is no tendency to whiplash as the seat occupant’s neck and back muscles are not trying to hold the head up against the deceleration.  This is probably why the standard airline “brace” position has the passengers lean forward, thereby removing the natural urge to hold the head up during the deceleration.

• Like 3

The same seat arrangement applied to the Belfast I flew in. I like to think of it, on looking out the windows as a passenger, is its nice to see where you have been and not where you are going:wink:B)

• Like 2