Blue stuff, anybody used it?

Rodders154

From what I've seen of it it's best used with putty rather than casting medium, pressed rather than cast.  The videos make it look very feasible, and I would say try it - but it appears some pressure is needed to form your moulds, and it's also heated, so try it on waste first.

I use something similar, called Oyumaru, for making tiny doors and radomes on 1:144 helicopters.  It has to be warmed up, the warmer it is,  the easier it can be shaped.  Here are some views of the stuff I've made.

Radomes, doors and windows being cast.  The upright door to the left of the 50p shows how thin you can make a casting.

iyomaru_2.jpg

A door for a Sea King

iyomaru_1.jpg

Fitted onto a Sweet 1:144 Sea King

iyomaru_3.jpg

The way I use the compound is to warm up some water in a saucepan, to about hand hot or maybe slightly higher.  Drop in a piece of the stuff for a minute or so, sooner if it is ready; remove it from the water with tweezers and dab dry with paper towelling and then press onto model part.  I find that if the model item is flat, then put the part onto a board and press the stuff down onto it.  If the part is rounded then put the stuff on the board and press the part into that.   I then cool the mould quickly, either putting it outside or shoving it in the fridge for 15 minutes (don't tell smbo!) and then it is ready and hard for casting.

HTH

Mike

Edited by bootneck
corrected spelling of product
  • Like 3

Not sure what pond casting is,  I can only guess that it means one-piece/sided mould.  If so, then yes.  By placing the compound onto the board and pressing the part onto it and try to keep the part level.  The trick, for getting the thin door, is not to pour in the resin but to paint it into the depression.  If the mould is uneven, or concave as in the upright door section above, then I just tilt the mould and 'paint' the resin on the part that is flat.  It sounds tedious but I can get some really fine pieces out of the mould.  The nose-cone is a pour-in cast, but there is a tendency for an air bubble to get trapped at the pointed bottom of the mould.  I use a fine paintbrush or cocktail stick to pop the bubble before the resin hardens.

As has already been mentioned, this stuff is re-usable by just dropping back into hot water, so it is great for making the odd one-off cast without an expensive outlay.

Mike

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Not sure what pond casting is,  I can only guess that it means one-piece/sided mould.

Yes, that's correct.  I didn't know the term myself until an archaeologist friend* saw my first efforts (Silicon Rubber mould) and said "Ah; pond casting!".

*Requiescat in Pace

Edited by Chillidragon

11 hours ago, bootneck said:

I use something similar, called Iyomaru

I've just had a look for this stuff and can't find any references to it anywhere. Where do you get it?

7 hours ago, Gorby said:

I've just had a look for this stuff and can't find any references to it anywhere. Where do you get it?

Just eBay "oyumaru" it will come up. I use it for small parts and cast them with resin. It works great..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Just eBay "oyumaru" it will come up. I use it for small parts and cast them with resin. It works great..

Thanks Steve, I've just ordered some.

• 2 months later...

Very useful product. I picked up some Oyumaru off Amazon £13 for 12 blocks, which considering the re-useable nature of the product, should last a lifetime!

The same stuff is being sold as the aforementioned ‘Blue Stuff’ and ‘Instant Mold’.

As bootneck has said, the warmer it is the better. By the time it takes to get a mug of boiling water from the kitchen it’ll be just right to plop a stick of Oyumaru into. After a few minutes it’ll be nice and soft and will squidge down to whatever you want to cast. If it starts to lose pliability, start again and re-heat it. I cocked up the first few tries by not having it hot enough.

78Ox8Oa.jpg?1

Mart

• Like 1

Ah, I realise that I got the spelling wrong in my post. I've corrected it to Oyumaru now, so thanks for posting this Mart and Steve.  I get mine from Metal Clay Ltd, they have some very useful casting materials.  If you are doing multiple moulds, or you want to keep your mould for further casting,  then it's probably more economical to get the 24 piece pack, scroll down to the bottom of the screen.

Mike

• Thanks 1