Anything but injection GB Chat

26 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Thanks for taking the 'King's Shilling', though clearly in this case it could be expertly fashioned from chocolate and silver foil.

Back to 13 already!

I was working on this today ...

Modelling%20in%20chocolate.jpg

Not a shilling, nor wrapped in paper, silver or otherwise, but ... chocolate seen through the mould. 

I suppose that does count as ''something, not injection moulded" ;)

• Like 1

I’ll throw my hat into the ring for this, although my completion-rate for Group Builds is abysmal. Something fairly simple, me thinks...

11 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

MJ,

Certainly still up for this. If I'm still mustang-obsessed this would fit a CMR P-51H in the stash. Otherwise, the possibilities are endless.

Alan

Welcome, but I wouldn't want to be burdened with the guilt of knowing that this GB led to stash diminution!! It's never happened before; please can I suggest you focus on the 'possibilities are endless'- they certainly are and that way the stash can grow and flourish😍

13 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’ll throw my hat into the ring for this, although my completion-rate for Group Builds is abysmal. Something fairly simple, me thinks...

My experience of vac-form is that there's only a couple of pieces of plastic...then you start the cutting out etc. and there's loads more than you bargained for.

As for completing GBs, I have a very dismal record myself; my worst/best was buying a kit for a GB, I may even have started a WIP of the contents and then loosing it for the duration, well til now. What baffles me is not so much where it is, but what else is in this ancillary stash that I've lost all track of!

• Like 1

I've got so many resin sci-fi kits it would be churlish of me to not enter - Fireball XL5, Studio Scale Angel Interceptor, Studio Scale SHADO Moblie, Moon tank from Space:1999, large Jon Pertwee statuette as Dr Who... etc etc...

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Welcome, but I wouldn't want to be burdened with the guilt of knowing that this GB led to stash diminution!! It's never happened before; please can I suggest you focus on the 'possibilities are endless'- they certainly are and that way the stash can grow and flourish😍

MJ,

You are a bad and evil man, my wife would tell you. 

Alan

8 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I've got so many resin sci-fi kits it would be churlish of me to not enter - Fireball XL5, Studio Scale Angel Interceptor, Studio Scale SHADO Moblie, Moon tank from Space:1999, large Jon Pertwee statuette as Dr Who... etc etc...

A resin Jon Pertwee? I'll not be the one to make cheap comments about stiff acting styles!

7 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

MJ,

You are a bad and evil man, my wife would tell you. 

Alan

She's an excellent judge of character, but we've got resin🤗

2 hours ago, Panther II said:

Too bad I didn't have any resin around.................. :(

Ignore @Angus Tura's very perceptive wife- now's the time to buy some.. vacform, brass etch, white metal, wood, anything goes - this will be The Libertines of GBs!- be careful with the solvent and other substances though

Please count me back in.

I have a few small vacforms in the Stash like:

Airmodel Martin Seamaster P6M-2 1/72

Airmodel Douglas C-124a Globemaster II 1/72

But I'm tempted to build this instead

IMG_4349

Picture from Scalemates

Has anyone built one ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Picture from Scalemates

Has anyone built one ?

cheers Pat

I built that when it was an ID Models kit (later Formaplane) about 35 years ago and it goes together nicely. It needs the intake ducting and beaching gear to be scratchbuilt.

Steve

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritJet said:

I built that when it was an ID Models kit (later Formaplane) about 35 years ago and it goes together nicely. It needs the intake ducting and beaching gear to be scratchbuilt.

Steve

Thanks Steve

What did you do for decals ?

Do you have any pictures of the finished kit ?

Cheers Pat

There's plenty of resin and vac-form enthusiasm and a few of us are pondering card, but what else is out there? Would you believe it, there's wood!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbys-MM24-Matchmodeller-Cabin-Cruiser-Matchstick-Model-Boat-Kit-T48-Post-/123297926416?hash=item1cb5210d10

I guess it comes out like 3d printing and then there's a lot of smoothing to be done. The big advantage is that you don't have to fear the carpet monster because boxes of matches are really cheap.

It will go to vote this fall.  If it gets enough votes it will move onto next year's (2020) GB calendar.  Dates would be determined between the host and Enzo after it makes the cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, helios16v said:

It will go to vote this fall.

We hope ;)

Something like 18 people have signed up for this build so far, and we need 30 people to get into this year's vote*.

* The current threshold of 30 people was introduced in August 2016

4 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

We hope ;)

Something like 18 people have signed up for this build so far, and we need 30 people to get into this year's vote*.

* The current threshold of 30 people was introduced in August 2016

I'm being optimistic.  And part of the reason I joined in, even though timing usually doesn't work out for me.  I'm at least an interested body to try to help get to the 30.  😁

• Like 1

If it isn't going to be for a while (work room needs a re-build) I'll sign up. As Sleeperservice mentioned, I'm on a bit of a scratch-building kick at the mo, so it'll be something scratch-built, but I don't know what yet.

• Like 2

Yes, it won't be until 2020 assuming it makes the lists and isn't languishing on the shelf of doom by then. As for the length allowed, I hope for leniency and a long build time to allow for all that chicken wire to be bent into shape, cottage industry kits to be cast, gold leaf to be delivered and, most importantly to give me a chance to finish which does seem best if I'm one of the hosts.

So  @helios16v please an I add you to the list?