Anything but injection GB Chat

On 6/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, Paul821 said:

We have another 18 days to go

Down to 15 days now, but that hasn't stopped @PeterB, possibly egged on by @JOCKNEY suppplying the necessary to try to combine this with what would be a Blitzbuild in my book! The proverbial KITA for me if Peter gets finished while I'm still in the sidings with my loco!

13 minutes ago, pheonix said:

this has been by far the most interesting GB which I have seen or participated in.

You'ree very kind to mention me, but all I've tried to do it provide a convivial club night atmosphere and I think the response of the 'members' has been the real success in this with so many people pushing the famous performance envelope with advice and encouragement from those who've done it before- and ofter got the scars to prove it!

15 minutes ago, pheonix said:

will attempt to repeat @Marklo success in scratch building an Oertz W6,

I'm not sure that's going to fly as a GB proposal, but I wish you well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

The proverbial KITA for me if Peter gets finished while I'm still in the sidings with my loco!

I had to read that a few times, I thought it said you were siting on the loo !

I think I need new glasses :nerd:

• Haha 1

My two cents, it’s been a fascinating GB so far and I reckon we should just make it an annual event. I read ( almost) all the threads whereas tbh particularly with the STGBs I tend to just watch my own threads and the gallery.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

will attempt to repeat @Marklo success in scratch building an Oertz W6

I appreciate the compliment. Two weeks to get the rigging, interior and engine bits in, doable, ( I’d say about 2 to three hours for the rigging, 1 for the interior and engine mounts, another 2 for general cleanup, maybe another hour for markings and then a couple of hours of general fiddling, so so long as it’s the first thing on the bench for the next two weeks we should be fine)  will probably be like the PB31 which I ended up posting on the last day of the interceptor GB and being the second last gallery entry :) 

@pheonix you’ll have to post a link as I’m fascinated to see how the build goes. Particularly the propellor mount rig. I did wrestle with the scales as although 1/48th is my default it makes for a big model and might have ended up fairly delicate, I’m glad to say however that for the most part my construction methods have resulted in a light yet ( reasonably) string model, I’d still be nervous at the thought of scaling it down by 50% though. Still I don’t doubt from following your previous work that you have the skill to pull it off.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Marklo said:

My two cents, it’s been a fascinating GB so far and I reckon we should just make it an annual event. I read ( almost) all the threads whereas tbh particularly with the STGBs I tend to just watch my own threads and the gallery.

Not quite so eclectic as this GB but there is a proposal from @LorenSharp that would bring back a version of it for next year

And of course the year after you can put up a proposal for a straight scratch-build one!

Anyhow, I don't know why we're all being so reflective- there's still a couple of weeks on this one to run yet! 

• Like 1

Bonus kudos to @Paul821 and @PeterB for deciding that this GB has been far too relaxed and adding in a late show blitzbuild to the equation! What can I say, inside tow weeks remaining is clearly plenty of time to build something🤔

For us mere mortals... looking across at the Africa GB that has just drawn to a close, the completion rate in this GB is even higher which has got to be impressive. Perhaps us modellers get a perverse pleasure in not being beaten by these materials.

• Like 2

A glance out of the window at the solid 8/8 low cloud over East Anglia this morning reminds me of two things

1. It's the first of July, so there's 11 days left in this GB
  2. The British summer, and especially the meteorological phenonom that is Wimbledon Fortnight is ideal modelling weather

Time to crack on!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

With 3 and a 1/4 days to go it's time for a concentrated effort on my four current builds, this is the state as off 20:00 hrs this evening.

DSC04974

I am fairly confident of getting them all into a Gallery by Sunday.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, Mjwomack said:

this GB has been far too relaxed and adding in a late show blitzbuild

A certain football game not withstanding is anyone up for a Blitzbuild to end this most enjoyable of GB's? The only rules are that the build must meet the criteria of the overall GB and go from start to completion between 00:01 (BST) Saturday and the end of the GB. I certainly have at least one card kit on my computer that I might try to get through in this time.

I've never entered a blitz build in my life; but this would merely be an splendid finale to a wonderful GB. And I have got a scalemates yard office (the n gauge version of your one) ready and waiting, so really what can possibly go wrong

Cue the cavalry charge 🎉🧐😁

• Like 2

Anymore for anymore? We're up to 112 build threads, which is very impressive; especially as 46 of them are already in the gallery, and if I've kept track there's another 6 which are complete but feeling camera shy and not transferred across to the gallery yet.

As I said, long ago, I don't know how many actually builds there are, but there's been 2 boats in one thread, numerous airfield vehicles in another etc. so its probably close to 125 builds; which is a lot of modelling in alternative media! 

All this and still as good as 12 hours to go-what not to like?

• Like 2

Well I supported this GB from the beginning but due to unexpected change in work commitments I have lacked the time to build one of my planned elaborate scenes - my Vampire Movie production scene will have to wait 👿

So I have started a super-blitz build to get something through before the buzzer!

• Like 1

What an incredible Group Build that was! There was a fantastic array of subjects and materials, and the quality of the results amazing.

Thanks to mine hosts for keeping us all on track!

Ray

• Thanks 1

I fully agree with what @Ray S @Heather Kay and @pheonix said.

Despite rather too many years modelling working in this GB has taught me, or reinforced, a number of things:

the existence of Watercolour pencils

that you can buy a straight edge with a safety guard

Don't rely on cheap knives if cutting large amounts of 2mm thick card

That the pound shop substitute for Pritt stick does not work

That having a Display only diary is a great idea

I now have a LMS for the first time in many years

That @Mjwomack is a great host for a GB

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I hesitate to reply to this thread as its currently sitting on 666 replies, but needs must and I can become the "Neighbour of the Beast".

This has been a thoroughly enjoyable GB even though I only finished one of my 3 proposed builds :D Its been great to see so many alternative building styles and techniques along with unusual subjects. Can we do it again next year please? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for hosting a great group build MJW, it has resulted in a good variety of models and materials, as well as being a lot of fun. I am only sorry that I didn't get around to building my Metcalfe card kit of a Settle & Carlisle Station, that will be one for the future.

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Likewise from me, I was able to combine old with new in this GB.   I have resurrected my long-forgotten liking for scratchbuilding with balsa, cardboard and PVA glue; plus including new ideas with CAD and 3D printing.   An excellent subject for a GB and I am looking forward to ABI-2.  My thanks to Michael for the encouragement, cajolling and banter throughout.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the words of Sgt Pepper,

'You're such a lovely audience, We'd love to take you home with us'

Oh wait, you're all here in my house by the wonders of technology. But MY thanks to everyone who has taken part, I always knew that I didn't have the knowledge or expertise to be a 'conventional' leader sort of host, but I was equally confident that there was everything that anyone could need within the BM Massive, and you all came good!

Sorry to have been a bit quiet today, but the four-letter word got in the way and I had a 'job' interview (see I can't bring myself to say the other word). Hopefully I'll get the poll up and running tomorrow.

@Paul821 I think for many of us there is enough competition in life hence my liking a display only gallery (I'm sure it's been done before) but there was also self-interest because I was hoping to make the poll easier to administer. Even so there's 33 entries in the competition gallery so it goes onto two screens of voting- hence I need a day to get my head to round it.

There are roughly another 30 in the display section so if they'd all been in the same gallery I seriously doubt If I'd have been able to cope with the poll.

Before the poll goes live, good luck to all the entrants and even more luck to the voters, because looking through I've no idea how to call it- I'm planning on 5 votes because 5 seems a topical number! And in the display section there are some equally mind-blowing builds! Happy browsing.

@Kallisti @nimrod54 @bootneck I don't know enough about how you'd get this to be an annual event. Already the calendar is filling up with the classic firms, maybe it could go in a rotation with those? Also, there are rules about a topic coming round too soon. I guess the start point is supplications, possibly bribes, to @Enzo Matrix!

In the meantime though, our own @LorenSharp is canvassing for a similar one next year

@Paul821 is promoting one that lends itself to etch and scratcbuilding at the very least

And because it's an inviolate rule of the universe that as soon as you buy a resin or vac-form, someone produces the IM version, I suspect there's plenty that could show up for this one with @Adam Poultney

Finally (for now) although there's plenty on here who've shown they can turn their hands to anything, @AdrianMF would probably welcome ever more extreme forms of modelling (he did bring us the Snargasher after all!)

But that' my lot for one evening- I need a lie down!

• Like 7

Has this GB expired now? My build isn't finished so I'll start a new thread when I get back to the modelling bench, I have decals printed and they just need varnishes then I will move on with the build

FWIW I would rather not have voting and competition in GBs. I have enough of that IRL. 

The only question that matters is “who has the most fun?”. And the only answer that works for me is “we all did”!

I have had a blast in this GB, everything from card models including Terry Pratchett’s university, through New Street track layouts, outlandish flying and wheelie things and even more outlandish Oertzes (sp?) to Swedish painters of nudes. A brilliant GB and thanks so much for putting it together!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Has this GB expired now?

This has absolutely never happened to me! Oh, there's evidence in my stash of kits brought for a GB that I missed both the beginning and the whole duration of (whoops), hopefully I've not slumbered quite so much this time around; one thing about being host is that it makes you concentrate