Anything but injection GB Chat

1 hour ago, GrahamCC said:

In any case, there are handful of online retailers from which I can get supplies but nothing beats being able to go into the local hobby store and see the goods first hand.

It was sooo good to be back today! Spent a lot more than expected and did'n get half of what I'd hoped for- probably just as well that I couldn't get everything on my list!

On 4/10/2021 at 10:36 AM, Mjwomack said:

Modellers in England, we only have to get through one more weekend before we can descend on the local model shops and stock up again (I still think there were always essential retailers), which makes me think that next week will see a flurry of progress. 

Equally though, the weather here is so cold and grey that it's a great weekend for getting some modelling done- that's a nudge to me really!

We all need a nudge at the best of times, these aren't even OK-ish.😧

Even some small businesses that have been on-line are starting to feel the burden. My go-to place for Mek is taking a break 'to get some sun' which I can't fault I think he spoke for many when he said 'it's seems like the last news was a meteorite strike in Mexico and dinosaurs going extinct, next was Covid precautions, and here we are millions of years later'.

Of course the one item I need to build the suspension on my project is the one size I've run out of.....doing other bits but I need to get that right before I can finish the big bits. Ho Hum.

• Like 1

After finishing Shcherbakov by Broplan I am close to start another Broplan vacu - the Caproni 111. I think I will come with it to this GB....

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

I mentioned earlier in one of my build threads that one of the biggest problems was researching the markings for my tanks, and I have been using amongst other things a copy of the "census list" which gives serial numbers. Here is an example.

cen

Quite why anybody would want to post an M7 or Sexton I don't know, but Royal Mail must have really been on the ball if they could handle a 57000 lb parcel!😆

The M7 was a US Gun Motor Carriage mounting their 105mm gun and the Brits bought quite a few, but then replaced them with the Sexton which carried the British 25pdr gun and was right hand drive - apparently for ease of ammunition supply. Both looked very similar but whereas the M7 was based on the US M3/M4 Medium tank chassis and cost £15470, the Sexton was based on the Canadian Ram tank design which was itself an attempt to improve the US M3 Lee/Grant by fitting the main gun in a turret, as the Americans later did with the M4 Sherman. Why exactly the Sexton should cost £4530 more is a puzzle!

This has been an interesting GB for me at least and I have learnt quite a bit.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

This has been an interesting GB for me at least and I have learnt quite a bit.

And I in turn have learnt a lot from your builds. 

I think either the Sexton or the Priest with p&p included was a bargain!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don't think my build that I started will ever get off the ground any time soon. Looking at other builds of the Welsh Models Valiant I think I've definitely bitten off more than I can chew with that kit. 

Would a complete disassembly, strip and repainting of a diecast model count for this? I've got a Valiant diecast I've been intending to turn into an acceptable model for months now

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Unfortunately I don't think my build that I started will ever get off the ground any time soon. Looking at other builds of the Welsh Models Valiant I think I've definitely bitten off more than I can chew with that kit. 

Would a complete disassembly, strip and repainting of a diecast model count for this? I've got a Valiant diecast I've been intending to turn into an acceptable model for months now

I think that would be a very valiant attempt 🙄. Knock yourself out, though not with any solvents for stripping the paint. 

Personally I'll watch this with great interest because from time to time I've wondered about stripping and detailing a die cast tractor

1 minute ago, Mjwomack said:

I think that would be a very valiant attempt 🙄. Knock yourself out, though not with any solvents for stripping the paint. 

Personally I'll watch this with great interest because from time to time I've wondered about stripping and detailing a die cast tractor

Awesome, I'll start as soon as I've finished my Whitley for the Unarmed GB

• Haha 1

Would a diecast repaint less comprehensive then Adams count, got this matchbox P-51 to repair the prob and change the scheme? Won't be dissembling it as can't find the second screw nor stripping it just sanding it to key in the new paint 

51160453077_979bb786ba_b.jpg

1 minute ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Would a diecast repaint less comprehensive then Adams count, got this matchbox P-51 to repair the prob and change the scheme? Won't be dissembling it as can't find the second screw nor stripping it just sanding it to key in the new paint 

Not sure, TBH. To me it does not seem like "building a model" 

Much as I want to say yes to everything and let everyone have a good time after a lousy year... I think this does fall down on the 25% rule; @Adam Poultney got round that by dismantling the model and effectively maklng his own kit. Which , as you say, is a whole lot more than changing a propellor.

Well, it’s my birthday today and Mrs MF managed to find me an appropriate card, bless her:

FC5-C036-B-917-B-412-D-A439-D619-BB1-C73

it was one piece, so I guess it doesn’t count, although the undercarriage required some tricky folding and I’ve had to make some bracing to hold the wing dihedral...

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, it’s my birthday today and Mrs MF managed to find me an appropriate card, bless her:

FC5-C036-B-917-B-412-D-A439-D619-BB1-C73

it was one piece, so I guess it doesn’t count, although the undercarriage required some tricky folding and I’ve had to make some bracing to hold the wing dihedral...

Happy birthday! One day off mine (yesterday)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll add to the congratulations. According to my mystic spreadsheet- if you'd done a build thread for this it would have been build number 100, not that I'd suggest for one moment that that wold have had any connection whatsoever with your age!

With @AdrianMF missing out on the chance for build thread number 100 on his birthday, here's a little nudge for some other builds...

@bootneck I feel in part that I lured you down the rabbit hole of model railways but there is still a 3D Parker build stuck in the traffic of Birmingham city centre😜. Also, @Kallisti @wellsprop @John @zebra it's fallen to @Pin to blaze the trail for 3D printing. I can't pretend to understand how it works, but it would be reassuring to know that you haven't succumbed to a computer virus!

In a completely different direction, @MarkSH I do hope your Royal Marine hasn't been stood down.

Oh @Jinxman please don't leave me as the only car in the GB- I'll admit that I thought they'd be more resin cars in this as it is.

And... @SleeperService has the SU101 stalled for a third time? Comrade Stalin won't be happy!!!

Right, that's enough 'calling out' for one day, let's all fit in some modelling (me included- nice thing about being the host is I don't have to list myself🤐)

• Like 2

If I have time, I might add my rebuild of the Leyland Tiger bus; in West Midlands livery of course.

spacer.png

and...  if I have even more time left, then I might also contribute this bus station to go with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Who am I fooling??????????  :banghead:

Mike

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

With @AdrianMF missing out on the chance for build thread number 100 on his birthday, here's a little nudge for some other builds...

@bootneck I feel in part that I lured you down the rabbit hole of model railways but there is still a 3D Parker build stuck in the traffic of Birmingham city centre😜. Also, @Kallisti @wellsprop @John @zebra it's fallen to @Pin to blaze the trail for 3D printing. I can't pretend to understand how it works, but it would be reassuring to know that you haven't succumbed to a computer virus!

In a completely different direction, @MarkSH I do hope your Royal Marine hasn't been stood down.

Oh @Jinxman please don't leave me as the only car in the GB- I'll admit that I thought they'd be more resin cars in this as it is.

And... @SleeperService has the SU101 stalled for a third time? Comrade Stalin won't be happy!!!

Right, that's enough 'calling out' for one day, let's all fit in some modelling (me included- nice thing about being the host is I don't have to list myself🤐)

Wilco - been sidetracked by life in general, but will be back on the case this evening!

37 minutes ago, bootneck said:

If I have time, I might add my rebuild of the Leyland Tiger bus; in West Midlands livery of course.

spacer.png

and...  if I have even more time left, then I might also contribute this bus station to go with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Who am I fooling??????????  :banghead:

Mike

Go large or go home. There's no doubting your ambitions 🤗

30 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Wilco - been sidetracked by life in general, but will be back on the case this evening!

Ah yes life. I am aware of the concept 🤷, never been able to get my head round really

• Haha 2