Anything but injection GB Chat

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

'

On the philosophical question about how many parts are needed to constitute a model- though @nimrod54 and I have both been driving the parts count down,

Well my A30 Challenger will be close - should be only 3 parts but I am having to replace a hatch cover moulded in the open position which broke off - I much prefer it when they give you the choice of open or closed but there we are!😆 I suppose a "model" can have as few parts as 1 whilst a "kit" needs at least 2.

Pete

• Like 1

Oh my days! We're not even 4 days fully into this build but already the cat's eaten my homework, or a least thumped my model off the table. @CliffB has subtly changed his build, @English Electric has completely changed his, but @Paul821 has powered straight through it all and claimed first into the display gallery.

All quicker than I can update the spreadsheet!

Probably a good point to remind everyone that there's two galleries for this GB, the one for display only, where you will earn the admiration of the BM massif and the other for the competition vote where as well as the admiration of the BM massif who have the chance to say that you won a competitive vote.

Hopefully that will solve some of the problems of a poll going over multiple screens.

Meanwhile, happy modelling everyone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Never got that vac moulding done

Maybe I'll get to do a session of vac-ing this weekend

We're here until July! and given all the scratch builders who've rocked up, I'm worried that not making your own parts breaks the rules, which as I wrote the odds must be a deep rooted problem in me!

Looking to expand my card based Architectural Portfolio I came across this site:

http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

It's a good job that my interests are geographic specific otherwise having an R100/R101 + Cardington Airship shed might have tempted me. However an interesting range there for anyone who wants a challenge.

• Like 3

I’m going to try a couple of firsts here:   

-My First time joining one of these GBs.

-My first resin kit.  I’m using this GB as motivation to build a kit I’ve wanted to add to my US Coast Guard collection for a long time: the Sikorski HH-52 Sea Guard.  I’m going to build the Whirlybird 1/72 kit.

If I understand the process, I should start a WIP post now, with a photo of the kit before I get building...?

-Bill

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

I’m going to try a couple of firsts here:   

-My First time joining one of these GBs.

-My first resin kit.  I’m using this GB as motivation to build a kit I’ve wanted to add to my US Coast Guard collection for a long time: the Sikorski HH-52 Sea Guard.  I’m going to build the Whirlybird 1/72 kit.

If I understand the process, I should start a WIP post now, with a photo of the kit before I get building...?

-Bill

Welcome aboard! 

And as another week disappears in a cloud of resin dust and vac-form shavings, I hope you're all having a lot of fun. It's certainly a lot of fun, if tiring, looking at all the builds. And how many builds? Well the mystic spreadsheet says there's 45 builders at work on 69 builds, but that's a lie! At least, @Heather Kay @Paul821 @PeterB @Parrahs and @Fifer54 have got what I'll call multi buys going on, or maybe they're GBs within the GB. Either way I have simply lost count of how many builds are actually going on!

I'm on firmer ground though in saying that resin is buy far the most popular material of choice. WW2 and Cold War are the preferred time periods, which is the same as in the Africa GB- I'm sure manufacturers already know what we like to make though!

The important thing is to keep making it and enjoying it- plenty of time to go for the making of it. Which is good news for me at least!

• Like 2

Unlike me, the message board never sleeps! A beginning and an ending took place while I was sleeping..

Apologies to @wellsprop for missing out your build; I've added it to the mystic spreadsheet and you take the 3D build contingent up to 5, level pegging with the old school white metal peeps and the catch-all category of 'various'.

And congratulations to @John Masters for proving that sometimes a tractor is fast and being second into the gallery. Built so quickly that on the spreadsheet I still had it as sprue shots (whoops).

The spreadsheet is here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YJFjvti0qJ19uoKnR8a6no1cRPGQKI4F4-pa5-TUlp8/edit#gid=1858253996 

Feel free to update your builds, click on the links in column A to see what your missing and please let me know if I've missed you off completely.

Meanwhile, have a Sunday Funday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just to show how bad my memory is I have only just remembered I have a resin Sopwith Dolphin in 1/72 - given the speed the tanks are going at I might just have a go. I also have a bag full of Vac Form WWI biplanes but I doubt they will get made this time round - the thin single piece wings worry me!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

As I'm a generous soul (honest) I have a one-time offer for the purposes of this GB... I have a KPM resin 1/72 MiG-3 going spare for building - but ONLY for this GB

It's a flaming awful  challenging kit, so would be perfect for the clinically insane  an experienced resin builder who could show us some of the tips and tricks - such as how to straighten a wing that looks like a humpback bridge reshape some slightly deformed parts, and so forth...

Obviously it's gratis please take the abhorrent thing away but - once again - it is for this GB and not as a stash filler.

Anyone willing to take this on?

C

On 27/03/2021 at 20:56, Mjwomack said:

............or maybe they're GBs within the GB. 

GBs within the GB?  Surely not!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Mike

• Haha 2

See my post on @stevehed's Joystick Albatros CI thread for a list of vacform WWI biplanes I want to get rid of for the cost of post and packing.

OK, forget the above as they have already been spoken for!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Clearly we're into a long weekend of modelling judging by the flurry of activity on the builds. And new threads keep appearing; the mystic spreadsheet now has 48 modellers working through 76 threads... I'm relieved to discover that it can handle several thousand rows (though I doubt if I can). There are certainly more than 756 builds going on, I think a more accurate number is around 90. As ever apologies if I've missed anyone, as someone else said, you go for a cup of tea and when you come back your build is on the second page! I've been through several times and think everyone is listed, but let me know if I've missed you out.

Now for the English element, we'd better crack on before hardy relatives come and sit in the garden to enjoy the rule of 6 freedom, and catch hyperthermia; the forecast is wintery showers for Monday- ideal modelling weather methinks!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

What?  stuff already being posted in the Gallery?   Has this GB started?  :frantic:

Scandalous isn'lt it?!! I blame lock down and everyone being cooped up with nothing to do but make models.

• Haha 1

Evening All,

I am keeping to the habit of a lifetime ie I am late to the party. I do hope that there is room for one more idiot modeller to join in, especially as I have the honour to have been mentioned in the first post on this thread. In fact I have started (just) a new project so I think that under the rules I can enter it. It will not be as complex as the Dornier Rs II flying boat but it will be another scratch build and probably of a type that few will have heard - the SIA SP 2, an Italian pusher biplane from 1916. I will rush over to the other board and put in an entry showing what I have managed to mangle make so far. It is possible that I may be able to make a second entry if I can get the current one finished in my normal time frame for a small 1/72 scale project.

Thanks for letting me in.

P

Edited by pheonix
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 19:20, Paul821 said:

Although I have at least 4 four more legitimate architectural models lined up for this GB, I would like to tackle this..

DSC04894

it's a Amera 1/72 - 1/76 vac formed Nissen Hut, which I acquired many years ago. These are the makers of the  Vac-Forms that appear in a number of Airfix sets.

May I question its origins? I think it looks like a Bellona vac Nissen.

Amera are a recently new business

I've still not got the part vac moulded.

But on a more positive note, I've bought something for my build. Bought from an ebay seller. He's decent enough but very slow in posting anything. Might be end of next week before my buy is delivered

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

May I question its origins? I think it looks like a Bellona vac Nissen.

No certainly Amera - this is their S212 Nissen Hut, they do also make a 6 windowed version  which is a more recent issue.. As for being "new" Amera did start business in 2003. I have looked before but can find no link between the companies except that some of their products are very similar looking but the Bellona were more detailed.

• Like 1

The post above reminds me of something. Many years ago - probably early 1970's I saw an advert for vac-formed conversions for the Airfix Sherman and Grant tanks - vac formed replacement bodies and sand shields. Fine for the Sherman but the cast bodied Grant was it seems mainly kept back for training. I cannot for the life in me remember who made them but I wonder if it was Bellona - any thoughts? I probably bought it from BMW in Wimbledon and I think it was my first ever mail order - had to send a Postal Order!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Modellers in England, we only have to get through one more weekend before we can descend on the local model shops and stock up again (I still think there were always essential retailers), which makes me think that next week will see a flurry of progress. 

Equally though, the weather here is so cold and grey that it's a great weekend for getting some modelling done- that's a nudge to me really!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 12:06 AM, PeterB said:

The post above reminds me of something. Many years ago - probably early 1970's I saw an advert for vac-formed conversions for the Airfix Sherman and Grant tanks - vac formed replacement bodies and sand shields. Fine for the Sherman but the cast bodied Grant was it seems mainly kept back for training. I cannot for the life in me remember who made them but I wonder if it was Bellona - any thoughts? I probably bought it from BMW in Wimbledon and I think it was my first ever mail order - had to send a Postal Order!

Pete

You are correct, this provides the answer

http://vintagewargaming.blogspot.com/2009/10/bellona-landscape-and-battlefield.html

they are on the last page of the price list.

Work continues on my Gloster Nene Machine build but I must take some time to carefully review it's current state. I have encountered some issues which I need to think through before going much further.

In the mean time however, I have other plans.

When this group build started I had no resin or vac form kits on hand other than a few Small Stuff resin 1/48 rotary engines kits. 

You may not think of these Small Stuff engines as kits but the 1/48 scale Clerget 9B has 74 resin parts. I had considered building one of these for this build and I might still do.

Resin and vac form kits being esoteric, special, and out of the norm modeling fare, are not something that is commonly found in your typical Canadian hobby store. The only examples I have found are usually kits from someone stash that they have sold or traded on or from their estate which the store has purchased.  It is usually necessary to import these type of kits from overseas often at great expense.

You might get the impression by my choice of the Gloster E.1/44 subject of my current build that my interests tend to lean towards the less common types. In that vane and quite by accident while searching the internet for reference material on these types of subject I quite by accident stumbled across a listing on eBay for an Olimp Pro-Resin 1/72 Fairey FD.1. In fact, the seller also had the Olimp kits of the Boulton Paul  P.111 and P.120. Good things come in threes, the asking prices where decent and a deal was struck. I am no waiting on Canada Post for delivery any day now. 

When these kits arrive and after a quick review, I think I will likely start on the Fairy FD.1  

cheers, Graham

• Like 3

On 4/10/2021 at 9:36 AM, Mjwomack said:

Modellers in England, we only have to get through one more weekend before we can descend on the local model shops and stock up again (I still think there were always essential retailers), which makes me think that next week will see a flurry of progress. 

Equally though, the weather here is so cold and grey that it's a great weekend for getting some modelling done- that's a nudge to me really!

These round a bout "lock downs" are certainly frustrating. Here in Ontario Canada we have just entered into another 28 day "stay at home with only essential retailers remaining open" period. It has become a bit of farce as many make excuses to justify their travelling and congregating out and about. 

To be fair, the provincial government is trying to do the right thing but it also seems they are trying to do it in such a way to as to keep everyone happy all the time which all know usually has the opposite effect.  In any case, there are handful of online retailers from which I can get supplies but nothing beats being able to go into the local hobby store and see the goods first hand.

As for the weather, we are now three weeks into spring and here it has been so far a very nice spring with temperatures well above normal. The two feet of snow has all gone but the ground is still frozen in places. There is much yard work to do - the grass needs a good raking or two, pruning, cleaning, changing the oil in the snow blower and putting away, etc. It has been on the dry side however, and we do need some rain which thankfully is in the forecast. Busy daze of Spring cleaning means not so much time in the workshop.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1