Anything but injection GB Chat

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

I had noticed. I’m just building myself up to do some paint stripping. :yahoo:

Hi Heather,

May be totally wrong but I seem to remember that in one of your builds you were wondering about  using an Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance body - I have one spare if you need it. However, I suppose using an injection body would make it ineligible for this GB though.

Cheers

Pete

4 minutes ago, PeterB said:

However, I suppose using an injection body would make it ineligible for this GB though.

That's a very good point. I think the Morris may well be left for another time. I’ve already committed loads of builds!

I’ve actually got a couple of spare bodies in the stash somewhere, but I do appreciate your offer. Mind you, the shape is pretty straightforward to scratch if I get stuck.

Yes, sorry to be a killjoy, but it would take a lot of extra detailing elsewhere to keep the Airfix body under the 25%, and as we're a spirit-led hippy commune on here, I do feel it would go against the spirit of the GB even if the letter was circumvented! One to save for the Unarmed GB- I've a feeling even after hardly 12 hours of this GB that a lot of refugees from this are going to migrate into that one😆

As for committed to loads of builds? I sympathise, somehow I've got up to 4 without trying (whoops).

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

For anyone who hadn't noticed- we're off and running. Especially in the case of @PeterB who has extra kudos for kicking up a cloud of resin dust as he hared across the desert in the middle of the night. Peter's builds are more than just a build, they're a complete history of British tank design and absolutely fascinating.

Hi @Mjwomack

Thanks for the that - I am flattered!

I see you have a display only gallery which is unusual but I think is a good idea. As I may have mentioned earlier, when I was mad enought to decide to enter my first GB back in June 2019, I was in the process of building/refurbishing a batch of tanks used by the Brits in the Western Desert - JB Models Vickers Light Tank Mk VI (later reboxed by Airfix), Hasegawa Stuart, Fujimi Matilda II and Valentine, Milicast Sherman and Grant to be precise. All work on them stopped, but as I will have the paints out for this GB I will be finishing them off in parallel. They are of course not eligible for this GB because they are either injection or over the 25% limit, but I will no doubt show them in passing from time to time for comparison, and I wondered if I could perhaps post the odd "group photo" of them with the ones I am now building in your excellent GB - possibly in your display only gallery as it would give a more complete background history? For example, my "Cruisers- Part I" build will include the A9, A10 and A13 used in Operation Compass, but the Matilda II and Light Mk VI were also involved.

Just a thought!😆

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

If it’s tanks you want then land ships has a slew of downloadable models. Mostly WWI I used them as the basis for a scratchbuilt Saint Chomand and a Schneider Ca1 basically building in plastic card instead of paper ( the two on the left). The Sturmpanzers also scratch the rest are kits. 

http://www.landships.info/landships/models.html#

50058463447_c9fe75e837_c.jpg

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Very nice,

I shall have to look at the site and see what I might be able to do about the "Chars" - one good thing about the early tanks is that they have mostly pretty straightforward shapes. Incidentally, and as you probably know, your Whippet should be the other way round to match - it is a very weird design that always looks back to front to me!

Cheers

Pete

3 minutes ago, PeterB said:

one good thing about the early tanks is that they have mostly pretty straightforward shapes.

Actually the running gear and tracks were  the trickiest  of the builds. For the saint chomand I cut down a pair of tracks from an Airfix Sherman for the other two I scratch built the tracks out of separate plates.

• Thanks 1

Thanks,

I will have to think about that. I have the Airfix Mk I Male and Female, ditto the Emhar Mk IV, Medium A and A7V, and the Renault FT from the Matchbox Char BI Bis kits, but I would like both a Schneider and a St Chamond to go with them and AFAIK nobody makes them in 1/76, not even Milicast though they have added 2 versions of the A7V and a Whippet in recent years so who knows?

Cheers

Pete

Ok there seems to be a be a nasty rumour that I snort resin dust!!!  :drunk: No I don't, I just like to make angel shapes in the resin dust! :D

It's nice to see lots of resin model bit there's always room to try and inspire members to come across to the dark and dusty side of modelling. :devil: So I'll be posting here over the coming weeks some big resin projects I've done, plus just some pure resin p0rn as well! :yikes:

First off..... everyone knows rocking horse :poop:is rare, well this model makes look as common as (insert something really common....)..............

.................... Fisher Model & Patterns 1/32nd Red Baron RB-51 Unlimited Reno Mustang!

DSCF1255-M.jpg

I found this on evilBay way back in 2012 for a ridiculously cheap price ($110 USD or maybe less I think), I've only ever seen one since and it went for around $800USD! Now gosh I could see them going for 4 figure prices!

The resin moulding work on this is the best I've ever seen, even better than the other Fisher models I have (4), Fisher was considered one of the best producers of resin model there was. Most of the major parts are hollow cast complete for fuselages or a complete single solid cast for wings. 

DSCF1256-XL.jpg

DSCF1257-XL.jpg

DSCF1774-L.jpg

It has been started but I found the build to be very intimidating and at the time I didn't think I quite had the skill to pull it off properly.  The cockpit is almost complete...... and yes the floor is real wood (veneer) just like in the real thing.

cockpit%20details-XL.jpg

I do intend to complete her soonish..... just need to stay away from GB's for a while, which seems to be very hard for me. :D

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

A nice thing about card models is you can print them out to match any scale

How long before someone breaks cover and starts lobbying for an exclusively card and paper GB?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi @Mjwomack

Thanks for the that - I am flattered!

I see you have a display only gallery which is unusual but I think is a good idea. As I may have mentioned earlier, when I was mad enought to decide to enter my first GB back in June 2019, I was in the process of building/refurbishing a batch of tanks used by the Brits in the Western Desert - JB Models Vickers Light Tank Mk VI (later reboxed by Airfix), Hasegawa Stuart, Fujimi Matilda II and Valentine, Milicast Sherman and Grant to be precise. All work on them stopped, but as I will have the paints out for this GB I will be finishing them off in parallel. They are of course not eligible for this GB because they are either injection or over the 25% limit, but I will no doubt show them in passing from time to time for comparison, and I wondered if I could perhaps post the odd "group photo" of them with the ones I am now building in your excellent GB - possibly in your display only gallery as it would give a more complete background history? For example, my "Cruisers- Part I" build will include the A9, A10 and A13 used in Operation Compass, but the Matilda II and Light Mk VI were also involved.

Just a thought!😆

Pete

Hi Pete,

The idea of the display only gallery was for completed builds that people didn't want to enter competitively have somewhere to go and be quietly admired. This will also reduce the congestion in the competition arena  which makes running a poll difficult in popular GBs.

So I hadn't thought in terms of using it as anything other than that, and I note that @trickyrich is putting builds from outside this GB (if you follow) in this thread. I wonder what people think of that as an idea?

Personally, I'm loving your 'crash' course in English tank design

• Haha 1

Earlier I mentioned Micromodel's which were a staple of my father's modelling back in the 1950's. I have now dug out three of the four I thought I still had, the 4th seems to have gone AWOL in my move of house last year. I am hoping it comes to light when I finally get to unbox my remaining modelling suppliers once my cart lodge is finished.

DSC04886

The Globe theatre is the oldest and the best preserved, that is because my father built a box to keep it in.

DSC04887

I recall that the only tool used to build these were those two sided shaving blades, with one side taped up. If he wanted a narrower blade he would break a piece off with pliers.

The temptation was too great - there is a publisher who has the rights to these models and still produces then. As one fits the selection criteria for by chosen area I have just placed an order. That will be a dual build I am going to both build the Micromodel as is but also scan it and use the form for a template for a model in 1/76th scale.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Paul821 said:

I recall that the only tool used to build these were those two sided shaving blades

On nostalgia modelling! I've still got some in the bottom of the tool 'tidy'

PXL-20210321-094538476.jpg 

• Like 2

Amongst us 'old cards', there's been some talk of Metcalfe Models, they make very sturdy little models but as others have said they can look a bit too pristine. Nothing a water colour wash can't take the edge off from though.

PXL-20210321-101318697.jpg 

Also, the harsh white edges can be painted out. This is the N gauge Goods shed off to 'Mildenhall' soon. I"ve not added the rainwater goods, which are the other weakness in card models because I don't know if I'll keep it once I've built the real good shed from there....

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/mildenhall/index3.shtml 

But given how long 'temporary structures' last in the real word, it's probably got a long and happy future ahead😜

• Like 1

Although I have at least 4 four more legitimate architectural models lined up for this GB, I would like to tackle this..

DSC04894

it's a Amera 1/72 - 1/76 vac formed Nissen Hut, which I acquired many years ago. These are the makers of the  Vac-Forms that appear in a number of Airfix sets.

Question for our "leader over the boarder" @Mjwomack is this allowed?

Is it a kit as it only has one part?

It have been (very badly) painted, so could be said to fall foul of the 25% rule.

My proposal is to remove the paint, and then replace the dormers and all the windows and doors, then mount it on a small base. on of the replacement items will be injected.

So will it be let in?

'Allow it', but that might be showing my unhealthy habit of watching Attack the Block!

But having slipped in that quote, I'll expand on my reasoning. And it's more sophisticated than trying to get the vac-form build count up, however it does need all the help it can get.

On the philosophical question about how many parts are needed to constitute a model- though @nimrod54 and I have both been driving the parts count down, I'm sure there was a blitzbuild where somebody entered a model with one part- maybe a modern warship. So it's been done before, and now somebody needs a model with no parts to set the record.

Relieved to hear that you're going to strip the paint off, and once you've replaced the windows etc. I have no qualms about letting it in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found it!

And as with your thinking, it soon got 'bulked out' to push up the parts count. But be warned that Angus didn't complete on time- no pressure to get this into the gallery in the next few months😆

59 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

...be warned that Angus didn't complete on time- no pressure to get this into the gallery in the next few months😆

YOU WOULD NOT LET IT LIE.

Angus Tura's Big Night Out.

5 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

YOU WOULD NOT LET IT LIE.

Angus Tura's Big Night Out.

I had to scroll right through the build thread to find your confession 😜. Personally I wouldn't even risk a kit of one part in a blitz build with my completion rates 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1