Anything but injection GB Chat

In both cases, why did anyone ever think a hybrid millimetres to the foot scale was a good idea? Same in o gauge. We should all go back to gauge 1 at 1/32, at least it's coherent. As I say, there's a whole gazateer of scales waiting to be written

Your mention of "O" gauge reminded me of the Model Railway Club at my old school, which had a substantial "O" gauge layout. The track was hand built as was I think most of the rolling stock and I think a lot of the stuff must have been inherited from former members or donated as it was quite a mixed bag. The points were controlled by a War Surplus switch block which appeared to have been intended for setting off some sort of explosives - individually or in salvo! As to the Locos, we had a very nice BR Flying Scotsman, possibly Bassett-Lowke, a couple of LMS Compounds, one in red and one in black, an old L&YR tank of some sort, and a GCR Director in bits - we never did manage to get it back together but the motorised chassis was working by the time the ruddy great transformer we used blew up. As we had no money to replace it and the School was going to take over the room as a classroom we disbanded in 1967 and everything went into tea chests at the back of one of the storerooms, alongside wartime wooden Lewis gun replicas from the cadet force. I often wonder what happened to them as they would probably be worth a bob or two by now. For all I know they may still be there as nobody ever went into the store! I can still remember the Scotsman majestically running round the track pulling a rake of pullman coaches - it looked far better than my own "OO" trains, which were boring at "scale" speed.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

I would normally pass on this one but my dad recently passed and I now have one of these but I'm not sure how to go about building a vac form kit. He would love to have seen it built.

2021-03-13_04-05-49

Dave

Sorry to hear about your dad, but what a fitting tribute to build this in his honour. Sure you'll do him proud and every kind of support from the BM massive for this build

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

It might be worth looking out John Adams of Aeroclub's guide to vac form modelling which was posted in a recent build, and is also in the "Hints and Tips" on the Home page of the forum. It is usually not too difficult providing you take your time and test fit frequently.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

resized_598daa99-5960-4367-9e26-36371e78Well it’s only a week to go till the official start of the GB and even at that I don’t think I could break the 25% rule on the Oertz even if I try :) so plastic has been cut ( I wasn’t kidding when I said I had 20 photocopies of the plans btw :) )

I did do a Gamecock a few years ago, might be useful as a reference. It’s now sitting in a box awaiting repairs following my IKEA furniture disaster of last year.

resized_f1190b05-0a21-4bc0-9fda-df6695d2

Found the WIP

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Whoop whoop this GB has migrated to current; it's getting real

Feel to place markers, threads with background on design etc; I'm looking at you @bootneck and @Marklo

In fact everybody do something before @JOCKNEY swamps the whole thing with his massed cavalry charge of entries 🤣

Entries are the easy bit, it's blooming finishing them that's the problem !

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

hope you manage to recover the situation after all the time you invested in building them.

Yes everything bar the Gamecock has been repaired. It’s still sitting in a box until I can build up the enthusiasm to repair it :) 

• Sad 1

I’ve just been through and assessed the kits I’d like to throw into the ring. They fall, broadly, into two categories.

First, I have five 1/76th scale kits that fit into my 1940 obsession. Second, I have four 1/76th scale kits that are intended for a diorama that has been so long in the planning I nearly forgot I had the kits in stock! The outlier is the Dennis F8 fire engine, which is a different scale.

Now, it makes sense to me that I start two threads for each of the Braille scale collections, a "1940" thread and a "TSR2" thread. I’ll explain the latter when I get to it. A basic split like that makes it tidier for me, and easier for everyone to find stuff if they want to follow it. I will post separate gallery entries should I manage to complete any of them, obviously. The Dennis can have its own thread. 

Is that acceptable, or would it be preferred to have individual threads for each build? My thinking really is that I am likely to tandem build most of the models, so one thread per theme would make more sense.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I am hoping to contribute more posts for this GB than some of my previous attempts:

"when is the start date?"

"hello everyone, I am going to build a....."

"what? there's only 24 hours left before the deadline? :frantic:"

Mike

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

I’ve just been through and assessed the kits I’d like to throw into the ring. They fall, broadly, into two categories.

First, I have five 1/76th scale kits that fit into my 1940 obsession. Second, I have four 1/76th scale kits that are intended for a diorama that has been so long in the planning I nearly forgot I had the kits in stock! The outlier is the Dennis F8 fire engine, which is a different scale.

Now, it makes sense to me that I start two threads for each of the Braille scale collections, a "1940" thread and a "TSR2" thread. I’ll explain the latter when I get to it. A basic split like that makes it tidier for me, and easier for everyone to find stuff if they want to follow it. I will post separate gallery entries should I manage to complete any of them, obviously. The Dennis can have its own thread. 

Is that acceptable, or would it be preferred to have individual threads for each build? My thinking really is that I am likely to tandem build most of the models, so one thread per theme would make more sense.

Thoughts?

I think that's a very good approach- sounds like what @PeterB is doing.

Oviously you hold the trump card and I'll agree to anything if Dennis makes an appearance!

57 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I am hoping to contribute more posts for this GB than some of my previous attempts:

"when is the start date?"

"hello everyone, I am going to build a....."

"what? there's only 24 hours left before the deadline? :frantic:"

Mike

That would be a successful one by my standards, and here I am hosting one- one things for sure, I'll be posting a lot more than in many GBs, some might even be in a thread about my own builds, not promising anything though

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I think that's a very good approach

Righty-ho. I’ll get some box and parts shots organised, gather my thoughts and add some threads in the next few days.

:like:

• Thanks 1

Still debating as I have a bunch of review kits I need to get done and tending my 3 year old granddaughter on the weekends has really cut into my building time.

I have a bunch of resin kits, sci-fi, figures, Brown Water Navy and a couple aircraft.  Figure I would start with and easier kit first to make sure I can get parts together instead of fingers.

I also have a few metal figures that might make an appearance.

More than likely I won't even get a topic started let alone a build but we shall see.

Phil

This is beginning to look like an inspired choice of subject for a GB - all sorts of interesting things threatening to turn up!!! If anybody fancies trying their hand at a Rareplanes  vac form Gotha GIV Bomber in 1/72 with loads of Aeroclub white metal, I have one going spare for the price of the postage - I now have the Roden injection one to build instead which might be very slightly easier!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Ooh I see so many interesting things popping up! It will be a while before I have time to make a start myself (house move!) but I will be following for sure.

• Like 1

Good day all,

As you can see from the number of my postings I only recently started to embrace Britmodeller and at that have only started to get my head around what these group builds are.

If I am not too late to the table I would like to participate in this "anything but injection GB".

I started posting some of my work in progress on a small scratchbuilt 1/48 Ponnier D.III Gordon Bennett racer but I have put that aside for the moment due to getting lost in analysis paralysis. In any case it would not qualify for this group build as it is more than half complete.

Of late I have been fussing over some drawings and pictures of the Gloster E.1/44 and was thinking it might make for a simple scratchbuild and thought it might be a good fit for this group build. I am thinking 1/72 scale so as to keep it small and encourage me not to get to carried with detail so as to keep at bay that dreaded analysis paralysis which too easy raises it's head when I fuss over larger scale builds. Participating in group build might also help me keep my perspective and just get on with it.

cheers, Graham

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Graham.

If my experience is anything to go by, once you get a taste for these Group Builds your modelling expands in all kinds of different directions.

I've never built so many different models, in such a short time, as I have via the GB's.

Tony.

• Like 2

Graham, I don't want to put you off scratchbuilding the E1/44 but Whirlybirds do vacforms of both versions which would save a lot of work. Their web-presence isn't too good and there have been some recent health issues but I've never had any problems dealing with them. I built the earlier Maintrack kits of both versions a few years ago, fairly basic but then so were the originals! - scroll down past the Meteors.....

If you really want to go down the scratchbuild route with the E1/44 I can send you some decent drawings.

Steve