Anything but injection GB Chat

Any links

1 minute ago, Mjwomack said:

However, the good news is that there are plenty of engineering drawings with all the dimensions on.....

any links?

Mike

4 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Any links

any links?

Mike

Difficult. Aside from full works drawings, the only basically dimensioned drawings regularly published are weight diagrams. They give a side profile of the loco, key data such as weight on each axle, bunker and boiler capacities, wheel diameters and the measure between axle centres. I’ve got a fair collection of books with drawings like that covering LMS/LNWR, GWR and SR. Mike, if you want to drop me a PM I will happily dig out some examples for you. 

4 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I've got various Great Eastern loco drawings which I can send a photo of; come and join us as the children of Boudecia

Here's a selection from another railway out west

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/loco_draw.htm

OOoohh! that's good, they have measurements all over them!  Thanks.

Just now, Heather Kay said:

Difficult. Aside from full works drawings, the only basically dimensioned drawings regularly published are weight diagrams. They give a side profile of the loco, key data such as weight on each axle, bunker and boiler capacities, wheel diameters and the measure between axle centres. I’ve got a fair collection of books with drawings like that covering LMS/LNWR, GWR and SR. Mike, if you want to drop me a PM I will happily dig out some examples for you. 

No worries Heather,  MJ has just sent a link of drawings for God's Wonderful Railway and, living in Somerset, that's just right for me.

Thanks both.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, if you won't come to the East, how about the 72xx, that is an example of the wheelbase being different for the pairs of axles. A more serious problem could be that they lack rear and plan views; can you extrapolate those from photos etc?

No pressure, but I suspect that a lot of us are very excited to see what you come up with, aren't we @Enzo Matrix😍. Get ready for your cottage industry, I assume once you've cracked it you can offer any scale from z through to gauge 1 and beyond?

Back issues of Railway Modeller are always a good source.  the wheelbase is usually dimensioned and then the other dimensions can be inferred from that.  About twenty years ago I did a lot of CGI art of locos that way.

• Like 1

If the plan and profile, including a front view, are on the same page; or both have a single corresponding measurement then I could size the plan accordingly.  I have difficulty with plans that do not have a scale but the text says "scaled at 1/76" for example.  That was only accurate before it was scanned an posted on the sites.  A way to tell if they are inaccurate is if you can see change of paper colour, or debris etc. around the edges. That shows the scanning plate was larger than the plan.

Question for the GB mods:  As the GB will involve the actual building, painting and, possibly decalling of a kit;  can I start the CAD work now, or would that be deemed as part of the build?

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Question for the GB mods:  As the GB will involve the actual building, painting and, possibly decalling of a kit;  can I start the CAD work now, or would that be deemed as part of the build?

No one expects Airfix to complete design and development of a kit during the period of a GB.  Same rules will apply to you - at least until such time as we have a 3D printing GB.  :)    However, it would be nice to have your build thread show some details of the design and production of the parts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

However, it would be nice to have your build thread show some details of the design and production of the parts.

Thanks, I could do that and post them at the start of the GB.

cheers,
Mik

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

No one expects Airfix to complete design and development of a kit during the period of a GB.  Same rules will apply to you - at least until such time as we have a 3D printing GB.  :)    However, it would be nice to have your build thread show some details of the design and production of the parts.

You mean Airfix don't do that? Well, that's rained on my parade

Also, when will the first exclusive 3D printing GB be?!!!

Edited by Mjwomack
Afterthought added
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bootneck said:

If the plan and profile, including a front view, are on the same page; or both have a single corresponding measurement then I could size the plan accordingly.  I have difficulty with plans that do not have a scale but the text says "scaled at 1/76" for example.  That was only accurate before it was scanned an posted on the sites.  A way to tell if they are inaccurate is if you can see change of paper colour, or debris etc. around the edges. That shows the scanning plate was larger than the plan.

cheers,

Mike

As Enzo says, yes that's quite OK- anyone else on the 3D route, feel free to do the same.

Is this a cunning plan to get Enzo to move this to current GBs earlier than normal😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well I was planning to do a Welsh Models Valiant, might still do that one, but I'm thinking about a 1:144 Avro 707

A 707 that isn't a Boeing, that'll mix things up 🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, airfixpeter said:

I have a nice white metal Bristol lodekka bus just waiting to be built so I am going to join in that's if you can put up with me 

With a user name of airfix Peter I was waiting to see what was coming. 

Welcome, the real question is will people be able to put up with me 🤷🙄. Lockdown is definitely nurturing my reclusive side

3 hours ago, Pin said:

@Enzo Matrix Less than three weeks before the date, is it time to think about a dedicated GB sub-forum? 

I’d say yes. I can start placeholder threads for the Oertz and the Alcock.
Which will also probably give me the impetus to finish the PB31 the last of my Interceptor GB submissions ( really just the rigging, decals and engines left to do) finish my Swordfish and get my Skyhawk built ( wow)

I’m looking forward to this one. 

21 hours ago, bootneck said:

Any links

any links?

Mike

About 40 years ago I came across a series of books of "Locomotives to Scale" published by D Bradford Barton. They have reasonable plans in of a number of locos and the Series included all 4 Pre Nationalisation Groups and also BR Standards. Also, the various O S Nock books in the "Great Loco's" series do have quite a few plans, as does a book I have on LNWR locos. As stated previously, wheel bases can be quite complicated. Best of luck with your 3D printing.

@Mjwomack I have a Wills kit of a J38/9 in OO but as you say the chassis is always a problem. When I built it I was using the Hornby "Zero-One" computer system and only certain types of motor could cope with the output, so whenever possible I doctored a suitable Hornby chassis or tender drive to fit - the one I have on the J39 is I suspect from a Jinty but re-wheeled and it was fitted with an upgaded X03 or X04 motor. When he was little my son used to love watching my model railway but was upset by the noise the old X03/4 driven locos made and terrified of the similarly powered turntable which was ruddy noisy. We found out later he had Asperger's syndrome, but I resolved the problem when I bought a batch of motors advertised in Railway Modeller which had more poles (5 or 6 I think) and ran nearly as quietly as a Ringfield. Never having run N Gauge I have no idea what chassis are available, so the best of luck.

Pete

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterB said:

About 40 years ago I came across a series of books of "Locomotives to Scale" published by D Bradford Barton. They have reasonable plans in of a number of locos and the Series included all 4 Pre Nationalisation Groups and also BR Standards. Also, the various O S Nock books in the "Great Loco's" series do have quite a few plans, as does a book I have on LNWR locos. As stated previously, wheel bases can be quite complicated. Best of luck with your 3D printing.

@Mjwomack I have a Wills kit of a J38/9 in OO but as you say the chassis is always a problem. When I built it I was using the Hornby "Zero-One" computer system and only certain types of motor could cope with the output, so whenever possible I doctored a suitable Hornby chassis or tender drive to fit - the one I have on the J39 is I suspect from a Jinty but re-wheeled and it was fitted with an upgaded X03 or X04 motor. When he was little my son used to love watching my model railway but was upset by the noise the old X03/4 driven locos made and terrified of the similarly powered turntable which was ruddy noisy. We found out later he had Asperger's syndrome, but I resolved the problem when I bought a batch of motors advertised in Railway Modeller which had more poles (5 or 6 I think) and ran nearly as quietly as a Ringfield. Never having run N Gauge I have no idea what chassis are available, so the best of luck.

Pete

So much nostalgia in one post! Bradford Barton, Wills and x04 motors. Please don't say all that was 40 years ago; though I've a ghastly feeling that you're right.

Fortunately I've got the chassis to go with the kit. I've come a cropper before by buying a Graham Farish (China) rather than GraFar (Poole) donor loco to go with a kit. It all adds to the thrill of the chase and I've generally managed to recycle them on a certain auction site!

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I’d say yes. I can start placeholder threads for the Oertz and the Alcock.
Which will also probably give me the impetus to finish the PB31 the last of my Interceptor GB submissions ( really just the rigging, decals and engines left to do) finish my Swordfish and get my Skyhawk built ( wow)

I’m looking forward to this one. 

I'm sure Enzo is looking forward to this as much as the rest of us given how many locomotive kits he's piled up ready for it; but we should give him a chance to have a life.

It's worth keeping in mind the post he put up for @Bullbasket about preparatory work on scratchbuilds and being ready to put into a post when the GB forum opens up.  I'll try to track it down and give it a 'bump'

20 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Attention Sctachbuilders and 3D printer types in particular!

Please see the post from the Lord High Enzo of GroupBuild about preparatory work not counting inside the 25% complete rule. Almost makes me want to scatcbuild something to get started on plans etc. Oh hold on, I rashly entered the Africa GB; focus Michael, focus

Just checked and published in 1981! My wife bought me a Hornby Black 5 set just before our daughter was born in 1981, and the extension to the house and the layout were not long afterwards. It lasted until about 2000 when the room was "appropriated" by the family and now all I have left is about 60 locos, a lot of rolling stock and a pile of Peco track, together with various buildings, signals etc.

Pete

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

It's worth keeping in mind the post he put up for @Bullbasket about preparatory work on scratchbuilds and being ready to put into a post when the GB forum opens up.

Yes I’m busily photocopying plans and cutting out little pieces of paper :) and trying hard not to actually build anything   😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1