Anything but injection GB Chat

6 hours ago, Pin said:

@Enzo Matrix Less than three weeks before the date, is it time to think about a dedicated GB sub-forum? 

The forum goes up the weekend before the GB starts.  Don't worry, I won't forget as The Mighty Spreadsheet reminds me.

• Thanks 2

I find the best things are patience a good applicator and have some bicarbonate of soda ( baking powder ?) handy.

I squeeze a few drops of ca on to a foil dish and apply it with a cocktail stick ( toothpick) if you want a really fancy applicator then get a large darning needle and cut off the top portion of the eye then mount it in a pin Chuck. 

The baking powder acts as an adhesive promoter so if you’ve just made a gluey mess or on the other hand you’ve just positioned a part perfectly but it hasn’t set than this will solidify the ca instantly.

And remember seeing as how cyanoacrylate adhesive was actually developed for sticking people together it inevitable that at some stage you’ll get stuck to the bus or yourself. Just stay calm, try to sweat a bit as that’ll help release the adhesive and carefully pull yourself away. :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marklo said:

And remember seeing as how cyanoacrylate adhesive was actually developed for sticking people together it inevitable that at some stage you’ll get stuck to the bus or yourself. Just stay calm, try to sweat a bit as that’ll help release the adhesive and carefully pull yourself away. :) 

One is not a real modeller until one has glued oneself to a model.  :lol: 

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Marklo said:

if you want a really fancy applicator then get a large dancing needle and cut off the top portion of the eye then mount it in a pin Chuck. 

This is what I use to apply CA and I've also used to for Mr. Surfacer 1000.

27870158927_5892864c01_b.jpg

27870158947_fd0e5bbe2d_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

One is not a real modeller until one has glued oneself to a model.  :lol: 

I know we've said this GB is all about using other material than IM plastic, but I'm starting to think we might have to say no human skin. There again sometimes it's necessary to suffer for one's art

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Marklo said:

I find the best things are patience a good applicator and have some bicarbonate of soda ( baking powder ?) handy.

I squeeze a few drops of ca on to a foil dish and apply it with a cocktail stick ( toothpick) if you want a really fancy applicator then get a large dancing needle and cut off the top portion of the eye then mount it in a pin Chuck. 

The baking powder acts as an adhesive promoter so if you’ve just made a gluey mess or on the other hand you’ve just positioned a part perfectly but it hasn’t set than this will solidify the ca instantly.

Alas, I knew you meant darning needle, but in the land of auto-correct they are called dancing needles, and I liked that image more!!

And showing a vague awareness of safe working; if you are stuck together rubbing the stuck fingers rather than pulling them apart is a way to loosen the 'bite'. You might wonder how I know this, there again you can probably work it out.

17 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

Well here's my poor victim but to tell you the truth I am almost afraid to build it as its way outside my comfort zone as I will be using super glue I foresee lots of parts being stuck to lots of fingers. 

spacer.png

Oh my, there's another firm I'd forgotten all about from the Saturday job days in a model shop (that was in the day when every town had a model shop). This GB is going to be amazing for the diversity and how alongside all the cutting edge 3D printing and prototype resin kits there's going to be so much old school white metal going on.

If you don't fancy CA glue, then there's always soldering iron and a different way to hurt yourself. Personally I never ventured beyond Araldite because it was more forgiving and could double up as filler.

Never mind all the classic, Airfix, Revell etc. GBs I'm starting to wonder if they'd be interest in a classic (aren't they all) white metal GB?

• Like 1

OMG is this one really about to start soon!!!!

I've been trying to ignore it but it keeps popping up on the Sacred Spreadsheet (or Holy Spreadsheet depending on the time of the year)!!!!!

I'll be away with work for the start (no hoping for the duration......) so my words of wisdom/sarcasm for some will be missing, but I promise I'll make it up............though probably not!

Gosh this will be build #4 for the yer and I still haven't finished the first!

But the SPV will be done, thankfully it's a simple model, like your's truly!  :D

....... and I promise to annoy plenty of other builds.........

...... speaking of which...

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The forum goes up the weekend before the GB starts.  Don't worry, I won't forget as The Mighty Spreadsheet reminds me.

there are GB's which need to be moved to the Bumfight!  Gosh I love annoying you!!! :tease:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Not annoying me.  :bleh:     Which ones?  Have they PMed me?

No I haven't but seeing you asked I will! PM you not annoy..... though can multi-task quite well! :tease:

Can I get an adjudication on this, please, to see if it qualifies under the 25% rule?

51005263208_465d6713c8_b.jpg

It is a 1/43rd scale resin, whitemetal, brass casting and brass PE kit of a Dennis F8 fire engine. It really needs to be finished, but I got so far as assembling the chassis and axles, getting some rubbish paint on the bodywork and stalled.

If it’s acceptable for the GB, I’ll strip the body and set to and build. It’s been on the Shelf of Doom for too long.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Can I get an adjudication on this, please, to see if it qualifies under the 25% rule?

If it’s acceptable for the GB, I’ll strip the body and set to and build. It’s been on the Shelf of Doom for too long.

I am a big opponent of "25%" rule because it is 

- hard to define.  It is used to say that "close fuselage" is 25%, it is never my case

- fends people off without adding value

Being a co-host I would suggest abolishing this rule altogether, especially in this unorthodox GB. Let's be driven by the spirit, not by the word. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pin said:

I am a big opponent of "25%" rule because it is 

- hard to define.  It is used to say that "close fuselage" is 25%, it is never my case

- fends people off without adding value

Being a co-host I would suggest abolishing this rule altogether, especially in this unorthodox GB. Let's be driven by the spirit, not by the word. 

I like your style, 'spirit not law'! Clearly a long way to go yet- I mean the fuselage is obviously not joined up yet😍

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

It is a 1/43rd scale resin, whitemetal, brass casting and brass PE kit of a Dennis F8 fire engine. It really needs to be finished, but I got so far as assembling the chassis and axles, getting some rubbish paint on the bodywork and stalled.

We must save it from the shelf of doom!

And as 1:43 = o gauge = 7mm we're in for a Heather modelling mistressclass which will leave us in complete awe on your home turf! The more so if this is going to be in addition to the other ones you'd mentioned earlier

Just don't close the fuselage up for a while😀

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pin said:

I am a big opponent of "25%" rule

The 25% rule is not a hard and fast rule for every GB.  GB hosts are free to define their own rules for their GB.

Groupbuilds are time limited and they encourage people to keep up their interest in a build from start to finish.  The 25% rule It was orginally put in place to prevent people completing a model that was half built or more and thereby side-stepping the spriit of the GB.  That sort of thing should go into a KUTA build.

Your comment about "spirit, not the word" sums up the whole ethos of groupbuilds.

However, I would recommend that you state that any started kit be referred to the hosts for a decision. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 17:46, Mjwomack said:

..........how about the 72xx

Perhaps not the 72xx but I thought I would do some more dabbling with this CAD milarky and so I tried the 81xx. 

spacer.png

I'm not sure whether I would actually go with this one for the GB; however, it does give me the opportunity to try different shapes in CAD.

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That sort of thing should go into a KUTA build.

I suppose the Dennis really fits in that category. I would essentially be using this GB as an excuse to finish the model.

I'll think on. There’s no reason I can’t start a KUTA thread for it, and still build the other stuff I'd like to do for this GB.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bootneck said:

however, it does give me the opportunity to try different shapes in CAD.

Impressive stuff. My only comment is bear in mind the cab front and back are curved upwards. But you knew that anyway. :whistle:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

you mean that the roof is rounded.

Yep, sorry. My brain wasn’t quite in gear when I typed my post. I have since had coffee, and things are a little more organised in my head space. :frantic:

• Haha 2

On 05/03/2021 at 13:30, Heather Kay said:

My personal opinion; yes, its under 25%

10 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I suppose the Dennis really fits in that category. I would essentially be using this GB as an excuse to finish the model.

I'll think on. There’s no reason I can’t start a KUTA thread for it, and still build the other stuff I'd like to do for this GB.

Heather,

I'm with @Pin about spirit not law, so ultimately if you're spirit says no that it the end of the matter.

But I'd like to venture that the prospect of a professional model maker working in their preferred scale using resin, brass and white metal in this GB would be a sight to behold for those of us with two left hands.

• Like 4