Anything but injection GB Chat

Ok I think I’m going to start this one with a scratch built Alcock scout AKA the Sopwith mouse. But I have a Skyhawk to build first, oh and a PB31 to finish…

Ah yes I am also have mentioned an Oertz W6 AKA the flying Schooner (another Quadruplane, well technically a double biplane) which I’ll also do if I can figure out how to fabricate the hull. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Tell us more...  :bounce:

What Enzo wants wants, Enzo gets; well at least in the GB area because it is his fifedom😀

PXL-20210301-145914545.jpg 

A very ancient  n gauge J39 to go on an equally ancient GraFar (Poole) pannier tank chassis. Both have been replaced with superior rtr models, but I get a lot more satisfaction from building my own even if it doesn't come close to the standard of a modern loco. And anyhow, I'm a skinflint!!

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

2 hours ago, arnobiz said:

I'd be happy to join with BAM models' soon-to-be-released 1/350 Suffren-class submarine if I may :) It will be a full resin kit.

Cheers,

Arnaud

Most excellent. I'm hazarding a guess that you're confident that it'll will be released in time because you've had a word with the managing director of BAM😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Most excellent. I'm hazarding a guess that you're confident that it'll will be released in time because you've had a word with the managing director of BAM😜

That's a wild but incredibly accurate guess 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Ok I think I’m going to start this one with a scratch built Alcock scout AKA the Sopwith mouse. But I have a Skyhawk to build first, oh and a PB31 to finish…

Ah yes I am also have mentioned an Oertz W6 AKA the flying Schooner (another Quadruplane, well technically a double biplane) which I’ll also do if I can figure out how to fabricate the hull. 

I so hope the Oertz gets a look in. It is such a wierd contraption that personally I'd vote for a single type GB for it, even though I Neve enter them and have no idea how to build such a strange looking bestie

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

That's a wild but incredibly accurate guess 🤣

Now, being serious. Amazing to think that as well as all the 3D printing models making a first appearance en masse in a GB, there's going to be a world exclusive of a new resin kit. Very humbling for a GB that I proposed because I had a download and print card model I wanted to make

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

PXL-20210301-145914545.jpg 

A very ancient  n gauge J39 to go on an equally ancient GraFar (Poole) pannier tank chassis. Both have been replaced with superior rtr models, but I get a lot more satisfaction from building my own even if it doesn't come close to the standard of a modern loco. And anyhow, I'm a skinflint!!

Somebody produced N gauge steam locomotive kits??   I have been searching for that type of stuff for years, even asking in model railway shops, but all I could find were very expensive working locos.  Although that kit is long out of production, at least I now know of one producer to do a search on.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Somebody produced N gauge steam locomotive kits??   I have been searching for that type of stuff for years, even asking in model railway shops, but all I could find were very expensive working locos.  Although that kit is long out of production, at least I now know of one producer to do a search on.

cheers,
Mike

This one is off that notorious internet auction site! Try searching on white metal n kits. Sometimes they turn up at Lacey Scott & Knight in Bury St Edmunds who have a quarterly model and toy collectors auction, but admittedly oo is far more common. I think that as with oo kit building is dying out so it is often a case of keeping your eyes open and getting lucky

However, there are some current producers;

Langley models

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/category&path=208_219 

scroll down a bit- I promise you they're there!

P&D Marsh

https://www.pdmarshmodels.com/collections/n-loco-coach-wagon

N Brass Locomotives

https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/nloco.html

as the name suggests, they're brass. I'm neither good or brave enough but handy for parts.

Hope this gets you on the scent of something of use, certainly not a definitive list of that I'm sure; rather the ones that I've stumbled across

Michael

16 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Now, being serious. Amazing to think that as well as all the 3D printing models making a first appearance en masse in a GB, there's going to be a world exclusive of a new resin kit. Very humbling for a GB that I proposed because I had a download and print card model I wanted to make

The prototype is being finalized for review by the submarine's crew to make sure it's as good as possible before release ;)

50995167998_3085326611_z.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Both have been replaced with superior rtr models, but I get a lot more satisfaction from building my own even if it doesn't come close to the standard of a modern loco.

I'm the same with GEM kits in 00 Gauge.  As the supplier admits, the moulds have seen better days and are "problematic to cast".  The ones I have are short shot in a number of areas.  But they are still fun to build and the etched chassis is fully up to modern standards.

While your kit has been replacd by a modern RTR model, few of the GEM kits have.  Where else are you going to get an LNWR Precursor, Cauliflower or Watford tank? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

cheers,
Mike

There are kits available but many are made by small scale producers who still only advertise by mail order.

I have ordered from Langley online without any problems.

The big issue for us model builders is that the kits typically don't include any wheels, being designed, like that one above, to sit on a specific motorised chassis and with many older kits, the chassis they need can be very hard to find.

• Like 2

Thanks all, there is some interesting information there; especially as I didn't know any existed at all.  The nearest that I have managed, which is also affordable to me, is the Del Prado range, but I have only found one British locomotive so far in this Standard class 4MT.  It is a little beauty.

spacer.png

I have been dabbling in 3D printing recently but only vehicles so far.  I suppose I could make an attempt at making my own British locomotives if I can find some plans.

Mike

• Like 1

I've had to have a change of subject for this GB, mainly as I got too impatient with the deck tractor that I had planned to build........

and went ahead and built it! 

spacer.png

As such,  I shall have a go at making an AEC Matador 6x6 aircraft fuel bowser; like this wartime hose type or maybe a postwar boom type.

spacer.png

IWM licence free image

It is difficult to imagine that when this GB was first suggested three years ago, 10th March 2018, I would ever plan to draw and print a 3D model.  Here I am doing just that!  :banghead:

It should still be a kit though, as I plan to have separate chassis, cab, tank and wheels; possibly even hoses etc.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I've had to have a change of subject for this GB, mainly as I got too impatient with the deck tractor that I had planned to build........

Always a hazard!  :lol: 

17 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Always a hazard!  :lol: 

There again, I've signed up for GBs even gone and added to the stash ready for it then completely forgotten about the GB and still have the kit in the stash. This has happened twice (that I can remember); if only there was some way to keep track of GBs like a spreadsheet or maybe pen and paper🤪

47 minutes ago, bootneck said:

spacer.png

You little beauty! Got to say, I've no idea how any of this is done but n gauge locomotives must be well within your 3D ability; you might be just the person to relaunch the kit market!!

This question is possibly for @Heather Kay.  If I were to scratchbuild/CAD a locomotive; such as a Prairie Tank or a Pannier Tank (the only ones I can think of at the moment) how would I define the reference measurement?  Do they have a wheelbase size between wheels, as vehicles do?

cheers,
Mike

12 minutes ago, bootneck said:

This question is possibly for @Heather Kay,  If I were to scratchbuild/CAD a locomotive; such as a Prairie Tank or a Pannier Tank (the only ones I can think of at the moment) how would I define the reference measurement?  Do they have a wheelbase size between wheels, as vehicles do?

cheers,
Mike

What a blummen good question. Thank you for that, because it’s got me actually thinking about it. 

The quick and honest answer is "I don’t really know". My immediate thought is most locos are defined by their tractive effort, weight per axle and driving wheel diameter. Wheelbases don’t vary that much.

Over the past couple of years, I’ve built two GWR small prairies. The first was as the locos were built in about 1910, the second as a more refined version as they ran in the 1930s. The earlier loco had 4ft 1in diameter drivers, where the later loco had the same wheelbase but larger diameter wheels. Other differences included the boiler and firebox, coal bunker and so on, so they became a different class of loco with a different number sequence. They’re still small prairies, as opposed to the large prairies which had much larger driving wheels.

So, you see, I’m not sure I can actually answer your question!

Thanks Heather.  I don't have anything to go on and the few plans that I have seen did not have any scaling.  I shall pop over to RMweb and see if I can get any advice there.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

The other problem is they might have a couple of wheelbases; an 0-4-0 is easy because there is a pair of axles to set the wheelbase between, but the wheelbase on an n-6-n is not necessarily the same between the front to middle axle and the middle to rear axle.

However, the good news is that there are plenty of engineering drawings with all the dimensions on, I guess they would help

• Like 1