Anything but injection GB Chat

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I may or may not have acquired one of these! :D

Is that what your legal team advise you say as a response😬

Mind, looking at the first link, it's probably for the best if you may not have acquired it- at least for this GB🤣

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2021 at 10:36 PM, trickyrich said:

Now THIS looks interesting!!!

I'm most likely to be heaving a go at this 1:48 scale 3D printed kit... Babylon 5 Starfury!

DSC_4550.JPG

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Now THIS looks interesting!!!

I'm most likely to be heaving a go at this 1:48 scale 3D printed kit... Babylon 5 Starfury!

DSC_4550.JPG

This is it! Now the sci-fi stuff is creeping out, I knew it would

19 hours ago, Marklo said:

I think I’ve been dared Into scratching an Oertz W6 for this :) 

resized_2055c11e-bfe4-40e5-ac06-9d397891if you can think of anything weirder, do tell :) 

Resistance is futile, just accept that you'll be building it (you know you want to)- good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:36 PM, trickyrich said:

:angry:  I hate computers!!!!!

lets have another go........

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/general-products-spv--1287444

'soft vinyl' sounds

1. Impossible to work with

2. Possibly an old bicycle inner tube

3. The Flexi-discs you used to get on the front of magazines to play on the gramophone apparatus.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Resistance is futile, just accept that you'll be building it (you know you want to)- good luck!

Well yes. Atm my biggest dilemma is which scale in 1/48 it works out at ~ 400 mm x 300mm big for me, 1/72 is a more maneagable 280mm x 200mm hmm I’m veering towards 1/48 because most of my WWI and interwar stuff is in that scale but it still feels a bit big, hmm.

• Like 2

I've well and truly made up my mind what to build - it's going to be the Welsh Models 747SP as the NASA/DLR SOFIA telescope-carrying aircraft. I've been playing around with the CAD software drawing up the telescope and think I've got it about right, so I'll be 3D-printing that and building it with the door open. Only question now is whether it'll be on its undercarriage or in flight - in flight would be more authentic with the door open, as it wouldn't usually be open on the ground, but I'd need to build a stand which I've not done before. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, zebra said:

I've well and truly made up my mind what to build - it's going to be the Welsh Models 747SP as the NASA/DLR SOFIA telescope-carrying aircraft. I've been playing around with the CAD software drawing up the telescope and think I've got it about right, so I'll be 3D-printing that and building it with the door open. Only question now is whether it'll be on its undercarriage or in flight - in flight would be more authentic with the door open, as it wouldn't usually be open on the ground, but I'd need to build a stand which I've not done before. Decisions, decisions...

Oh this is EXCITING. From memory the Welsh Models is vac, resin and white metal then you're adding in 3D printing; can I suggest a carved beech wood display stand for in-flight to add in yet another material😉

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Oh this is EXCITING.

Yes, it is exciting!  :bounce:

So exciting in fact that I may be about to totally lose my mind and bite off more than I can chew.   Like that's never happened before.  :shrug: 

For the past couple of decades I have been building lots of aircraft models.  In the past five years or so I have thrown a few AFVs into the mix.  However, I still consider myself a railway modeller - even though I haven't built anything railway oriented in the past twenty years! :wall: 

This year, that must change.  2021 will be the year Enzo returns to railway modelling.

As I've already stated, I will be building an LNWR Prince of Wales class loco in this GB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Prince_of_Wales_Class

This is a Hornby RTR chassis (from a Holden B12) with a 3D printed body and tender.  It still needs a bogie assembly which will be etched brass from Comet Models.  Yes...   I'm going to have to do some soldering!  :D 

But now comes the bit where I lose my mind.  I'm seriously considering an SECR O1 class loco as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SER_O_class

This is a resin body and tender from Green Arrow.  Edit: It is intended to fit the Hornby Fowler 4F chassis, which I don't have.  I do however, have a nickel silver chassis for a 4F from Comet Models which has been in The Stash for far too long.  In fact it spent more than a decade in The Deep Stash.  I'm fairly certain I can adapt it to fit.  Again, I'm going to have to do some soldering.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/lcp6_1.jpg

Scrub that.  I've just checked.  It's for the Hornby 3F chassis.  I have a Bachmann 3F in the collection but I'm not tearing it to bits to get the chassis, so I'll have to visit Wizard for the relevant Comet chassis.  While I'm there I can pick up some wheels. buffers and couplings as well.  

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/lcp8.jpg

The problem with this model is not going to be the build.  It will be the livery.  Have ya seen all the lining on that Wainwright livery?  :yikes:    I'm going to give it my best shot with masking.   I've had some good results with Jammydog tapes so fingers crossed.   If it all turns to worms I can revert to the early Southern Railway Maunsell Olive livery, which is still very nice but far easier to line out.

The railway stuff won't stop there though.  I have plans for two Maunsell V Class "Schools" locos in the Unarmed GB.   These will be static display models, not runners, using the old Kitmaster kits which are even older than I am!

I was born and grew up in the North West, which explains my bias towards LMS and LNWR subjects.  But can someone please explain to me why I am fascinated with SR locomotives?  Hence the O1 and the Schools.  :shrug:  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am in the early stages of a 1/12 scale Hawker Fury biplane for indoor free flight, it's not going to be competitive here in pure scale terms with people doing nice resin and vac kits but I am happy to start a thread if anyone might be interested. It's mostly wood and tissue with some bits of carbon and mylar and so on. I won;t be up to 25% by 20 March, at least if I push something else ahead in the queue

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Oh this is EXCITING. From memory the Welsh Models is vac, resin and white metal then you're adding in 3D printing; can I suggest a carved beech wood display stand for in-flight to add in yet another material😉

If I'm making a display stand it'll definitely have a wooden base but I don't think there's any white metal in the kit (doubts about the strength of the resin undercarriage are another reason I'm thinking about displaying it in flight - particularly since I'd have to put a fair bit of extra weight in the nose to counter the weight of the telescope) so only 3 materials so far. But there will need to be more to the display stand than it's base, so that will probably be metal. Maybe some PE (although I'd prefer not to) and there are a couple of bits that might be replaced with brass rod. I might use aluminium foil for the telescope mirrors too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Yes, it is exciting!  :bounce:

So exciting in fact that I may be about to totally lose my mind and bite off more than I can chew.   Like that's never happened before.  :shrug: 

For the past couple of decades I have been building lots of aircraft models.  In the past five years or so I have thrown a few AFVs into the mix.  However, I still consider myself a railway modeller - even though I haven't built anything railway oriented in the past twenty years! :wall: 

This year, that must change.  2021 will be the year Enzo returns to railway modelling.

As I've already stated, I will be building an LNWR Prince of Wales class loco in this GB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Prince_of_Wales_Class

This is a Hornby RTR chassis (from a Holden B12) with a 3D printed body and tender.  It still needs a bogie assembly which will be etched brass from Comet Models.  Yes...   I'm going to have to do some soldering!  :D 

But now comes the bit where I lose my mind.  I'm seriously considering an SECR O1 class loco as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SER_O_class

This is a resin body and tender from Green Arrow.  Edit: It is intended to fit the Hornby Fowler 4F chassis, which I don't have.  I do however, have a nickel silver chassis for a 4F from Comet Models which has been in The Stash for far too long.  In fact it spent more than a decade in The Deep Stash.  I'm fairly certain I can adapt it to fit.  Again, I'm going to have to do some soldering.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/lcp6_1.jpg

Scrub that.  I've just checked.  It's for the Hornby 3F chassis.  I have a Bachmann 3F in the collection but I'm not tearing it to bits to get the chassis, so I'll have to visit Wizard for the relevant Comet chassis.  While I'm there I can pick up some wheels. buffers and couplings as well.  

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/lcp8.jpg

The problem with this model is not going to be the build.  It will be the livery.  Have ya seen all the lining on that Wainwright livery?  :yikes:    I'm going to give it my best shot with masking.   I've had some good results with Jammydog tapes so fingers crossed.   If it all turns to worms I can revert to the early Southern Railway Maunsell Olive livery, which is still very nice but far easier to line out.

The railway stuff won't stop there though.  I have plans for two Maunsell V Class "Schools" locos in the Unarmed GB.   These will be static display models, not runners, using the old Kitmaster kits which are even older than I am!

I was born and grew up in the North West, which explains my bias towards LMS and LNWR subjects.  But can someone please explain to me why I am fascinated with SR locomotives?  Hence the O1 and the Schools.  :shrug:  

Enzo...now the your pills and have a wee lie down before you really do something silly....... like build them all!  :rofl2:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I am in the early stages of a 1/12 scale Hawker Fury biplane for indoor free flight, it's not going to be competitive here in pure scale terms with people doing nice resin and vac kits but I am happy to start a thread if anyone might be interested. It's mostly wood and tissue with some bits of carbon and mylar and so on. I won;t be up to 25% by 20 March, at least if I push something else ahead in the queue

Yes please. You're comment about not being competitive strikes a chord because I'm wondering about the gallery, votes etc. I'm wondering if there should be two galleries, one for 'competition' or at least kudos because I doubt they'll be a prize, and the other for those (like me) who are happy just to get over the finishing line.

I'm thinking this might solve the problem of a single gallery being too full for a ballot to be arranged.

11 hours ago, zebra said:

If I'm making a display stand it'll definitely have a wooden base but I don't think there's any white metal in the kit (doubts about the strength of the resin undercarriage are another reason I'm thinking about displaying it in flight - particularly since I'd have to put a fair bit of extra weight in the nose to counter the weight of the telescope) so only 3 materials so far. But there will need to be more to the display stand than it's base, so that will probably be metal. Maybe some PE (although I'd prefer not to) and there are a couple of bits that might be replaced with brass rod. I might use aluminium foil for the telescope mirrors too. 

Aha, I thought it was a white metal u/c. But I was thinking that the 3D component would add a lot of weight even for them and in flight might be a more robust future. The list of materials is getting positively salivatory (I think that's a word)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Yes please. You're comment about not being competitive strikes a chord because I'm wondering about the gallery, votes etc. I'm wondering if there should be two galleries, one for 'competition' or at least kudos because I doubt they'll be a prize, and the other for those (like me) who are happy just to get over the finishing line.

I'm thinking this might solve the problem of a single gallery being too full for a ballot to be arranged.

Thanks for your inclusive and welcoming comments!

I'm really just very aware that it's not generally the kind of model usually seen on here, and when considered purely as scale representation it will be fairly deficient compared to most of the other models due to the compromises required to make it fly around without human intervention.  But then, this is a very unusual GB which seems to be perfect for weird entries, so I suppose it's now or never.

Personally  I have never been under any illusions about being a contest-winning modeller and am extremely happy just to get something produced, and  if it creates a little interest and some insights into very different modelling disciplines I am very happy to put up some pics and narrative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 9:08 AM, Work In Progress said:

Personally  I have never been under any illusions about being a contest-winning modeller and am extremely happy just to get something produced, and  if it creates a little interest and some insights into very different modelling disciplines I am very happy to put up some pics and narrative.

Same here.

I build for my own enjoyment primarily, and at the moment it is helping to keep me just about sane. Of course I also enjoy the environment and the exchange of views in GB, but I have no interest in winning anything (probably heresy for a Yorkshireman to say that)😁

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4

On 12/01/2021 at 09:08, Work In Progress said:

I'm really just very aware that it's not generally the kind of model usually seen on here

Which is exactly why you should build it in this GB!  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2021 at 10:38, zebra said:

I too am planning to build a 1/144 scale model of SOFIA.  I'm going to be using the Eastern Express kit for this piece of bodgery (is that a word?).  

As I have lots of other projects in the pipeline I thought I'd get on with those for now and wait and see if anyone comes up with a conversion kit for building SOFIA in the meantime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

I too am planning to build a 1/144 scale model of SOFIA.  I'm going to be using the Eastern Express kit for this piece of bodgery (is that a word?).  

As I have lots of other projects in the pipeline I thought I'd get on with those for now and wait and see if anyone comes up with a conversion kit for building SOFIA in the meantime.

Bodgery most certainly be a word, or it is now! I'll nominate it for word of the year. I have rather more anxiety though about how much of this would be IM? Unless I've gone completely awry (and it has happened once or twice) Eastern Express are largely IM, so I'm wondering fi you're sure this would get below the 25% IM allowance? 

do you think it might sit better in the 'Unarmed' GB which is unrestrained about IM?

15 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Bodgery most certainly be a word, or it is now! I'll nominate it for word of the year. I have rather more anxiety though about how much of this would be IM? Unless I've gone completely awry (and it has happened once or twice) Eastern Express are largely IM, so I'm wondering fi you're sure this would get below the 25% IM allowance? 

do you think it might sit better in the 'Unarmed' GB which is unrestrained about IM?

I came into this thread via googling for '747SP SOFIA  kit' and managed to miss the whole point of the thread. - sorry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

I came into this thread via googling for '747SP SOFIA  kit' and managed to miss the whole point of the thread. - sorry. 

You're fine, nothing to worry about. I'm very impressed as to what Google can find; even in the depths of the BM forum! As I said, it might be build better suited to the unarmed GB, and in the meantime I'm sure @zebra and plenrty of fokl inth space sub-section on here will be able to give you lots of hints and tips.

Of course, if I can gently nudge you to see if you've any space or sci-fi in non-IM, maybe resin then that would be an excellent distraction for you come March and hop on board!!

M