Anything but injection GB Chat

14 hours ago, BritJet said:

I've got several of the larger AModel/ModelSvit kits that have the major parts in fibre glass with the rest injection moulded such as this https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/soviet/t4-sotka.htm

Can I check what the 25% rule applies to as many of the kits only have a few parts that aren't injection moulded but form the bulk of the model. I've got plenty of pure vacform/resin/3D printed kits that I can build in this GB if this type of kit isn't eligible.

Cheers.

Steve

I have seen your work before in the last "No-Injection Moulded" GB and know what is involved with these models, I don't have a problem with including them this time. Some of your last models were amazing! :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I have seen your work before in the last "No-Injection Moulded" GB and know what is involved with these models, I don't have a problem with including them this time. Some of your last models were amazing! :thumbsup:

Hurray! It shall go to the ball!! Very happy.

Now, how long before someone suggests a fibreglass kit-car?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Thanks, I really enjoyed this last time and am looking forward to having another go!

The 25% rule makes perfect sense to me but then I was looking at the kit(s) that I might build for this GB and wondered what it was a percentage of - total number of parts/area/volume etc. All of the large Amodel & Modelsvit kits I've got are in this format and whilst these kits are a lot of work, the more I think about the number of injection moulded parts in them, the less I feel they qualify within the spirit of the GB so I think I will build something else. The T-4 will still get built, hopefully this year, but I don't want to cause any confusion or bad feeling by including it here when it has more injection moulded 'minor' parts than many complete kits.

The HPH kits I've got are fibre glass and use resin instead of injection moulding for the smaller parts fitting perfectly within the rules, so I may well do a Tu-104, Tu-154 or Il-62 as my large build alongside at least one smaller vacform/resin kit.

Cheers.

Steve

I do know some of these models are a bit brief of parts, but the pre-work and painting more than make up for the lack of parts.

With most Non-Injection models easily 50% of the work is involved just in getting the surface ready for painting and painting, sometimes even more! So lack of parts is meaningless in this case.

I have seen some models where the number of parts is indirectly proportional to the work required!!! Scary stuff, only for us truly mad souls!  :D

• Haha 2

@Mjwomack  @trickyrich

For the record, as a co-host I do have a problem with including AMonsters. Having built a couple I know that building these things despite their sheer size is just like building any other injection short run kit. Following the same logic, we should allow any kits that include a couple resin parts. The GB after all is about the spirit, about building something differently.  What I want to avoid is the situation with "Interceptors" GB that crawled into just "Fighters". 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That's exactly why I decided to build something else as I felt there were too many injection moulded parts in the Amonster/ModelSvit kits for them to be eligible. To me the whole point of this GB is to showcase the 'other' types of kits that are out there and to encourage people to have a go at something different with learning all the new skills that requires.

Steve

• Like 1

I don't really know these AMonsters, but if they have an excess of injection moulded bits then yes I agree they are not in the spirit of this GB.

From memory when I hosted the original "Non-Injection" Moulded GB, I only allowed wee extra plastic bits from the spares box, @Pin I do agree and will take you judgement on this.

And, as previously with the original GB, if this drifts into "injection moulded with bits of not injected" then please withdraw my name from the list.

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritJet said:

That's exactly why I decided to build something else as I felt there were too many injection moulded parts in the Amonster/ModelSvit kits for them to be eligible. To me the whole point of this GB is to showcase the 'other' types of kits that are out there and to encourage people to have a go at something different with learning all the new skills that requires.

Thank you, Steve, much appreciated

@BritJet Thank you for being so gracious. I suspect that as a Newbie Host this is a problem of my making, what I'm hoping for is a GB where IM is the last resort; I went with the 25% figure because it seems to be a BM 'standard' for determine elegibilty in a GB.

Maybe 25% is too generous, I certainly agree with @bootneck about wanting it to be a build where the less fashionable materials, along with the latest @d printing has a chance to be showcased, and @Pin is spot on about this being the chance to use something different

So, apologies for any heartache to anyone, but I'm new to hosting so please be gentle with me

Michael

On 03/01/2021 at 16:49, Mjwomack said:

@BritJet Thank you for being so gracious. I suspect that as a Newbie Host this is a problem of my making, what I'm hoping for is a GB where IM is the last resort; I went with the 25% figure because it seems to be a BM 'standard' for determine elegibilty in a GB.

That is where I have the issue, to me it is quite clear what "Anything BUT injection" means.  If you look back through all the previous GB's,  especially the threads building up to their selections; there's always someone who wants to push the boundaries.   I don't understand that because, like buses, there will be another one along shortly.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Perhaps one of the problems is the word "Injection". The Milicast resin tanks I am hoping to build are, I suspect made using a silicone rubber mould that only lasts for a limited number of shots. Not sure exactly how they are made but when I make my own resin bits I often use a syringe to force the resin in and air out, and I guess many resin kits/parts are also made using pressure of some sort, rather than just pouring it in, so that could be said to be injection! Of course the difficulty is that you can't just say "anything but plastic" as both vac form and 3D printing use plastic of one sort or another I believe. Unfortunately a title such as "Not the normal, run of the mill, mainstream commercially produced injection moulded plastic kits" would be a bit cumbersome and still not cover all the loopholes!

I can understand where Mike @bootneck and Alexey are coming from with the Interceptors GB - all of mine are ones designed in the 1950's when they were specifically intended as interceptors (though the Mig-21 was known to carry rocket pods at times), but single purpose planes are both inflexible and expensive, hence the trend towards multipurpose, and let's face it, even the Sopwith Camel sometimes had bombs hung on it and was used for ground attack!

Tricky, but at the end of the day it is meant to be fun so a bit of flexibility does not hurt, providing it does not go too far! You have nothing to apologise about Michael @Mjwomack as far as I am concerned.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

There was a good thread a couple of years ago about how industrial styrene injection moulding works. I spent some 20 minutes abusing BM's search engine but I could not find it. IMO if kit parts are not produced by this process and equipment

then it is eligible for this GB

• Like 2

On 03/01/2021 at 13:37, bootneck said:

And, as previously with the original GB, if this drifts into "injection moulded with bits of not injected" then please withdraw my name from the list.

Mike

18 hours ago, bootneck said:

That is where I have the issue, to me it is quite clear what "Anything BUT injection" means.  If you look back through all the previous GB's,  especially the threads building up to their selections; there's always someone who wants to push the boundaries.   I don't understand that because, like buses, there will be another one shortly.

cheers,
Mike

@bootneck PM inbound

Steve

Hopefully these kits will be elidgable:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/maim-maim35518-schwabenland-army-hammerschlag-2-fruehe-ausf--1171432

I have a couple of their 'what if' style robots I'd like to build up, they seem to be 3D printed parts rather than resin.

Cos it's either that or I'm going to go balsa on you - with one of those old school balsa and tissue paper planes (the ones with a rubber band 'motor') - I might actually do one of those too if possible, though if memory serves I doubt it'll survive much past it's maiden flight!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Scargsy said:

Hopefully these kits will be elidgable:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/maim-maim35518-schwabenland-army-hammerschlag-2-fruehe-ausf--1171432

I have a couple of their 'what if' style robots I'd like to build up, they seem to be 3D printed parts rather than resin.

Cos it's either that or I'm going to go balsa on you - with one of those old school balsa and tissue paper planes (the ones with a rubber band 'motor') - I might actually do one of those too if possible, though if memory serves I doubt it'll survive much past it's maiden flight!

3d printed kits qualify

• Like 1

Absolutely, and she doesn't look like she'd take no for an answer in any case!

This looks like being the first GB with a significant 3D printing presence and also good to see some Sci-fi/ fantasy which is seriously under-represented at the moment

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pin said:

3d printed kits qualify

That's good as I seem to have picked up this CAD/3D printing malarky.  

I was thinking about entering a vacform model but, if I finish drawing it in time, I may do something like this:

spacer.png

Unless I finish it sooner and can't wait to print and build it; then it will be back to the vacform!

Mike

In the words of Freddie Mercury, I want it all😁

Anything from old school paper and wood to the latest technologies

All our welcome, unlike Freddie I won't be providing 'entertaiments' for the guests 😉

Or course I could egg you on to do both vac, which would be very Freddie