Anything but injection GB Chat

Hi @Mjwomack

Just a quick check to confirm my provisional project is eligible in this GB.  The loco is an LNWR Prince of Wales class.

My main concern is that the chassis isn't a kit.  It is from an RTR Hornby B12.  The remaining parts are 3D printed.   I bought them off evilbay.

Still to be sourced are the bogie, tender wheels, tender drawbar and brake gear.

The loco crew is likely to be injection moulded. :D

spacer.png

• Like 2

Setting aside my bias😜 and trying to be impartial...The key thing is to avoid PIMPs, that Plastic Injection Moulding Please, so the chassis block is metal and perfectly fine. Even if you do use IM train crew they'll still be well under the 25% rule that I thought of to allow for raiding the scraps box.

Though I'm sure you've picked up that you can now get bespoke 3D figures, so why not allow yourself to be the driver?🤩

Intrigued this is 3D print as I assumed it was resin cast.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 10:30, Mjwomack said:

Intrigued this is 3D print as I assumed it was resin cast.

I also assumed it was resin cast.  However there is far too much delicate detail on the parts as well as numerous undercuts which resin casting cannot deal with.  There is also a very fine texture on the boiler and cab roof which is indicative of 3D printing.  I'm pretty sure that texture will disappear after a minor application of 1000 grade wet and dry.   

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Hi @Mjwomack

Still to be sourced are the bogie, tender wheels, tender drawbar and brake gear.

Hi Enzo,

What sort of bogie and tender wheels do you need - since I "retired" from railway modelling I have a lot of spares in my roof. 

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PeterB said:

What sort of bogie and tender wheels do you need - since I "retired" from railway modelling I have a lot of spares in my roof. 

Thanks for the offer Pete but I already have some winging their way towards me.  They are 3'10'' H-spoke wheels from Alan Gibson.

Great,

According to my copy of Talbot's "Illustrated History of LNWR Engines" they were 10 spoke 3' 9" diameter (though that might not be the case for all) so that should be close enough! The bogie looks very shallow. Essery & Jenkinson give a good list of all the various mods (post grouping?) on the class in their LMS loco series, but I expect you have all the info you need.

I shall watch this with interest.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, halfwit said:

Looks like I'll have work to do then. My entry will be an etched brass loco kit in OO9 (4mm/1:76 scale on 9mm gauge track) loco, not sure what yet but there's a few in the stash.

:wub:    :popcorn:  

My thumbs are itching to build a 1/72 Etrich Taube using wood, tissue paper, wire and cord 

but

1. Moa is presently not here for me to ask advice and

2. it's probably easier to cut those thumbs off!

Thus I'll keep to something easier, like a white-metal or resin figure

• Haha 1

I may be enticed to dip a toe in the water with this (pre-owned) Focke-Wulf 58 Weihe Vacform...

The pre-WW2 Dutch LuchtvaartAfdeeling (LVA) used these as trainer/transports just before the war broke out.

y4muqwAr3640fnEBJecWmBOd6mIvWimrj-bUPeLK

• Like 6

Over the past few weeks since the start date for this G/B was established iv been pondering which of my resin kits to undertake .

When the idea for this G/B was mooted 2 years ago i think i put my name down with the idea of doing some Luft 46 aircraft , however the stars have lined up to cause me to have a change of plan .

This will be my entry

50786667508_f62818a623_b.jpgP1030580 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

It must be only a short time before zoukei mura bring out a state of the art kit  .(just as they did shortly after i finished my Rutman henschel 129  AKA pig kit )

Its there to be built . I think when i got it when it first came out i didnt believe i had the skills to do a raesonable job  .(pig kit gave me more confidence }

All other projects will have easily been completed

Its the right time of the year

So thats it when i press submit Reply ,im committed

• Like 5

On 12/21/2020 at 9:46 PM, trickyrich said:

A 3D printed ENZO!!!!!  

Can you just imagine the places he'd in up at/in!!! 🤣

It's mind boggling isn't it. From mu limited understanding of 3D printing it's scaleable so there can be nano Enzo, and if he there's enough granules a macro Enzo- imagine that!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, halfwit said:

Looks like I'll have work to do then. My entry will be an etched brass loco kit in OO9 (4mm/1:76 scale on 9mm gauge track) loco, not sure what yet but there's a few in the stash.

Of all the materials I'm inept in sheets of brass are the market leader. I can never get the fold's square and tight. And if it's a rolled boiler rather than a pre-formed one then I'm out straight off.I'' be ready for a maestro at work

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Black Knight said:

My thumbs are itching to build a 1/72 Etrich Taube using wood, tissue paper, wire and cord 

but

1. Moa is presently not here for me to ask advice and

2. it's probably easier to cut those thumbs off!

Thus I'll keep to something easier, like a white-metal or resin figure

I'm new to hosting a GB, and will no doubt make mistakes but I"m sure that somewhere in it all I have a duty of care to try and disuade you from cutting your fingers off😃. A resin or white metal figure sounds excellent- not many offered up so far (along with a big shortage of sci-fi and space)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Over the past few weeks since the start date for this G/B was established iv been pondering which of my resin kits to undertake .

When the idea for this G/B was mooted 2 years ago i think i put my name down with the idea of doing some Luft 46 aircraft , however the stars have lined up to cause me to have a change of plan .

This will be my entry

It must be only a short time before zoukei mura bring out a state of the art kit  .(just as they did shortly after i finished my Rutman henschel 129  AKA pig kit )

Its there to be built . I think when i got it when it first came out i didnt believe i had the skills to do a raesonable job  .(pig kit gave me more confidence }

All other projects will have easily been completed

Its the right time of the year

So thats it when i press submit Reply ,im committed

I think it's an inviolate rule of the universe that once we commit to building a difficult kit, a far easier and better one is released😀

• Haha 2

I've got several of the larger AModel/ModelSvit kits that have the major parts in fibre glass with the rest injection moulded such as this https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/soviet/t4-sotka.htm

Can I check what the 25% rule applies to as many of the kits only have a few parts that aren't injection moulded but form the bulk of the model. I've got plenty of pure vacform/resin/3D printed kits that I can build in this GB if this type of kit isn't eligible.

Cheers.

Steve

On 31/12/2020 at 21:28, halfwit said:

I also have a number of loco kits in The Stash.  Given my glacial completion rate I thought it best not to commit to one of them.  If I had done, it would have been an LNWR Claughton - my second favourite steam engine. 

As things stand, I will be building an LNWR Prince of Wales, which uses an RTR chassis and 3D printed boiler/cab/footplate,   The coward's way out! :lol:

I take my hat off to you, sir.  I will watch with interest.  :popcorn: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Of all the materials I'm inept in sheets of brass are the market leader. I can never get the fold's square and tight. And if it's a rolled boiler rather than a pre-formed one then I'm out straight off.I'' be ready for a maestro at work

Do you use a soldering iron for this sort of kit?  If so, it becomes less difficult.

Mind you, it's been twenty years since I build one of these kits.  I really should jump back in to the fun!

5 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I am soooooo jealous!!! :wub: Been chasing one of these for ages, came very close to getting one buy got pipped at the last moment!! I hope that wasn't you!!! I know ZM is talking about it...but man!! It's 1/32nd and resin!!! :wub:

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

It's mind boggling isn't it. From mu limited understanding of 3D printing it's scaleable so there can be nano Enzo, and if he there's enough granules a macro Enzo- imagine that!

We so need a wee Enzo character!!  Then we could ll buy one and have a "Where's Enzo?" GB, where you have to fit a wee Enzo into your build.....just imagine the places you could fit Enzo in a model! :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

We so need a wee Enzo character!!  Then we could ll buy one and have a "Where's Enzo?" GB, where you have to fit a wee Enzo into your build.....just imagine the places you could fit Enzo in a model! :D

Be careful what you wish for!  :wicked: 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I am soooooo jealous!!! :wub: Been chasing one of these for ages, came very close to getting one buy got pipped at the last moment!! I hope that wasn't you!!! I know ZM is talking about it...but man!! It's 1/32nd and resin!!! :wub:

I can't find the GB proposal for the where's Nano Enzo- do I need to look harder?🤪. I'd sign up, selling them models could be a Britmodeller fundraiser to pay for the server. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, BritJet said:

I've got several of the larger AModel/ModelSvit kits that have the major parts in fibre glass with the rest injection moulded such as this https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/soviet/t4-sotka.htm

Can I check what the 25% rule applies to as many of the kits only have a few parts that aren't injection moulded but form the bulk of the model. I've got plenty of pure vacform/resin/3D printed kits that I can build in this GB if this type of kit isn't eligible.

Cheers.

Steve

Oh this is so hard! My heart says, 'ooh fibreglass, hadn't thought of that', but my head says, 'that is a lot of IM parts, however you look at it'. My thinking about the 25% rule had been to allow a bit of raiding from the spares box for hard to find bits and bobs to make life easier for scratbuilders etc. Such as @Enzo Matrix's footplate crew (until he discovered himself in 3D printing😜), or with self-interest in mind if I do a card buildng but want to use IM rainwater goods.

Much as I'd love to see this in the GB, I do think it stretches the IM waiver a bit too far, but I'm very open to my co-hosts @trickyrich and @Pin over-ruling me, or a cries of leniency from the BM massive, because I suspect there'd be a lot of interest in this.