Anything but injection GB Chat

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

Kingsway made an OO scale card model of the station and you could have knocked me down with a feather when I discovered it!

20201203-125917.jpg

:thumbsup:  The personal connection will make this one really special.  :popcorn:  

• Like 2

I'd have thought a kit would need at least 2 pieces, not sure how the less than 25% completed rule would work for less than 8 pieces 🤷

Intriguing though, what happens with 3D printing if it all comes out in one print run (if that's the phrase for it)

I have quite a stock of resin kits in my stash plus a few vac forms and even a couple of white metal, so I'm feeling pretty positive about signing up for this one. Possibilities are:

Some 1/72 ideas:

Bleriot XI-2 Artillerie - Vac form (Blue Rider)

Fiat G-91Y - Resin (Italian Kit from YS Castings)

Fiat G-91T - Vacform (Aeroclub)

Slingsby T-53 - Resin (Scale Resin)

Grob Viking - Resin (Heritage Aviation)

Slingsby Kirby Cadet Mk 1 - Resin (CMR)

I'm favouring one of the gliders perhaps.

If I went 1/48, I do have a very nice Resin Chipmunk from Heritage Aviation ............

Terry

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I have quite a stock of resin kits in my stash plus a few vac forms and even a couple of white metal, so I'm feeling pretty positive about signing up for this one. Possibilities are:

Some 1/72 ideas:

Bleriot XI-2 Artillerie - Vac form (Blue Rider)

Fiat G-91Y - Resin (Italian Kit from YS Castings)

Fiat G-91T - Vacform (Aeroclub)

Slingsby T-53 - Resin (Scale Resin)

Grob Viking - Resin (Heritage Aviation)

Slingsby Kirby Cadet Mk 1 - Resin (CMR)

I'm favouring one of the gliders perhaps.

If I went 1/48, I do have a very nice Resin Chipmunk from Heritage Aviation ............

Terry

I vote for all of them! Back in reality and constraints such as time, we don't often see a glider model so they're be really interesting

• Like 1

I've got a few resin kits stashed away so I will join this GB when the time comes. 

I want to ask whether the MetalEarth kits would be welcome here? I have two I'd like to do - the Kepler Space Telescope and the Chandra X-Ray telescope. For those who don't know they are basically kits made of PE, I guess, and you assemble them much like you'd do a paper model.

Some MetalEarth subjects are a bit silly to our modellers' eyes at least, but the two I mention actually look to be an ok basis for a model of those unusual subjects.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

I've got a few resin kits stashed away so I will join this GB when the time comes. 

I want to ask whether the MetalEarth kits would be welcome here? I have two I'd like to do - the Kepler Space Telescope and the Chandra X-Ray telescope. For those who don't know they are basically kits made of PE, I guess, and you assemble them much like you'd do a paper model.

Some MetalEarth subjects are a bit silly to our modellers' eyes at least, but the two I mention actually look to be an ok basis for a model of those unusual subjects.

Every day's a school day 😂. Had to look up metal earth, they're most welcome. Some of them look fascinating. 

I'm waiting for someone to ask about origami, though I think it would be a yes though

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

I didn't know about them either. But they have some nice subjects, looks pretty cool too. I'll make a note of those. 

• Like 1

How about a Hornby ready-to-run chassis?   That's the sticking point for my idea as it's not really a kit.  But if it were to be added to a resin boiler, footplate and cab, together with a resin tender with metal wheels, would it be eligible for this GB?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Prince_of_Wales_Class

You had me at Hornby🤣  Seriously though, I think an important consideration is do you consider it as a kit? For my part, there's the possibility of replacing the handrails etc. with separate ones. Then its got to be painted, decals sourced (Fox's I assume) and coupling details, brake pipes etc. 

I think on a railway message board it would be considered a kit because it's not ready to run. So if it would be good enough for RMNWeb, who are we to quibble?

• Thanks 1

Hi @Mjwomack

Sounds like this might be a good place for my bag full of Millicast 1/76 resin tanks? I have I believe 23 of them to build and it will make a change from planes!

Can you confirm they would be eligible please.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi @Mjwomack

Sounds like this might be a good place for my bag full of Millicast 1/76 resin tanks? I have I believe 23 of them to build and it will make a change from planes!

Can you confirm they would be eligible please.

Cheers

Pete

Panto time, oh yes they are 😃

Ok it wasn't a very good panto this year

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks,

I had not noticed Heather's 1/76 trucks etc, including one from Millicast. OK, count me in. An hour to seperate from the block and clean up, 12 hours in degreaser, a couple of hours to build, and maybe a week to paint as I am using Colourcoats enamels. After that it is finding and applying some decs. Make a change from the 50+ plastic/resin planes I have built since starting participating in GB in June 2019. I truck, 2 armoured cars, one self propelled gun, and the rest are tanks/tank destroyers from the UK, US,Japan and Germany.

Pete

• Like 1

I'd like to join this. I have a card model of a robin (bird, not car!) bought at a bird sanctuary years ago when I actually used to go out and do things with my son before he became a teenage recluse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ned said:

I'd like to join this. I have a card model of a robin (bird, not car!) bought at a bird sanctuary years ago when I actually used to go out and do things with my son before he became a teenage recluse.

Will it be in civil or military markings? ;)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ned said:

Ah the 'dark tunnel of adolescence' ©️ Lauren Child, but for a minute there I thought you were going to make us all nostalgic for life before covid when we all 'actually used to go out and do things'😬.

I've a feeling this could be a lot harder than it sounds and may win the 'closest thing to an origami swan award' - not a real thing btw

22 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

for a minute there I thought you were going to make us all nostalgic for life before covid when we all 'actually used to go out and do things'😬.

I didn't.  It's a measure of how anti-social I am that lockdown didn't change my life one bit.  :lol:  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I didn't.  It's a measure of how anti-social I am that lockdown didn't change my life one bit.  :lol:  

I must admit that it's sort of the same for me... I don't like birthday party's anyway 😇

Hi all,

I would like to join this please.

I have been in a period of very slow modelling of late and with a change of interests to boot.  Over the last couple of years I've been very slowly trying to build the Airfix HMS Victory and in conjunction with researching various bits and bobs for that and the enjoyment I got from the figure I almost completed for the BoB GB decided to have a further go at some figure sculpture based on some figures in a painting of the Battle of Trafalgar by Daniel Maclise entitled the 'Death of Nelson':

50721605418_2ef17739c3_z.jpg

So if acceptable I'd like to enter a 1/10th scale Battle of Trafalgar Royal Marine sculpted in clay, I may not finish it in the time period allotted but it should be an interesting learning process.

I have made a start well below the 25% total effort required but I will desist from further efforts other than construction of an armature for the figure.

I started with the Musket as it has defined and well documented dimensions and will help with the scale of the figure, it is a short pattern sea service musket and is constructed from scraps of sprue, plastic card/rod and brass:

50721605408_cf8d24e7b7_z.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7

10 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Hi all,

I would like to join this please.

I have been in a period of very slow modelling of late and with a change of interests to boot.  Over the last couple of years I've been very slowly trying to build the Airfix HMS Victory and in conjunction with researching various bits and bobs for that and the enjoyment I got from the figure I almost completed for the BoB GB decided to have a further go at some figure sculpture based on some figures in a painting of the Battle of Trafalgar by Daniel Maclise entitled the 'Death of Nelson':

50721605418_2ef17739c3_z.jpg

So if acceptable I'd like to enter a 1/10th scale Battle of Trafalgar Royal Marine sculpted in clay, I may not finish it in the time period allotted but it should be an interesting learning process.

I have made a start well below the 25% total effort required but I will desist from further efforts other than construction of an armature for the figure.

I started with the Musket as it has defined and well documented dimensions and will help with the scale of the figure, it is a short pattern sea service musket and is constructed from scraps of sprue, plastic card/rod and brass:

50721605408_cf8d24e7b7_z.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

That is absolutely stunning!

• Like 1