1/72 Airifx Hawker Hurricane Mk I

Val

Hello all, hope you are well?

I've not done a build thread for a very long time. Tell the truth, I sort of fell out of love with making build threads. Nothing to do with you lovely people or the great site in general. It was a reaction to the Photobucket situation. However, that was now several months ago, we've all got new hosting sites and have moved on. Time for me to do the same, and what better way then with a Hawker GB?

I'm going for the Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk.1. Here she is boxed up and ready for action!

IMG_1296-XL.jpg

The first task was to get all the bits which will be black ready for paint. I'm undercoating the cockpit with black where necessary.

IMG_1297-X2.jpg

The exception to this is the prop. I'm going to undercoat this in whatever primer I choose and will paint the brown front bit first. I think it'll be easier to mask the front and paint the rest black rather than the other way around.

IMG_1298-XL.jpg

And here they are painted in Tamiya Rubber Black. The exhaust stacks are painted black effectively for an undercoat.

IMG_1299-X3.jpg

I've also got all the aluminium bits ready for paint/assembly.

IMG_1300-X3.jpg

I was a little concerned about the wheel well. It's complex how it goes together for 1/72 and with the soft Airfix plastic and lack of totally positive fit, it raised alarm bells. But actually this was misplaced, it went together a treat and a dry fit indicates I should have no issues further on.

Next step was the cockpit green. The instructions call out for a lot more metal and other colours I've not really seen before on Hurricane interiors, but I'm not following them. I'm really not going to get bogged down in the pit as the canopy will be closed. I image it's going to be 90% invisible by the time I've finished!

IMG_1301-X2.jpg

I'm just going to pick out one or two details in black, quick wash and dry brush and move on to more on. I've being doing this a few years now, and while I'm not claiming to be any sort of expert (the opposite in fact), I have learnt there's things which are more worth while putting time into than others... Not a comment at all on the amazing work others do, it's just that I regularly get bogged down and miss deadlines!

So that's it, more soon!

Val

• Like 13

Hi Friends,

Thanks for you kind comments. I have added a little more...

First thing was detail work in the cockpit, dry brushing and the not-very-nice instrument decal.

IMG_1304-XL.jpg

Followed by a Mig Dark wash to the cockpit and all the metal bits

IMG_1305-L.jpg

IMG_1306-L.jpg

IMG_1307-L.jpg

I also painted around the air intake silver to help when everything else is installed.

IMG_1308-L.jpg

Here is the cockpit dry and ready for fitting. I'm not sure how accurate it is, ie what bits should be metal and what green, but I'm not too worried as such little will be seen.

IMG_1314-L.jpg

The cockpit goes together well. It says to attach the tubing off the instrument to the rear bulk head first but I found it easier to attach the rear bulkhead and the IP separately to the fuselage and glue them together afterwards.

IMG_1315-L.jpg

It was fiddly getting the seat onto the bulkhead mount, but that is the only fiddly bit I've so far encountered.

I get the pedals and control stick installed, and the wings together. Everything a lovely fit! The bottom wing seems slightly larger than the top wing for some reason, but as this is all going to be sanded in, it's not a problem at all. I've also noticed how few panel lines there are to rescribe on a Hurricane! Lovely stuff!

IMG_1317-L.jpg

I've since got the fuselage together and wings installed. All a very impressive fit, good work so far Airfix!

Thanks for watching,

Val

• Like 9

Airfix made several mistakes on this kit:

1) the area immediately behind the gun access panels was metal not fabric - fixable by filling and sanding

2) the canopy is 'off' - I chose to ignore it.

There are others, @Troy Smithhas pointed them out on here but I can't find his posts referring to them all.

On 10/03/2018 at 15:04, Val said:

The instructions call out for a lot more metal and other colours I've not really seen before on Hurricane interiors, but I'm not following them.

pretty much t assumption frommy modelling youth RAF interiors, = grey-green.

Over the past few years much more information has come  to light,  andup  to mid war,  APART for cockpits,  the insides are aluminium paint.

in the case of the Hurricane,  apart from upper side  walls and rear bulkhead,  it's all  aluminium.

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033783-airfix-hawker-hurricane-148/&do=findComment&comment=2962256

and pics and links

http://w ww.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033783-airfix-hawker-hurricane-148/&do=findComment&comment=2964696

17 minutes ago, Beard said:

Airfix made several mistakes on this kit:

1) the area immediately behind the gun access panels was metal not fabric - fixable by filling and sanding

2) the canopy is 'off' - I chose to ignore it.

There are others, @Troy Smithhas pointed them out on here but I can't find his posts referring to them all.

eg this one.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995270-if-airfix-were-to-re-tool-more-of-their-old-kits-what-should-they-be/&do=findComment&comment=2979265

the canopy and wheels are visually  jarrring  (if you are me)

I sanded down the canopy and cut down the windescreen,  but cracked the canopy.    Various AM do wheels,  the Airfic ones are 4 spoke and all fabric  winged Hurricane have 5 spoke.

Depends how  bothered you are,   I have descended ito lunacy on this so please feel free to ignore,  plus I  now need to go  and help with one of those die cut plywood  kits of a 'spitfire'  that the daughter wants  to finish.   Suitable rememdy for AMS i think.

Neat work Val,  hope some of the  aboveis of interest (or for others)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 15/03/2018 at 6:44 PM, Troy Smith said:

pretty much t assumption frommy modelling youth RAF interiors, = grey-green.

Over the past few years much more information has come  to light,  andup  to mid war,  APART for cockpits,  the insides are aluminium paint.

in the case of the Hurricane,  apart from upper side  walls and rear bulkhead,  it's all  aluminium.

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033783-airfix-hawker-hurricane-148/&do=findComment&comment=2962256

and pics and links

http://w ww.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033783-airfix-hawker-hurricane-148/&do=findComment&comment=2964696

eg this one.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995270-if-airfix-were-to-re-tool-more-of-their-old-kits-what-should-they-be/&do=findComment&comment=2979265

the canopy and wheels are visually  jarrring  (if you are me)

I sanded down the canopy and cut down the windescreen,  but cracked the canopy.    Various AM do wheels,  the Airfic ones are 4 spoke and all fabric  winged Hurricane have 5 spoke.

Depends how  bothered you are,   I have descended ito lunacy on this so please feel free to ignore,  plus I  now need to go  and help with one of those die cut plywood  kits of a 'spitfire'  that the daughter wants  to finish.   Suitable rememdy for AMS i think.

Neat work Val,  hope some of the  aboveis of interest (or for others)

Thank you for all your info, and yes, I am very interested. I have a couple of Airfix and Italeri 1/48 hurricanes, so I shall use the info for work on their cockpits; I’ll take a little more care than with the 1/72 kit.

i won’t worry about correcting the other mistakes, simple because I’m concerned I’ll make them worse, plus I want to keep this model simple and fairly quick. I am very interested to learn though, so it’s appriciated :)

cheers,

Val

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Val said:

I have a couple of Airfix and Italeri 1/48 hurricanes, so I shall use the info for work on their cockpits; I’ll take a little more care than with the 1/72 kit.

The 1/48th Airfix kit can be tricky,  this has some helpful info

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027581-airfix-148-hurricane/&do=findComment&comment=2902041

though I wonder if it might be easier to  modify  the construction to  every other Hurricane kit and just put all the cockpit into the fuselage..

this is still the best build of  the Airfix kit I've seen

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986216-148-airfix-new-tool-hurricane-mki-p3039-from-no229-squadron-completed-on-31-10-at-1150-pm

The Italeri kit is fascinating..... 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/&do=findComment&comment=1390213

funny thing,  they get right   what Airfix get wrong...

But, assuming you are not barking on the subject (what me?)   a pragmatic approach on the Italeri is to use one of  the spare Airfix props and reshape  the nose ring,  the Italeri spinners are horrible,  and obviously so,  especially when placed next to a correctly shaped one.

removing the lip on the tyre of the Italeri kit  greatly helps as well.   

HTH

• Like 1

Val,

Nice work so far I’ll forward to seeing the finished model.

Troy,

At what point do you think you will put your knowledge into practice and actually build and finish a Hurricane model in whatever scale from whatever manufacturer??

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Troy,

At what point do you think you will put your knowledge into practice and actually build and finish a Hurricane model in whatever scale from whatever manufacturer??

good question John

this one....  :shocked:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008978-revell-hurricane-1144th-daughters-first-build-with-dads-help/

@Smithy  and someone here,  asked the same question.  

I'll do my best have them up in this Hawker group build as other have  said  the same thing as well.

Ongoing projects,  many,   two steps forward, one step back and all that.

This valid suggestion has right now two 72nd Hurricanes in bits in the chaos that is 'a bench',   a AZMk.IV/V,   and a Airfix fabric wing mk.I,  which get prodded when the  mood takes me.   Both under the 20% rule  for  here for sure.   I  have a part hacked Heller IIc as well....somewhere.

Given the lack of experience and clear space to airbrush,  I've been brush painting acrylic,   and have got Vallejo  matches for  some RAF paints. (it brushes well, and I got some paint sets at  points from Creative specials) but the descriptions are rubbish, so  it's brush outs and the RAF musuem book paints  chips for  matches.  (which needs daylight)

Been working out mixes for Azure Blue and Mid Stone..  with some success.

I wasted an age making a wheel well for the  AZ,  but was a useful learning process.

the Airfix needs a vac canopy,  and some new wheels (which I am working on)

Ironically I was intending to slap the Airfix kit together but I actually find the tweaking and research very interesting  (hence my frequent posts)  but the actual process of documenting and uploading pics a chore....

The detail  and kit information I post is meant to be helpful and a sharing of research,   I get the impression you have thought otherwise at  points, but honestly this place is my only place where the kind of info is actually of some  use or interest,   which is why I take  the time to post it.

cheers

T

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

good question John

this one....  :shocked:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008978-revell-hurricane-1144th-daughters-first-build-with-dads-help/

@Smithy  and someone here,  asked the same question.  

I'll do my best have them up in this Hawker group build as other have  said  the same thing as well.

Ongoing projects,  many,   two steps forward, one step back and all that.

This valid suggestion has right now two 72nd Hurricanes in bits in the chaos that is 'a bench',   a AZMk.IV/V,   and a Airfix fabric wing mk.I,  which get prodded when the  mood takes me.   Both under the 20% rule  for  here for sure.   I  have a part hacked Heller IIc as well....somewhere.

Given the lack of experience and clear space to airbrush,  I've been brush painting acrylic,   and have got Vallejo  matches for  some RAF paints. (it brushes well, and I got some paint sets at  points from Creative specials) but the descriptions are rubbish, so  it's brush outs and the RAF musuem book paints  chips for  matches.  (which needs daylight)

Been working out mixes for Azure Blue and Mid Stone..  with some success.

I wasted an age making a wheel well for the  AZ,  but was a useful learning process.

the Airfix needs a vac canopy,  and some new wheels (which I am working on)

Ironically I was intending to slap the Airfix kit together but I actually find the tweaking and research very interesting  (hence my frequent posts)  but the actual process of documenting and uploading pics a chore....

The detail  and kit information I post is meant to be helpful and a sharing of research,   I get the impression you have thought otherwise at  points, but honestly this place is my only place where the kind of info is actually of some  use or interest,   which is why I take  the time to post it.

cheers

T

Post some pics of whatever you're working on Troy. It's always interesting to see the work of modellers with the same interests as yourself. I was probably a bit tough on you in earlier threads about posting your work and I'm sorry if I was, I just thought it a shame that someone with your knowledge isn't posting what he's been working on in plastic.

I'm not saying this is you but sometimes people with a vast amount of knowledge about a subject are reticent about posting their modelling efforts relating to it as they're worried their modelling efforts don't match their level of knowledge of a subject. I'm probably a prime example of that.

If I'm honest I know a fair bit about the BoB, certain squadrons in Fighter Command and SE5/5as and SE5/5a units in the RFC and RAF but TBH my modelling prowess will never probably match or be properly translated into what I know about those subjects. I'm an average modeller at the best of times but I keeping buggering on as old Winston said.

BTW I've been fiddling around a bit with azure blue as I have a Tomahawk build planned and a little further down the line a Spit flown by one of my rellies, and although I bought Vallejo's offering I found myself coming back to my old mix of Humbrol 89 mixed with a very small amount of red and depending on the red, sometimes a little white as well.

Apologies Val for drifting off from your build which is looking absolutely wonderful.

Cheers,

Tim 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, interesting discussion and I appreciate all the help.

Just a quick question @Troy Smith, am I right in thinking the silver section of the underside of this Hurricane is a painted aluminium finish as opposed to a natural metal finish? I'm not sure what bits of a Hurricane Mk.I is wooden/fabric or metal skin.

Many thanks,

Val

4 hours ago, Val said:

Hi all, interesting discussion and I appreciate all the help.

Just a quick question @Troy Smith, am I right in thinking the silver section of the underside of this Hurricane is a painted aluminium finish as opposed to a natural metal finish? I'm not sure what bits of a Hurricane Mk.I is wooden/fabric or metal skin.

Hi Val

glad it's been of use, and apologies for the thread drift.

the underside section is painted aluminium.

there is a very good walkround here

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

of the Science Museum Hurricane,  which shows clearly what is fabric covered and what is metal,   though the cockpit doghouse is plywood covered in fabric.

which are the red bit in this,   common model glitch is having metal scuffing on this part...

240402d.jpg

the fabric in more on the underwing, on the upperwing it start outboard of the gun bays.

well seen here

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph

where the fabric has fade or photographs lighter.

for clarity, and comparison,  this is the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76586-hawker-sea-hurricane/

which may well be clearer showing the different materials.

this shot in particular

Sea%20Hurricane-022.JPG

you can see the rivets on the metal panels, and the ribbing on the fabric,  as well as the transition from fabric covered ply to fabric over srtingers,  many models have this as a panel line.   

the breakout panel  (not a door as shown on many builds)  is also fabric covered ply.

always worth a read is this

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

hope of use,  and not too much info,  please ask for any clarifications.

cheers

T

• Like 3

No, that's great. Thanks again @Troy Smith for you invaluable information and great links. One other quick question, I assume the props are wooden on these early Mk.I aircraft? Just thinking ahead in case I get carried away in the weathering process, although I'm not intending to super detail this kit. (having said that, I usually heavy weather to hide mistakes and accidents!!)

2 hours ago, Val said:

One other quick question, I assume the props are wooden on these early Mk.I aircraft? Just thinking ahead in case I get carried away in the weathering process, although I'm not intending to super detail this kit. (having said that, I usually heavy weather to hide mistakes and accidents!!)

the two blade?  Yes.

If you are  doing a peacetime Mk.I,  then they were very well maintained.

One  of the great discoveries are a few photos of some pre war Hurricane of 3 Squadron,  in colour!

2527541716_bdf7872519_o.jpgHurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

2525590932_1d5fb9662f_o.jpgHurricane I by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

note in this shot there is a roundelonly under the starboard wing.

3559753440_21aa4c4904_o.jpgHurricane mk.I by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

What markings  are you planning on using?   If it's the 111 Sq,  they were the first unit to get Hurricanes,  and from the photos I have seen, were immaculate.

HTH

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

HTH

It certainly does, Troy, thank you! It's quite striking the colour difference on the wings between the fabric and metal areas! Yeah I plan to keep her clean, but we'll see how I get on! :lol:

So, wings are attached to the main body. It was a little fiddly getting the joysick threaded into the pit as the wings come together with the fuselage, but the fit is near on perfect.

IMG_1340-L.jpg

I have rescribed where required, but not much was needed in truth due to the lack of panels on a hurricane.

IMG_1341-L.jpg

With that done, the pump thing was installed into the where well. I was not sure why this was not installed earlier in the build, but I thought 'follow the instructions, must be a reason'. I can confirm there was no reason and it would have been a heck of a lot easier to have installed it earlier! I have also applied Mr Surfacer 500 to the areas where I thought seams might have been an issue. Waiting for that to dry now before sanding back. Also masked the light on the underside off with some Vallejo masking fluid. And for those wondering, yes I have left a nice finger print where I held the radiator together whilst gluing!

IMG_1342-L.jpg

The rear control surfaces have been installed, with a great, positive fit. The rudder has no locating points, just a flush surface to glue on to. I have given the rudder a slight angle to give it a bit of life, and I thought a slight error in fitting will be less obvious than if it was straight.

IMG_1343-L.jpg

I have also masked the canopy. That was a predictable pain!

Basically ready for primer now, and I continue to be very impressed with this little kit.

Cheers,

Val

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Val said:

Oh, sorry @Troy Smith, meant to say I am indeed doing 111 Sq bird. LI584 from the box front.

Hi Val,

MAM from November 2005 had an excellent article on Hurri camouflage and markings from November 1935 to August 1938 and had a full page devoted to L1584.

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers!

Tim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Thank you all for your help. Tim, the info you sent me is invaluable!

Sorry it's been a while. I've been busy getting married over Easter! So, not much time at the bench...

I have edited my previous post as some pics were missing. Hopefully that's all solved now.

I have also done a little more to this kit. All going fine really, just getting ready for paint.

First thing as a little Mr Surfacer to the tail to fuselage join, a bit gappy but an easy fix.

IMG_1386-L.jpg

Front windscreen fitted:

IMG_1387-L.jpg

Next job was the exhausts, painted with Vallejo Exhaust Manifold. A nice colour, dark metal but with that goldy warm look. I didn't want to go down the rusted iron look, I want this bird to look quite new and clean (but used) after the very interesting chats above.

IMG_1388-XL.jpg

Ready for paint!

IMG_1403-XL.jpg

Seams check, all looks good!

IMG_1404-XL.jpg

IMG_1405-XL.jpg

Next step is the primer. This actually has been done but not photod them yet. The idea is to get the white painted on, then do the top side, then the underside in black and get the aluminium colour on last of all. I'm hoping if I get the black colour down nice and smooth, an acrylic metal colour will work fine.

More soon!

• Like 7

Thanks!

Ok, this brings us up to date.

Here she is primed with Vallejo Polyurethane Primer. I like this stuff, goes down really smooth provided you're in no rush to sand the model afterwards.

IMG_1417-600x450.jpg

IMG_1418-L.jpg

There were one or two minor areas that needed a rub with a sanding sponge, but other than that, she's ready to go.

The white work is down! Good ol' Tamiya XF-2 (or 1? whatever the white one is!) mixed with Mr Color Levelling Thinners.

IMG_1420-L.jpg

Just wait for that to go off and I can get the brown in the top. I did do a bit of post shading just around the aileron, but didn't like it so went back over with the white.

More soon!

Val

• Like 6

Very quick update, she's been painted with Mr Color RAF Dark Earth.

IMG_1450-L.jpg

Nothing more to report at this time, other than a giant thumb print in the tail which had to be sanded out and repainted...

Green up next, underside, decals and she's nearly done. I will give her a panel line wash. I know these birds were kept clean, the debate of panel line washes will rage on far beyond this thread, but I like to see the detail and brake up the paintwork a bit, a bit of 3d effect!

More soon!

Val

• Like 5