Tamiya 1/48 Raiden.

The Tamiya 1/48 Raiden is an older kit, but for it's age it is superb. It is a very straightforward build and a lot of fun. This is the first Japanese aircraft I have built since I was a teenager ...35yrs ago. I tried the hairspray paint chipping technique on this and an very happy with the results. 

6604b743-757a-4e64-bf23-c1435a530b5c.JPG

a5402e37-8e00-4d4e-91f5-e0f17125f805.JPG

6d37bf74-f80c-4825-b920-d8c03b211704.JPG

6604b743-757a-4e64-bf23-c1435a530b5c.JPG

f399ea56-d32e-4a35-afd3-b4895ddb6cbf.JPG

• Like 22

Hello Noel !

hairspray paint chipping, can you explain a bit pleade, I don't know it !

You did great, I really like the weathering, look absolutely right !

:partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your comments....in answer to the question about the hairspray chipping technique here is how I do it. You can find videos on youtube that will help too. 

First I spray my kit or an area of my kit that I want chipped paint on...usually silver. You can seal it in with future if you wish. 

Second, once the silver is dry, I spray it with a liberal coat of hairspray. Any brand from the shops will do. I have used the same can for about 5 years now....it's good economy.

Third, once the hairspray is dry, I then paint the upper layer. I use Tamiya Acrylic, although other acrylics may work too. I read recently that enamels work too. I would experiment first.

Fouth, once paint is dry (even touch dry) cover the area you want to chip with water. The water soaks through the paint and activates the hairspray.

Finally, using a stiff brush, or a toothpick (cocktail stick) you can scrub and chip away the paint. Take your time...less is more. Once you have chipped the paint to your requirements, varnish to protect the finish. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Noel. 

• Thanks 1

Very nice weathering!  I've always loved Raidens, and this one is top-notch. 

I need to have another go at the hairspray technique.  My first attempt really didn't turn out all that great. This is an inspiring model.

• Like 1