Takom FV432 converted to a FV436 Command Post

Hi guys.

Some great work going on here.My old man was in signals early 60s in Germany.Think i remember him saying the 432s had only just came in when he was in.Think he was H.Q squadron attached to 9/12 lancers.Takom have released 432 in 1.72nd scale along with a Chieftain.Might build the old man one.Will digout some of his photos.I used to live near Carver barracks wimbish so used to seeing Scorps,Sims in my youth from 13/18s etc

Great modelling and very interesting.

Rich.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Guys,

Again not much done to date, just finished the last armoured VHF base.

P1080638

One thing that been worked on is the radio fit, these are 3D printed and pretty much test prints so far.

VRC 321, DMU, TURF25w, SURF  and RCU's, I have the 353 radios that came with the kit.

Clansman fit

Test paint 

VRC 321

More to follow laters chaps 

Dan 

• Like 20

On 08/08/2020 at 16:16, panzerlehr46 said:

Hi guys.

Some great work going on here.My old man was in signals early 60s in Germany.Think i remember him saying the 432s had only just came in when he was in.Think he was H.Q squadron attached to 9/12 lancers.Takom have released 432 in 1.72nd scale along with a Chieftain.Might build the old man one.Will digout some of his photos.I used to live near Carver barracks wimbish so used to seeing Scorps,Sims in my youth from 13/18s etc

Great modelling and very interesting.

Rich.

Pictures are always good Rich, you carry on and post them up mate. 

Cheers Chaps,

Radios and ancills are 3D printed, they have turned out extremely well. I'll be using the 353 radios from the kit as they are pretty good. 

At the moment I've not had much bench time as work is getting in the way, should have another update over the weekend.

Regards

Dan   

• Like 1

Hey Dan, thanks for the advice you gave me on burnishing metal tracks, the 2 part pack of fluid arrived today so I set forth and followed the instructions carefully, however I still managed to screw this simple task up.

I've just managed to melt some metal masterclub tracks while drying them, the burnishing fluid said to dry them with a hair dryer to make sure they was no moisture on them before stage 2, we don't own a hair dryer so I used a heat gun on low and held it about a foot away, one of the kids barreled past and knocked into me, the gun dipped a bit and the heat melted about 20 of the link's together. FML. From now on I think I'll stick to wheeled afv's.

spacer.png

Edited by Fishamatician
Added pic
  • Sad 1

Wow... Fishamatician that's not so good mate. White metal has a lower melting point than most solders depending on the amounts of alloys used

so a heat gun is nothing that I would let near a set of tracks fella, which burnishing fluid did you use as I'm not aware of any that require heat to dry off the tracks mate? 

Been a while since my last up date chaps, so sorry for the delay. I've managed a bit more, this scratch building is taking some time and I'm not rushing this one. 

So I've been working on the welds on the roof around the armoured boxes and I've started on the exhaust guard over the SRBB box. This is to stop the

expensive Ptarmigan 7 Quad cables from melting after a move. Aber mesh and plastic card used to form the guard, lots of angle iron  to add yet so its not finished. 

Both tracks are now on for the first time, not permanently yet but just to check tension and link length. 

P1080650

P1080649

P1080649

P1080648

P1080651 P1080652

Welds were done using Magic Sculpt.

Enjoy

Dan 

• Like 16

Vms Black tracks, it says to use a hair dryer on the bottle, I thought they would be aluminium so thought it would be fine, I now remember the old citadel minis moved from lead to white metal years ago but hadn't heard of white metal since and had forgotten about it.

All is not lost as the bulldog has add on armour that covers the sides so I'll use some fine wire to connect them up where they can't be seen, as it was a l&l kit the wheels are glued so it was never going to roll anyway.

I'm just really annoyed with myself, I should have waited until they were asleep but they were quietly watching a film so thought I had some bonus time.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 7:10 PM, Dads203 said:

Welds were done using Magic Sculpt.

Well that is another tip for the notebook cheers Dan  :popcorn:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps,

Again not much time to do any great plastic bashing this last week or so, the hard drive on my 7 year old PC started to fail 

so I have been busy fixing that up so it lasts a few more months. New SSD drive and a rebuild and I'm back on line again. 

Just been finishing off the the exhaust guard really and getting ready to plan the main cage out on the roof. 

PE mesh at the ready ;)

P1080654

P1080655

P1080656

P1080657

Not much really to report but I'm hoping to get some done this week.

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Wogga said:

Dan why did some 436’s have 2 12m masts mounted? Were they Rebro’s?

The Rebros were standard 432s mate, and they had 4x Clarke 12m masts, two usually bolted onto the hull side, the other two were freestanding just to make it easier to set up quickly. Normally the 436’s used the Racal PU 8m masts with one or two hull mounted. Not a rule but generally how they were issued at unit level when it came to masts. The 8 meter masts could be deployed quicker. 

Im currently away in France on my holibobs so no progress on the build, back tomorrow and straight into quarantine for two weeks so hopefully I’ll make some progress on the build.

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

Talking of masts, I had a couple of Accurate Armour masts lined up for this build, one being a Racal PU 8 but it comes with mounting bracket to high up 

to fit to the hull side. The other mast looks like a 5.4m mast which we didn't use that often.   

I had to scratch one up from tubing and brass with a little green stuff putty for the cover. I think my cover might be too thick so this is just a proof of concept at this stage.

P1080663

P1080664

P1080665

P1080666

P1080667

P1080668

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 14