Takom FV432 converted to a FV436 Command Post

Cheers chaps ,

The wing-nuts are a prototype at the moment, just roughed out and I think I can do better :D 

Still a load to do on the outside yet before I think of the inside so stay tuned 

Cheers

Dan 

So a really small update again, I'm not getting much bench time lately so every minute counts.

I made up the RF filter box that sits next to the back door, its just a box so nothing special, it does feed from the gene socket on the outside 

and carries two heavy duty power cables to the DCCU ( the main switch for all things radio related) The DCCU sits up on the left hand side just behind the 

the commanders position , another scratch build.

The RF filter box is only found on the 436 so anyone building a vanilla 43 wont have to think about it, I'll point out 436 only items as the build progresses 

so anyone building 432 can see what Takom skimped on to detail the APC version.

Removed the padding first up.

P1050690

P1050691

Power out sockets underneath 

P1050692

P1050693

P1050694

Sorry for the small update, hopefully a better one next time :thumbsup:

Regards

Dan 

• Like 8

Again only an hour today, I decided to wire up the back just a bit, 

First up is the brass wire that feeds the number plate and convoy lights on the back door.

for those interested in detailing up the standard 432 kit this is a standard item. I used lead foil 

for the brackets, not a hard job but adds just a little more detail. 

Next up are the two main power cables that run from the Gene box via the RF filer to the DCCU, not glued yet as I have to make the DCCU and the table that 

it sits under.

P1050697

P1050696

P1050695

Things yet for the rear bulkhead are the LSVM ( Loud Speaker Vehicle Mounted ) some trunking and a Crew Box 2 (CB2 - for the intercom so that anyone in the back can hear the driver and commander) 

this again is standard 432 fit and I suspect the LSVM is as well ? 

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 8

The next thing that Takom missed is the HF antenna base collar which extends down 

into the crew compartment, again every 432 has this detail so another small detail  if you are that way inclined.

In the instructions Takom will have the builder add a VHF antenna base to the top of the  tubular mount,

this is totally wrong as the mount is wired and designed only for a HF base only, I'm rivet counting now I know  :o

but the HF Tuning Unit ( TURF) lives below the base on a mounting tray of which I'll scratch later.

So to the kit Clansman bases the bits you actually plug in the whip sections , they are all moulded as VHF items apart from the Bowman bases

which incidentally  you can't really use as they provide no Bowman radios. :o

You can modify the Clansman VHF base to a HF base by cutting off the very bottom part. Dead easy :D I shall show you during the build on what part to remove if you are unsure.

P1050698

P1050699

P1050700

I'll be back later to bore you all some more :thumbsup:

Regards

Dan 

• Like 9

One more Clansman era mod done, It the armoured forward VHF antenna base.  This took a while to 

build, I used the kit coax port which I removed from the upper hull very carefully, Only another two more to make for the rear.

The actual antenna base will need to be modified as its a much later version that we had fitted, the one I've used had a wingnut to clamp 

the whip section.

P1050702

P1050701

P1050703

Cheers for looking in. 

Dan 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

Accurate Armour do a set of Clansman Aerial mounts, but you probably already knew that:

https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-accessories/a189

Cheers Ant,

I've used them in the past and they are not bad, I need to find 6 of them for the 436 but I reckon 

I'll be able to cobble them together. I might even have some of the AA mounts kicking about somewhere.

Dan 

The next armoured box is the SCRA(T)  Single Channel Radio Access (Terminal )  antenna housing, 

this is basically what the boffins developed the GSM mobile phone network from years before the public even heard of 

mobile phones.  It's part of the Ptarmigan secure radio network system and my old wagon carried one. All 436's had the armoured 

box but very few carried the kit. The antenna base unit (BAE:- Base Antenna  Element)  looked more

like a US Army spring loaded unit than the Clansman base unit, it had a 2m whip which 

was slightly thicker than a Clansman whip. 

I've also filled in the shovel bracket holes as they were removed on most 436's, not all of them but 09EA90 had them removed.

P1050705

P1050706

P1050707

I'm going to replace the bolts on the cover, they are a tad to proud so I'll punch some new ones out.

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 4

Nice detail work as always Dan Waiting eagerly awaiting the next instalment

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the like and comments chaps :thumbsup:

So I've replaced the bolts and tidied up the box a bit, welds added and I just have to scratch the actual antenna mount and the coax outlet on the top.

P1050712

P1050711

P1050709

The whip antenna base looks like this 

medium_L2014_4180__0002_

medium_L2014_4180__0001_

And the elevated antenna that bolts on top of a 12m mast, this gets stored on two brackets that sit above the exhaust so again I'll scratch build these.

$_57

Cheers all 

Dan 

• Like 4

On 3/11/2018 at 8:28 AM, spaddad said:

Hi Dan,

you mentioned in your introduction that you still had the Bren, what did you think of it? I loved that gun on the ranges, as accurate as you could want an mg to be, maybe too accurate? The gimpy was pretty good too, just different.

Ehmm gimpy surely you mean GPMG.....say the other word and it was a leopard crawl thro mud to get your kit which had been carefully scattered about by the RM training team ....good old days? Lol

6 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Ehmm gimpy surely you mean GPMG.....say the other word and it was a leopard crawl thro mud to get your kit which had been carefully scattered about by the RM training team ....good old days? Lol

Must be RM thing :D Just stamping their authority on the lesser weapon experienced types, we always called it the Gimpy :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Marines eh, what you gonna do?

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Must be RM thing :D Just stamping their authority on the lesser weapon experienced types, we always called it the Gimpy :thumbsup:

Yea well there where and are lots more of us than them so Gimpy it is!😀

• Like 1

Cheers chaps.

It's been a while since I've been able to do anything on the 43, Mrs Dads has

had me painting rooms, snatched an hour today and scratch built the SCRA(T) whip antenna and

base.

It's close but not perfect, I turned up base on my Dremel, this took a few attempts to get rightish :D

The rest is lead wire, plastic stock, small bore stainless tubing, brass rod and wire insulation. 

I might have another crack at it TBH and see if I can do better.

P1050713

P1050714

P1050717

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 6