1:8 FAB 1 - Thunderbirds Are Go version 'Ultimate Collectors Edition' model - scratch build

What kind of collectors Item is it aiming to be?

- A highly detailed display only model with very accurate details and perfect high quality surfaces does not need a working suspension, but every bit that can be seen under any angle must be detailed.

- A kind of functional model with "play features" like opening doors, hood and bonnet should also have a working suspension and steering. If it can be seen it should be looking like the original, but the functions could be simplyfied.

- A more High quality toy like model should have lots of working features and gimmicks like light and sound. Squishiness is a must, detail could be less. Might even think of an RC-toy, or for model racetracks.

- A model Kit should detail any part, working features I wouldn't expect as a builder, but everything should be detailed, no matter if one sees it after being built.

Maybe this helps a bit.

• Like 2

I think the scenario at the moment is probably along the lines of a model for someone who has the real car, similar to the models Amalgam make for owners of luxury sports cars, so they have a model of their car to display in the office.

In my specific scenario, the model is for someone who has commissioned a car to be built for them.

Imagine if the owner of the Rolls-Royce Sweptail wanted a model making if their car, but instead of Sweptail being the subject matter, it's FAB1, treated as a real car. Why FAB1? No particular reason, just a fun element to throw into the mix.

Made a start on another wheel pattern.

This is another experimental mini project, this time to collect data such as build times, machine setup times, finishing times, production costs etc.

Five wheels in total;

- 3D printed FDM version

- 3D printed SLA version

- 3D printed polyamide version

- CNC milled version

- Hand made version

The 3D printed versions are relatively easy to sort, with varying results in terms of quality. The CNC milled version is probably the most accurate but lacks detail in some areas. The hand made one is what I'd call the 'cleanest' but making the spokes inside the wheel is becoming a right head scratcher.

E7D99C71-EADB-43D4-9988-06567F782D6C_zps78AA73DB-7CBD-475C-930D-4F3296F547A2_zps2B7CCB99-768A-4B89-9C32-5B0FB831D4C0_zpsF8C9C4CB-E009-4EE6-BD88-DD1211C78CB3_zps

• Like 2

Thanks chillidragon.

On one side of things I don't want to spam up the forum, but equally I happy to share the progress and answer questions etc.

Everyone's feedback along the way is very welcome so hopefully people won't be too shy and get involved. Never too old to learn and more than willing to take people's ideas on board.

Well I've hit a slight brick wall today.

It's been 2 weeks and no response from RR, so I've been advised that without permission to use the iconic RR badge and spirit of ecstasy, I should prepare a 'plan B'.

It's a shame in a way as the RR brand is an obvious recognisable indicator of a luxury product.

On the flip side though it might be fun to create a parody.....

Ideas anyone?

How about the twin wheels on the back for extra traction? Tyrell did it.

The grill could be a mesh, rather like a Bentley.

Parts of the clear roof could be painted aluminium. Like an early Meteor.

Call it the Road Racer.

Oh. and a crazy shade of pink with subtle sponsors logo's for the Le Mans 24 hours.....

Perhaps they need the authority from Germany. Remember the only thing 'Rolls Royce' about them is the trademark. That is all they bought. Everything else is BMW. Perhaps you could build a FAB 1 with a beemer grille?

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Perhaps they need the authority from Germany. Remember the only thing 'Rolls Royce' about them is the trademark. That is all they bought. Everything else is BMW. Perhaps you could build a FAB 1 with a beemer grille?

That's actually quite an interesting comment. I've researched Roll-Royce and how it prides itself on, from their point of view, the best in car manufacture.

It's interesting how a manufacturer's image is changed when it's bought by what could be considered a 'foreign power'.

Both Aston Martin and Jaguar, along with Landrover were once Ford owned, and being taken over by the Americans is still considered a tainted part of the companies history. Some would argue though that even if it were a 'bad thing', it was a necessary evil; without Ford's investment, Aston Martin in particular might have disappeared altogether.

You could argue the same for Rolls-Royce; without BMW buying the firm and investing could it have ceased trading as well?

But it's interesting to see how when a company is still based in the UK, with a product made and designed by a British workforce, and marketed and sold as one of the finest British products, suddenly becomes German because it's bought by a German parent company.

It'd be quite interesting to find out how many BMW parts end up in the latest model of Phantom.

It's no secret that car manufacturers share parts, especially ancillary items and switchgear. There's a clip on YouTube of a guy demonstrating how his Aston Martin vantage is built from parts from Volvo, Ford and BMW.

But Rolls-Royce doing the same? 

As for FAB 1 being another make of car, now that's a very tricky. You could argue that there's many makes out there that fit the bill for a limo for Lady P. Primarily the focus would be British marques to mirror the quintessential character of Lady P. Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Lagonda, Jaguar, hell maybe even a wildcard of Morgan. Outside Britain you can look at Maybach, Mercedes, Cadillac....... Chrysler.

Not only was the 2004 Thunderbirds film awful from a cinematic viewpoint, the choice of Chrysler for FAB 1 was absolutely slated.

Brand association is a very strong bond to break. There was hell to pay when James Bond drove a BMW, and applause when the Aston returned.

For some, Lady P has always and should only be seen in a pink, 6 wheeled Rolls-Royce.

• Like 2

Makes confusing reading, just read the wiki page on RR. Think it's a tad unfair to describe the Phantom as a 7 series in a bodykit, but I see your point.

Funny to think the die hard thunderbirds fans would only see FAB 1 as a Rolls-Royce when the traditionalist Rolls-Royce fans wouldn't consider the latest Rolls-Royce as a 'real' Rolls-Royce at all....

AFAIK. They issued some with BMW engines until BMW bought the RR badge. Certainly VW built Bentleys to the original spec. What they do now I don't know. The only RR I would entertain is a 1963 Park Ward Mulliner coupe.

Incidentally, RR could never build an automatic gearbox. From the 'S' series onwards, they were all fitted with a Chrysler Torqueflite auto box, imported direct from the USA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Séan Pádraig said:

What a load of nonsense is being said on this thread.... 

As for the actual modelling.... cracking subject for a build and what a scale to do it in... should be very imposing when complete.

Not entirely sure how to take that.... guess it's a compliment?

without starting a 'heated' debate can you expand a bit on that? Opinions are great but without specifics there's not much I can gain from it.

im assuming you're meaning the views on BMW's ownership of Rolls-Royce are (in your opinion) nonsense, and hopefully not my work? Fingers crossed eh lol

• Like 1