1:8 FAB 1 - Thunderbirds Are Go version 'Ultimate Collectors Edition' model - scratch build

Hi everyone, 

I'm in the planning stages of a scratch built 1:8 scale model of a new concept design of FAB 1 from Thunderbirds the TV show.

I'm studying for an MA (master of arts) in Design - 3d innovation, and the main part of my studies is to explore how people value models that they might commission to be built. Value can take many forms, monetary, sentimental, historical amongst others. But what do people feel gives a model added value? Material choice? Methods used? Limited numbers? Historical provenance?

In order to find out, I'm making a 1:8 scale model of a theoretical design for a new FAB 1, experimenting along the way with different materials and processes to hopefully find what people like and where, if anywhere, a line is drawn to say 'that's enough', be it due to time, money or client specification.

I've started a Facebook group so you can follow progress there, and I'll try to post updates here too.

https://facebook.com/groups/373568053080542

If you'd also like to get involved and join a mailing list of model makers, retailers and collectors who I'm hoping can provide useful feedback along the way, please drop me a pm or let me know on the Facebook group.

cheers!

*update, the model will no longer be a new concept, but a model of the latest version of FAB1 from the ITV show 'Thunderbirds Are Go'. There will be no use of or reference to the Rolls-Royce brand in the model.

Edited by Parker
Project subject revision
  • Like 2

To kick things off on my studies I've been encouraged to do a couple of 'mini projects'.

The first of the two projects was to design and make a theoretical key for the car, as if the car was real. The purpose for this project was to get into the whole design ethos of Rolls-Royce and research into the style they use. The key was designed in CAD then made using a CNC milling machine from a piece of sycamore and aluminium. The black band and screen were laser cut in plastic. The presentation box was made traditionally from sycamore with laser cut/engraved acrylic panels.

The project also has the additional purpose of being a showcase and demonstrating what goes into designing and making something, all the pitfalls and planning needed to negotiate.

1A5EFB2E-154A-452C-BFFE-201EFFE34A36_zps

345D18F0-B737-413D-8DD5-9E6537E8474C_zps

008778D0-E3A6-4A21-B08D-D745AD30BCBF_zps

EA757691-0005-47A8-A9DB-3074F53A29D9_zps

The second of the two mini projects is to build the wheel for the 1:8 scale car. If I remember right, the wheel is about 82mm in diameter. This project is less about the design, and more about production methods.

The aim is to produce a pattern that can have a mould taken from it before the wheels are cast in resin. The wheels need to be chrome so the cast wheels will be sent away for chrome painting, so surface finish is critical.

So far I've made 2 wheels, one 3D printed using FDM technology, the other has been CNC milled.

The purpose for this project is to record and compare all the data of each method. There's 5 methods to compare, and the data will include things like design time, machine set up time, production time, etc etc.

2B7CCB99-768A-4B89-9C32-5B0FB831D4C0_zps

F8C9C4CB-E009-4EE6-BD88-DD1211C78CB3_zps

The build of the car hasn't started just yet as I need to be given approval, after a presentation in May. In preparation though I've built a rig to build the model on, starting with the chassis which will feature suspension and steering.

If anyone has any feedback on what you've seen so far, or questions about the build, please get involved. Feedback and input from anyone is vital for my studies, and I'm not fishing for compliments, if you think something is great, fantastic! But equally if you think something could be better or done differently, please shout out!

Cheers!

• Like 6

Is this part of your master thesis? Or just a project along the way?

There's a lot of research going into production and prototyping methods, therefore there's a wealth of information out there. But nothing beats personal experience.

Looks like you've got a great variety of tools at your hands, and it seems like you know how to use them. So far you show some impressive pictures.

For the key: I'D find it too big and heavy for sure, with those solid materials. I always have my keys in my pocket. This would disturb me.

Are you working with and for RR or is it a topic you chose because you're interested in it?

I'll follow this, as I have always had a high interest in industrial / product design, but ultimately chose the engineering side of things.

5 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Is this part of your master thesis? Or just a project along the way?

There's a lot of research going into production and prototyping methods, therefore there's a wealth of information out there. But nothing beats personal experience.

Looks like you've got a great variety of tools at your hands, and it seems like you know how to use them. So far you show some impressive pictures.

For the key: I'D find it too big and heavy for sure, with those solid materials. I always have my keys in my pocket. This would disturb me.

Are you working with and for RR or is it a topic you chose because you're interested in it?

I'll follow this, as I have always had a high interest in industrial / product design, but ultimately chose the engineering side of things.

Thanks for the feedback!

To address your points, the key fob is more a preparation stage project, the model of FAB 1 will be the main project but lead on to a study across other disciplines away from model making perhaps.

The key fob itself is about 90mm x 50mm so roughly the size of an iPhone 6. It weighs about the same. The reason for this size is to give presence so you know it's there in your pocket, but not too much to be a burden. It also reflects on the car, quite a size but still handles ok and isn't too overpowering. The key's shape is like a pebble and fits nicely in the palm of your hands, it's surprisingly tactile.

As for Rolls-Royce, I am in no way supported or endorsed by them. I chose this subject matter because a) I'm a model maker and b)I'm a bit of a nerd. I was brought up on a healthy diet of airfix and thunderbirds.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

If you have not already done so, I would speak to Rolls Royce about use of their trademarks. Get them on side. When the project is finished, having RRs approval could be beneficial in many ways.

From experience I would be doubtful they would give the ok. I've read an article about a museum called Cars of the Stars, now closed but ex home of the full size FAB 1 made for publicity purposes. The car's owner (and museum proprietor) Peter Nelson said that Rolls-Royce approached him to buy FAB 1 but it eventually transpired that the reason for the offer was not for heritage reasons, but to have the car destroyed. The tale goes that RR gave the ok for their iconic front grille and spirit of ecstasy to be used on the full size car but they went nuts when they saw the finished vehicle, but by then the legal ok was signed and agreed.

RR also declined to support the 2004 film, Thunderbirds although they were originally involved. This was, they say, down to the Phantom VII going through the final design stages before launch.

RR also have no involvement in the relaunched tv series that came out in 2015. Although there is a 'new' FAB 1, and it does bear some similarities to a Rolls-Royce, it features badges with an IR logo (international rescue) and a little rocket instead of a spirit of ecstasy.

So I doubt RR would want to endorse or support my project, and contacting them would only 'stick my head above the parapet' as it were. 

That said, I'm told as all this is for no profit and educational purposes, I should be ok to use logos etc. I'll have to doubt check that one though just to be sure.

Edited by Parker
Predictive text correction

I know of the problem John Dodd had when he built his car with  Merlin engine, and a RR badge, grille and mascot. This is why I said get the nod from RR before you get hit with a law suit. You are not producing a road vehicle, merely a 'concept model'.

Many years ago, GM had something called the 'Vauxhall Craftsman's Guild' which encouraged would be designers to sign up and produce their own designs for future models, incorporating certain features Vauxhall wanted to have. The eventual designs then became the property of GM. Were you to come up with something novel, RR might then be interested.

• Like 1

That's an interesting idea. I think if anything I'd receive a cease and desist order, in which case I'd simply remove all references to RR from my work.

I could double check the legalities and then if it looks like I'm in the clear, contact RR. 

I'd much prefer to be on the right side of things and not have a battle on my hands. 

I would also check with the copyright holder concerning use of the 'Thunderbirds' name.

Sumptuous key, by the way; chunky, yes, but I doubt the owner would be carrying it themselves.

Edited by Chillidragon

20 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I know of the problem John Dodd had when he built his car with  Merlin engine, and a RR badge, grille and mascot. This is why I said get the nod from RR before you get hit with a law suit.

I remember that, but I'm sure I read that the engine came from a tank - therefore a Meteor, not a Merlin as such.

Although it was a RR car with RR engine, I think part of the legal gleeful hand rubbing had to do with the separation of RR's engine and car building interests.

• Like 1

The car division was sold off to Vickers, when RR almost went bust over the initial failures of the RB 211. RR (1971) Ltd was set up to handle the aero engine division, and they brought Sir Stanley Hooker out of retirement to sort out the 211. They tried to make the blades from Carbon Fibre, and they kept failing.

Dodd's engine may have been a Meteor, but it's all semantics. At the end of the day, it's still a PV12.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2018 at 15:03, bentwaters81tfw said:

If you have not already done so, I would speak to Rolls Royce about use of their trademarks. Get them on side. When the project is finished, having RRs approval could be beneficial in many ways.

Well I sought some advice today, and got some mixed views. To cover my backside though I've contacted RR to seek their permission to use their logo. If they say yes then fantastic, if not I'll simply have to remove any reference to RR from my work.

Just now, Chillidragon said:

Have you thought of adding biometrics to your key?  Either a lens assembly (dead mobile phone camera?) to represent a Retina Scanner, a thumbprint pad...  or something to represent a Kirlian Aura scanner?

Yeah the theoretical design is a screen/thumbprint reader and the device operates like a digital assistant, so imagine amazon's Alexa in a keyring. The screen lights up and displays the message 'press and hold for eleanor' with Eleanor being the name of the AI, a design cue taken from RR's recent concept 103ex car which is fully automated and features AI going by the same name. Eleanor is of course a reference to Eleanor Thornton, the muse for the spirit of ecstasy sculpted by Charles Sykes.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, would it be possible to have some opinions regards the matter of suspension?

keeping in mind my model of FAB 1 is meant to be a theoretical commission for a wealthy collector, what would you think is an appropriate approach to the suspension?

you might consider something along the lines of the 3 rough options below;

- no suspension, it's a static model so just a solid mock up of realistic components would be fine 

- have some form of suspension but if it's not visible or easily seen then the design of it isn't important, as long as there's an element of squishiness when some pressure is put on the model then that's acceptable 

- it needs to be working, realistic suspension 

this essentially boils down to what is necessary when considering what's acceptable from the perspective of the model maker and what a client would expect or even demand at this level of luxury.

so guy's n girls, what do you think is the correct way forward?

The original TV models had a metal axle through a piece of foam so were a bit bouncy.

This can be seen in some of the high speed scenes.

Car company concept models were just solid material and were visual aids towards the final product.

I think I'd go for your "element of squishiness" idea though, it would add to the quality of the model

without being too complicated/difficult/expensive to produce.

My car, outside, with it's sculpted snow covering, resembles a wind tunnel model at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1