Tamiya 1/35 Sdkz.250/3 'Greif' w/Eduard etch

I purchased this kit due to a lack of interest in my other projects. I'll be using an Eduard photo-etch set, and a spare Bronco sprue of German equipment in order to further detail the kit. It's all for fun- I deliberately got the older Tamiya kit with etch on Ebay rather than a Dragon kit, because I enjoyed upgrading the 232 I worked on a couple of months ago.

I've made a bit of progress so far, the photo-etch on the rifle rack needs a bit of work, but I enjoyed working with it and am accepting the fun challenge. I won't include it all simply because I don't have a tool to bend some of the smaller parts, but I'm going to make as much as I can. A lot of the interior parts have been left off, since I'll be painting them separately. 

NzAT2Yq.jpg

vdCsDbT.jpg

vB3XR2M.jpg

ZWQ4Og7.jpg

This Tamiya kit from 1979 came with Rommel and his crew, the other figures aren't worth painting imo, but I may paint the general for fun. Painting the leather coat will be the challenge here.

QE3Lagd.jpg

I love how this beast looks. 

s7nYfIM.jpg

OO2kaex.jpg

I'm not sure how well these decals will work, honestly. It shouldn't be a massive issue if they don't, as I have plenty of spare German decals at this point, including some little etch masks for unit markings spare from the 232. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, though, and anyway, I plan on making a European version from a unit of my choice, with relatively few markings.

TIIIBRJ.jpg

The excellent spare Bronco sprue- I'm trying to only replace the Tamiya parts when absolutely necessary, so I have these for a future project.

• Like 4

SU3FeOc.jpg

I've ordered Tamiya's old 'German infantry weapons set' to take some of the machine gun accessories from. Definitely not the best on the market, but the cheapest one, and one that suits my needs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sairou, looking good.

I attempted this one years ago when I lived in the States. Unfortunately due to my commitments it got shelved and then broken....😩. I think I still have some of the Un-used parts somewhere in my boxes. Curious to see the end results. Persevere with the PE, it's worth it in the end. I bend most of my small stuff with a set of Tamiya tweezers, anything longer than an inch a bending tools is preferable. I have used two steel rules in the past, if that helps🤓

Nice work so far mate

S

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Sairou, looking good.

I attempted this one years ago when I lived in the States. Unfortunately due to my commitments it got shelved and then broken....😩. I think I still have some of the Un-used parts somewhere in my boxes. Curious to see the end results. Persevere with the PE, it's worth it in the end. I bend most of my small stuff with a set of Tamiya tweezers, anything longer than an inch a bending tools is preferable. I have used two steel rules in the past, if that helps🤓

Nice work so far mate

S

Thanks Redcoat. I currently get by with a pair of tweezers, but I think I'm going to invest in a bending tool simply for ease of use. I struggle to bend larger and more complex parts.

2 hours ago, Sairou said:

Thanks Redcoat. I currently get by with a pair of tweezers, but I think I'm going to invest in a bending tool simply for ease of use. I struggle to bend larger and more complex parts.

Don't forget to use double sided tape to hold the piece whilst you bend it. Tip helped me no end! Nice little project :-)

• Like 1

BZLDb1l.jpg

Tracks were link-and-length and a little tricky, mainly due to the way the instructions suggested you assemble them. However, for a 1979 kit, they are really good.

QKlEMls.jpg

Almost ready to prime this thing.

• Like 4

8NZpAT3.jpg

Wondering if I might attempt this sort of camo, it seems that the crew have just daubed the vehicle with mud in a rough pattern. Any ideas on how to replicate this? It might be interesting if I can pull this off.

3UWOtkD.jpg

Another pic I've used as a reference. I might be able to procure some headphones for the radio. 

I'm thinking that I will go for a more muddy weathering on this, but nothing excessive. I haven't properly done mud for a while, and I want to try it out.

fMixhiz.jpg

I replaced the kit items with those from the Tamiya set. There is still some work to be done on the gun mount, and clean-up of the machine guns, with so far has been laborious. We really are spoiled with modern kits.

QpXea0C.jpg

Various accessory parts I will be including

• Like 1

There are various mud effects paints from Ammo, AKAN i believe, and i think also Vallejo. Theyre basically different shades of mud colors with a little bit of texture material mixed in to give it the look of mud. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 16:05, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

There are various mud effects paints from Ammo, AKAN i believe, and i think also Vallejo. Theyre basically different shades of mud colors with a little bit of texture material mixed in to give it the look of mud. 

Thank you.

Got this one primed, will try and take some photos soon

• Like 1

TwkZ1ws.jpg

uH9HmLd.jpg

Been painting a few of the accessorises, so far I'm enjoying it. Painting on the main model will have to wait until I receive my shipment of paint later this week.

• Like 1

Hi Sairou, looking good.....I have to be honest, I find the crew gear and stowage one of the hardest to do....for me anyway. I like this tip of leaving the item on the spru, I might try that.

keep up the good work.....:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

X3DoIn9.jpg

Bits and pieces.

23 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Sairou, looking good.....I have to be honest, I find the crew gear and stowage one of the hardest to do....for me anyway. I like this tip of leaving the item on the spru, I might try that.

keep up the good work.....:yes:

Simon.

Thanks Simon. It's definitely something that takes a little work, but it can be very satisfying. I usually leave certain pieces on the sprue so I don't lose them, but it makes a good handle to hold the piece while you paint.

• Like 1

7GaoDsE.jpg

Begun painting today. For the body, I have applied a mix of black and german grey, which will be mottled with german grey, dark grey, and maybe some other tones, to achieve a faded look. However before such nuanced steps I must paint the interior,which will be simply panzer grey highlighted with dark grey, with hairspray chipping on the floor and other points of access.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

kDn6ieN.jpg

ZDjuxhY.jpg

Gave the interior a pin wash, then a coat of matte varnish. Next will be final weathering effects, including some oils for the seats and armrest. 

I'm going to try and find or make a headphones set too and maybe a bit of wiring for the radio,as well as some personal equipment.

Edited by Sairou
  • Like 1

Looks good, it's a cracking little kit, typical Tamiya that goes together very well. I paint my crew gear by figuring out how it's going onto or into the vehicle and then supergluing it to toothpicks using the mounting side to glue onto. A short length of wood with holes drilled in to hold the toothpicks makes it quite clean and simple.

• Like 1

1X1yiGY.jpg

After finishing and sealing the interior, I glued the hull together, then painted the panzer grey, adding some field-applied blotches of dark yellow. I then mounted the tracks and wheels onto the model. At the moment, I am detail-painting. There are still a lot of touch-ups to do around the track and wheels.

• Like 3