Primer Paint

Bolosun

I am using Vallejo's light grey surface primer, to well prime my models using my airbrush. The issue I have is it keeps blocking my airbrush after approx 1/2 a cup. I have tried diluting it with Tamiya thinners 50/50 but still the same. Am I doing something wrong or can someone recommend another thinner I can use with my airbrush. The issue I have with the Tamiya primer from the can, is it stinks the house out.

Cheers Dave

13 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

What's the nozzle size? Is the air pressure ok? Maybe you could add some retarders?

Not sure on nozzle size, will check. Air pressure is fine for normal spraying; 2 bar. Retarders?

Hi Dave,

Retarders slow the paint drying, it's more of a problem with Acylics, as the paint's drying as it leaves the airbrush,

so instead of a nice smooth finish you finish up 'pebble dashing'! or your airbrush clogged up.

There are a number of proprietory brands, but Galleria artists retarder works well, the same as their matt, satin and gloss varnish,

buy from an art shop, and it'll save you a fortune, bigger bottles!

Air pressure, I would say it's too high at 2 bar, try it around 1 - 1.5 bar 15 - 21lb psi.

Check your needle, first make sure it's:-

a.) clean

b.) straight

c.) the right size. Recommended for acyrlics, 0.4mm.

I know that Tamiya paint is a hybrid, but it has fairly small pigment and your using X-20.

If you WANT to change thinners, give Mr.Color self levelling a go.

If all else fails try enamels..............BUT, NOT indoors!! The wife'll have your guts for garters...............:whistle:

Paul

29 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Dave,

Retarders slow the paint drying, it's more of a problem with Acylics, as the paint's drying as it leaves the airbrush,

so instead of a nice smooth finish you finish up 'pebble dashing'! or your airbrush clogged up.

There are a number of proprietory brands, but Galleria artists retarder works well, the same as their matt, satin and gloss varnish,

buy from an art shop, and it'll save you a fortune, bigger bottles!

Air pressure, I would say it's too high at 2 bar, try it around 1 - 1.5 bar 15 - 21lb psi.

Check your needle, first make sure it's:-

a.) clean

b.) straight

c.) the right size. Recommended for acyrlics, 0.4mm.

I know that Tamiya paint is a hybrid, but it has fairly small pigment and your using X-20.

If you WANT to change thinners, give Mr.Color self levelling a go.

If all else fails try enamels..............BUT, NOT indoors!! The wife'll have your guts for garters...............:whistle:

Paul

Cheers for the pointers Paul, I'll give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

On a slightly different subject, how long after applying UMP/Stynylrez primer can I apply the base colour?  I always let the primer sit for ~30s, then hit it with just air to aid the drying/leveling.  Am I safe to apply base colour after an hour, or is the "best to leave it 24 hours" a must?

Edited by planehazza

I've also found the Vallejo primer can be quite prone to tip-dry. A little x20a and some flow-aid + retarder helps.

If you decant the Tamiya primer into a pot, you can shoot it through the airbrush, which results in much less stink as you're not creating such a lot of overspray.

Nozzle size - I'm using Badger Stynylrez at the moment - the instructions state 0.4mm nozzle as a minimum - also that there is no need to thin it.

Well I tried my luck in a 0.35mm nozzle - it kept blocking.  Thinned it out a little, still kept blocking.

Tried it in an old Badger 200 with 0.5mm nozzle and problem solved.  I also thin it a little and seem to have no problems.

Cheers,

Nigel