1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The second time it happened it was a lot funnier.

:rofl2:

...they are most excellent tour guides

Aww, thanks Bill :) 

That is, of course, if he'll have me. Let alone all of you guys!

I vote yes :) One of the memories I'll treasure was your story about English lessons: "I before E except after C? Weird." :D 

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Martin, but Ced is a delight.

Aww, thanks PC :) 

I for one am looking forward to another visit from our friends across the pond, with or without t-shirts :) 

• Like 1

Welcome to the U.K. Bill and glad that your Tube ‘incidents’ ended well. Bonus was meeting Claire Balding who is rapidly reaching the status of National Treasure!

Trevor

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CedB said:

One of the memories I'll treasure was your story about English lessons: "I before E except after C? Weird." :D

What I meant to remember (I saw it on a coffee mug somewhere) was:

I before E - except when your foreign neighbour Keith receives eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty caffeinated weightlifters. Weird. Or something like that. English is my favourite language, even though I don't speak it.

Meanwhile, I've had another go at cleaning up the seams around the re-attached glass-work and the turret hole cover (don't know what else to call it, maybe tonneau cover is a better description). I wasn't quite happy with the first attempt. A bit more primer followed by some yellow, and then those stripes are going on.   :bangin:

My concern at this point relates to the masking tape on the windows. It's been on a long time now, and there will be quite a few coats of paint by the time it's finished. I hope the tape comes off cleanly - I think this is the longest I've ever gone without removing the tape. How about you guys? How long have you left the Kabuki tape on without any difficulties?

Cheers,

Bill (pining for a steak and ale pie with onion gravy)

pies

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Coming along nicely Bill. Of course you and Mr P would be more than welcome over here, Telford meet up and all that. As for Perdu's comment about needing a few more Bills, well I think he has a point. We've got quite a few Bobs already..

• Haha 1

Bill, you could get rid of a lot of those "exceptions" if you use the whole rhyme....

"I before E except after C, or before GH and GN"

There are still plenty of exceptions, but you have a better chance of spelling it right.

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Of course it needs a suitable accompaniment

Right you are! I like the label on the glass, simple and to the point. Plus, big letters so your blurry eyes can make out what you're drinking in case you forget.

WP_20180526_21_53_30_Pro

Some of my new favourites - Swordfish is interesting, being a mix of beer and rum. Never did find any Carrier Ale though:

WP_20180523_16_41_41_Pro

I use an app on my phone to log all the beers and ales I've tried. I managed to try about 25 different types on our trip (some more than once). It's a great excuse for ordering another round. But too much, and this happens:

WP_20180522_20_25_12_Pro

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

28 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I use an app on my phone to log all the beers and ales I've tried. I managed to try about 25 different types on our trip (some more than once). It's a great excuse for ordering another round. 

wouldn't be untappd by any chance? That's the one I use!

6X is always a good bet. I find it infuriating over here in the US that all the small brewers seem to think it necessary to make their beer ridiculously strong, ie mostly over 6%! 4 to 5 is fine, then I can have a few!

Ian

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

wouldn't be untappd by any chance? That's the one I use!

6X is always a good bet. I find it infuriating over here in the US that all the small brewers seem to think it necessary to make their beer ridiculously strong, ie mostly over 6%! 4 to 5 is fine, then I can have a few!

Ian

Untappd it be.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Bill, you could get rid of a lot of those "exceptions" if you use the whole rhyme....

"I before E except after C, or before GH and GN"

...and then we have the usage of 'there' and 'their'.

• Like 1

Looks like you should have applied for asylum in the real ale capital of the world like I suggested! Then you could have taken up my offer of that pub crawl, I mean, you would have had me to look after you, Mrs Bill would have peace of mind that you were not getting into any trouble so what could possibly go wrong? :drink:

Martian of the Cunning Plan 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Looks like you should have applied for asylum in the real ale capital of the world like I suggested! Then you could have taken up my offer of that pub crawl, I mean, you would have had me to look after you, Mrs Bill would have peace of mind that you were not getting into any trouble so what could possibly go wrong? :drink:

Martian of the Cunning Plan 👽

Somewhere I still have my CAMRA guidebook from a visit back in the 80s...I picked it up at a pub called "The Case Is Altered" near Birmingham, I think. The pub had an aircraft propeller mounted on the wall inside, but I don't know where it came from. The sign had a bunch of solicitors in wigs. Anyway, I recall the bitter was gravity fed from a wooden cask. Is this place still around?

Yes, I'm sure that wifey would have no qualms about me partaking in a pub crawl with a Martian. No qualms at all! We've been married for 43 years, so she's probably seen worse. No, wait...she HAS seen worse.

Back to sanding. I decided that one of the seams on the nose needed to be improved. Sometimes I wish my eyesight wasn't so good, and/or I wasn't so picky.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Re the pub, is this it? It’s in Warwick, which is vaguely west ish of Birmingham. Strangely nothing on Trip Advisor and it doesn’t have its own web site....

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/case-is-altered-five-ways/55233/

Trevor

I do believe that is the one. Looks like they've changed their sign, though. I remember lawyers with wigs.

Cheers,

Bill

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

she's probably seen worse. No, wait...she HAS seen worse.

And I have to go to bed with that image circulating in my mind! Nightmaresville here I come!

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All right, on to those stripes.

I made some measurements on the instruction sheet that came with the stickers, and it looks like the stripes on the wings are at an angle of 50 degrees from the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. On the side of the fuselage, they're 30 degrees from vertical. Xtradecal say that the stripes were 14 inches wide, which works out to roughly 5mm in 1:72 scale. I scaled their drawing, and that's what it shows. What the drawing also shows is that the area between the stripes is slightly larger, and it works out to be about 5.7mm in 1:72 scale. This is the area that needs to be masked.

Now, Tamiya Kabuki tape is 6mm wide. Can you see where my unsound mind is going? I'm going to cheat. I'm going to use the tape as it comes off the roll, even though it will result in the area between the stripes being 0.3mm too wide.

Shoot me.  :shocked:

I have no idea if the numbers and drawings from Xtradecal are correct, as I don't have any photos of this aircraft. I'm going to assume they're right, which I wouldn't do with, say, Model Alliance who got the stripes completely wrong on the Sea Vixen target tug.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1