1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

Yowza. Now there's a scheme that'll make your eyes water!

Its almost like one of the erks in the paintshop had seen a book on WW1 dazzle camouflage and decided he hadn't been spending enough time on a fizzer.

You don't have to be a madman to take such a scheme on, but I'd say it probably would help! :blink:

• Like 1

Did someone say yellow?    :)

IMG_2124

IMG_2126

We got yellow!

We'll let this cure for a bit before I go crazy with the Kabuki tape. No, wait, I'm already crazy according to you blokes. So let me tell you about this yellow - you may recall that I intended to use Testors Model Master RAF Trainer Yellow. That was until I opened the bottle and stirred it up. Now I'm not entirely sure, but I don't have any photos of RAF (or in this case RCAF) training aircraft or target tugs where the yellow has the sickly brown-green tinge to it. And this wasn't an old bottle of paint either, I just bought it and it wasn't dusty, so I don't think it was sitting in the rack at my LHS for eons. But then, Testors has always been my go-to "Paint That Never Fails To Disappoint."

I'm working on the landing gear and wheels/tyres now as I'd like to get her standing up.

I have a question for the Annie subject matter experts - should the side walls of the turret opening be interior grey green or yellow? I sprayed them yellow, but afterwards thought that perhaps they should be the interior colour. But thinking has not been my forte lately, so I figured I'd better ask.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 20

Yes Bill, that is quite...yellow.

Tumeric in fact! 😄

As to the turret walls, I'd always err on 'anything inside is an inside colour' unless evidence too the contrary.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Navy Bird said:

Wow, it's been a bit since I last updated this thread!

Sorry about that, but I had an unexpected delay. It seems that two-year old boys, who gaze into my display case chanting "Plane!" all the time, also like to fondle these objects, especially when their grandfather leaves one in a location they can reach. Let's just say that Annie can fly! And, thanks to Mr. Newton, she can also land. As is sometimes the case with these landings, the plane exceeds its design limits and there you go. Thankfully, the pilot was not injured and the aircraft did not need to be stricken from the fleet. Just a little trip to the maintenance depot...

After she came out of the hangar, it was time to give her some nice shiny new paint. I've chosen the following scheme because:

1. I really like the looks of target tugs and trainers   -or-
  2. I'm insane

Which is it, I wonder?

scheme1

scheme2

Accordingly, she's in the process of getting a coat of white primer to serve as a nice base for the yellow. I'm going to use Testors Model Master RAF Trainer Yellow as that seems to be the right shade.

I'm thinking I might have to stock up on Kabuki tape...

Cheers,

Bill

Nice! I always like Canadian content, especially something from so close to my birthplace. Moncton is about a 3 hour drive from where I grew up in Nova Scotia.

That's gonna be really bright.

Chris

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Moncton is about a 3 hour drive from where I grew up in Nova Scotia.

Practically next door in Canadian terms.  

Nice Avro Canary you have there, Bill.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Practically next door in Canadian terms.  

Nice Avro Canary you have there, Bill.

Yep, especially compared to where I am now. It's a 2 hour drive south just to get out of the woods. It's another 3+ hour drive to get to the first hobby shop.

Chris

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

So let me tell you about this yellow - you may recall that I intended to use Testors Model Master RAF Trainer Yellow. That was until I opened the bottle and stirred it up. Now I'm not entirely sure, but I don't have any photos of RAF (or in this case RCAF) training aircraft or target tugs where the yellow has the sickly brown-green tinge to it. And this wasn't an old bottle of paint either, I just bought it and it wasn't dusty, so I don't think it was sitting in the rack at my LHS for eons.

So Bill, you only told us half the story about the yellow - if it wasn't the Testors sickly brown-green tinged one, what paint did you use? Enquiring minds need to know!! :winkgrin:

Whatever it was you've got your usualsuper smooth paint job with it!

Keith

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

So Bill, you only told us half the story about the yellow - if it wasn't the Testors sickly brown-green tinged one, what paint did you use? Enquiring minds need to know!! :winkgrin:

I melted down some Crayola crayons and applied with a spatula.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Or was it Gunze H329? I can't remember.

• Haha 11

I would be inclined to go along with The Baron's rule of thumb about the interior colour.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Another question (or two) - look to the center of the red circle:

wassat

What is it? And is it applicable to my RCAF Mk.I W2531 of No. 8 Service Flying Training School in 1941? Special Hobby provide this as a resin part.

Cheers,

Bill

... and me, very smooth. :)

I know what you mean about the 'dirty yellow' Bill - looking at my ceiling I've been using Humbrol 24 'Trainer Yellow' but that's impossible to spray unless you decant from a spray can... and then it clogs your airbrush. I'm sure you'll weather it down beautifully :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Nice! I always like Canadian content, especially something from so close to my birthplace. Moncton is about a 3 hour drive from where I grew up in Nova Scotia.

That's gonna be really bright.

Chris

I've done one in the stripey scheme. Great fun to do!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

wassat

What is it? And is it applicable to my RCAF Mk.I W2531 of No. 8 Service Flying Training School in 1941? Special Hobby provide this as a resin part.

Cheers,

Bill

That dooberry on your Awesome Annie might be a cover or chamber over one of the altitude or speed sensing implements on the dash Bill, but that is simple surmise

Looking ( with a slightly skeptical eye) at the drawing of Annie The Wasp it seems to have it drawn on the nose

Go on, stick it on

How could it hurt if the kit supplies it anyway

39974960580_fec64a94c4_b.jpg&key=2b26f1a

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

wassat

Cheers,

Bill

This is the first thing I found on-line. It's of not great quality, but better than a boot to the man-vegetables. It says it's an air temperature thermometer.

40060610080_8553ec446c_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I have a question for the Annie subject matter experts - should the side walls of the turret opening be interior grey green or yellow? I sprayed them yellow, but afterwards thought that perhaps they should be the interior colour. But thinking has not been my forte lately, so I figured I'd better ask.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Looking at the decal sheet instructions you don’t need to worry; your subject appears to have been turretless with the turret well plated or boarded over.  I remember trying to do this on an Airfix Anson using nowt but 10-thou sheet and appallingly industrial quantities of liquid poly and bad language.  Hindsight suggests that the Alan W Hall approach of balsa, dope, talcum powder and sandpaper would have reduced these significantly.

I wish I had your skills when it comes to transparency masking: even using pre-cut masks my fat fingers usually result in having to do it the hard way anyway.

• Like 1

Hmm, I've painted myself into a corner on this one. When I started building the fuselage, my plan was to do one of the markings that came with the box, and they all have the turret. Then, I saw these interesting RCAF markings with DG/DE on top, silver on the bottom, and rectangles of trainer yellow on top of the wings and the spine (I think Tony O'T even posted a photo of that one). It also had the turret.

So I went out and bought the decal sheet, and discovered it also included a cool striped plane. I decided to do that one, because, as you all admitted, I'm insane. To back that up with action, I forgot that it doesn't have the turret. Oh boy.

So I can either find another scheme that uses a lot of yellow and has a turret, or I can cut out the section of fuselage where the turret goes, and replace it with the section with no turret (Special Hobby provide this in the kit).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Oooops.... I vote for the replacement because:

a) it's going to be totally educational (for me at least)

b) you are admittedly insane, so ... 🤷‍♂️ :lol:

Ciao

• Like 1