1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

0.3 mm in 1/72, that's 20 mm, or 4/5", in full scale. Negligible in this case.

• Like 1

Yeah, the 0.3mm is negligible - if it only happened in one spot. But this is the error on one stripe, and there are eight stripes along the length of the fuselage. The cumulative error is then 8 x 0.3 or 2.4mm. That works out to almost 7 inches in real life. Not so negligible. What I've done is some slight "tweaking" of the placement and angle of the stripes to make sure that the overall length is maintained. This was pretty easy to do, and I can't imagine anyone would notice. And if they do, well, they can go talk to your Uncle Bob. 

I knew math would come in handy some day. Good old Euclid.  :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Arghh...something is rattling inside. It's can't be a big part, as it's a quiet rattle. Oh well, I'll treat it as a present, and anxiously await unwrapping it.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Arghh...something is rattling inside. It's can't be a big part, as it's a quiet rattle. Oh well, I'll treat it as a present, and anxiously await unwrapping it.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

I have a half finished 1/144 Boeing 737 that does that. Its all painted up and almost ready for decals, but the rattle is really annoying!

Terry

• Like 1

All right then, let's get up to date with some recent photos. First, after fixing the mistake with the turret, and repainting:

IMG_2392

Yellow Submarine indeed. Next, after a significant amount of Tamiya tape applied we find this - which was fun actually. No, really, it was fun. I mean it. I'm not kidding.

IMG_2394

IMG_2395

And this, of course, brings us to our next problem. Normally, I would shoot some Testors Flat Black in a case like this. Upon opening the bottle, however, I found what was once enamel hobby paint was now a gelatinous mess of ook. Which happens with pretty much every bottle of Testors approximately 3-4 months after it's been opened. So that went in the bin.

I looked around, and found a bottle of Gunze H12 Flat Black. I opened that and found air. It was empty. Why did I keep the bottle? I'm getting old...

Going through the rest of my paint inventory, the only black I found (flat or shiny) was a bottle of Gunze N12 Acrysion Flat Black. I have no clue where I got this, nor when. I wasn't familiar with it, so I went on-line and apparently it's a line of aqueous acrylic paints from GSI Creos that are supposed to be a bit more friendly (i.e. less toxic, etc.). Or so the Internet said, and we're never known them to be wrong, right? So I mixed some up and sprayed it.

It didn't spray at all like "normal" Gunze, as it kept clogging the tip. Nevertheless, I was able to complete the painting of the black stripes. After a couple of hours, I noticed those lovely little acrylic paint cracks in a couple of areas. Not too bad, but present. In the past, I've always thought these cracks appeared when the paint underneath hasn't cured completely when you spray over them. (Never had this happen with enamels, only acrylics and then usually Tamiya). The yellow underneath went on several days ago, except for the replacement tonneau cover area, and the cracks didn't appear there. Hmm.

I'll let this all cure for a while and see what happens. I hope the cracks don't spread further as it will be a tricky repair job. This model just doesn't want to be built.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Lots of touch-up to do, but I think we got the basics...

IMG_2398

IMG_2399

IMG_2400

A wee bit of filler pulled out by the bottom of the windscreen (port side), but that shouldn't be a problem. I expected I would need to touch up the edges, especially around the nacelles, wing roots, etc. I just noticed that the bulges at the rear of the wing root are shown in yellow in the instructions. I wish I had noticed that earlier, as they were separate pieces and I could have left them off until after the stripes went on. See, you are supposed to read the instructions first!    :)

Cheers,

Bill (whose eyesight is already going goofy looking at all those stripes)

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I have a half finished 1/144 Boeing 737 that does that. Its all painted up and almost ready for decals, but the rattle is really annoying!

Terry

Simples

Do not shake it

You too Bill, tiptoe over the bridge so you dont wake the Trolls

Yellow, no wonder it is the quarantine flag color (US Spelling for our guest)

It is, isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1 June 2018 at 7:13 PM, Navy Bird said:

I do believe that is the one. Looks like they've changed their sign, though. I remember lawyers with wigs.

Cheers,

Bill

Just a little way from my front door! I'll add it to my 'must visit' list!

Edge

• Like 2

Its looking wonderful Bill but what's all this extremist nonsense about reading instructions?

Shocked of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

That is a most handsome dazzle ship of the air Bill - an Op art Anson no less! 

MoMA needs to acquire that for a grateful nation....

Wonderful work.

• Like 1

Smart!  

I thought of doing the same method on mine but worried about paint seeping under the masking. So I opted to sue black decal striping of varying widths and filled in with brush painted black. Same result!

• Like 1

On 03/06/2018 at 16:30, perdu said:

Do not shake it

I hadn't thought of that. I'm so curious I keep listening to the rattle to see if I can guess what it is. Right now, it's a toss between the jump seat and the fire extinguisher.

On 03/06/2018 at 17:52, Edge said:

Just a little way from my front door! I'll add it to my 'must visit' list!

Yes, please do and see if they still have a propeller on the wall. If they do, find out where it came from. Curious modellers want to know!   :)

On 03/06/2018 at 18:00, CedB said:

Great masking Bill. Stripey, very stripey... good job :) 

Is that what 007 would say if he had a look at it? Maybe he could go through the files at MI6 and find some photos of this particular aircraft. I never was able to find any.

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Its looking wonderful Bill but what's all this extremist nonsense about reading instructions?

It is a rather conformist attitude, isn't it? On second thought, blast it all. If I read the instructions, then I won't have these lovely little escapades.

15 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Nice paintjob so far... 

luckily my father doesn't see this one near his potato-field, or he might slash it whilst thinking it is a Colorado-bug...

I had to look that one up as I've never been a potato farmer. Or a farmer of any kind for that matter. No dirt under my nails, just Mr. Hobby Color.

14 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

It's looking very wasp-like - it seems to sting as well. You are doing a great job!

Sting is right - and more than once! It does kind of look like a wasp...or a potato bug...or something I saw on a train once...

13 hours ago, Paul J said:

I thought of doing the same method on mine but worried about paint seeping under the masking. So I opted to sue black decal striping of varying widths and filled in with brush painted black. Same result!

You know, I wondered if you had used transfers when I first looked at your model. That must have been a royal pain, too. Surprisingly, there wasn't too much seepage - just in a couple of places. Masking took forever, and it would have been worse if I didn't "cheat."

Thanks mates! I appreciate the compliments. Now I'm off to get the lady standing up and add some stickers. Oh, I suppose the engines might be a good idea too.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 2