1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

Wow, that will definitely not disappear among the masses in the cabinet! Looking spectacular, I'm looking forward to the next update.

Ian

• Like 1

13 hours ago, waylandsmithy said:

It looks great! One minor detail though: in service, the real thing had six landing gear and a separate thorax.

True, but this one is only half a bee.

Apologies to Monty Python. Not.  :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Finally, the great reveal - the Kabuki tape that's been covering up the clear bits for the last decade has come off! As it turns out, and as @Martian Hale promised, there was no difficulty in removing the tape. I was concerned since there are quite a few layers of paint on the old gal, plus both gloss and matt clear varnishes. What really had me worried, though, was the possibility that the canopy might pop off again. As you may recall it had a tendency to do that in a prior stage of this build. But the tape came off with little force, and the edges look pretty clean. Although there was quite a mess with the paint flaking off of the tape as it was being peeled away!  

IMG_2412

IMG_2409

It requires some effort, but you can still see most of the work I did inside the cabin. It appears the "rattle" is due to the front jump seat coming off, but I can't seem to see it inside. I can hear it, and I can see that it's no longer where I remember leaving it, but other than that it's invisible.

One of the engines required a good bit of paint and resin removed in order to slide into the cowlings. No doubt due to the exacting assembly tolerances achieved here in Navy Birdland - or perhaps too generous a coat or three of paint slopped onto the mating parts.

I have time for a bit more work before my next holiday - on Saturday we leave for a week at the beach house in Delaware. I know, I just got back from London but really, what's to keep a man in Rochester NY? Did I tell you guys about my next overseas trip? In April of 2019, my youngest daughter and I are going to Egypt for two weeks. You can read about the archaeological tour here if you're interested. This has been on our bucket lists forever, so I'm really glad that I'll be able to do this with my daughter.  :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Think the gun would have been fitted to a trainer? I hope so, as I have no clue what else to put there. Surely the trainees needed gunnery practice.

• Like 20

Beautiful Bill - that canopy framing is a work of art... lovely crinkly tiny bits and not a sign of excess paint.

Great job :) 

• Like 1

The glazing turned out just marvellous! :worthy:

Which is just as good, since it shows the great interior job you did previously 👏

Ciao

• Like 1

Well, now that I'm in the home stretch, I finally found what must be the only photo in existence of W2531 - my Annie. For completeness, here it is.

W2531

At first glance I thought the rudder was a different colour, but upon closer inspection I believe it's just turned so it's lit by the sun. (Notice the tail wheel - the aircraft executed a turn prior to parking.) The stripes here are a bit different than the model, but trust me - I don't care at this point. The accompanying text says that the stripes on the wings are "speculative." Ugh.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

That really is spectacular. I've never been a fan of target tugs, but this really is gorgeous!

I'm sure you'll love Egypt. I spent 5 weeks backpacking there in 1987 and had a great time. The tombs of the noblemen in Luxor are rarely visited, I believe we had to get a special permit, worth seeing if you can. One very worth while and rarely made trip is to Siwa Oasis. If you get a chance to divert out there, do it!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

This is looking very good indeed Bill. At least you know what's causing the rattle now. I'll never get to the bottom of the rattle inside my 1/144 737 as no clear plastic left to peer inside!

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit here, a little bit there. Eventually I might actually finish this thing. The engines went on, along with some very subtle pastel weathering (which unfortunately doesn't photograph well, but shows up nicely using human vision).

IMG_2413

IMG_2414

IMG_2417

Next I added the oil coolers (nice resin casting by Special Hobby), the engine cowlings, exhausts, temperature sensor, gun barrel, and the landing lights (after remembering to paint the area grey-green first).

IMG_2420

Not much left...props, aerial mast, loop antenna, under-nose pitot, landing light lens, aerial wire, tailplane wire braces, paint the navigation lights, etc.

IMG_2421

And, lastly, some very fiddly looking photoetch for the trim tab and rudder actuators. In addition Special Hobby provide photoetch for some very small items that I think are aileron hinges - three of them for each wing. The instructions are a bit confusing, as Special Hobby use part number PP20 for all six parts. Of course, there are only four PP20 parts on the photoetch fret. A closer looks reveals that there are four identical parts labelled PP13. I suspect that PP20 is used for one wing, and PP13 for the other with Special Hobby giving you a spare part for each wing in case of inadvertent ether zinging.

It's unfortunate that the photoetch propeller hub faces are slightly larger than the hub itself, as you can easily see in the photo. The magnification of the photo makes it look much worse than it actually is, but you have to wonder. Is it really that difficult to make them the same size?   :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 20

You've just passed third base at full speed. Home plate is clearly in sight, so don't loose your step now. We'll all be cheering when you score!

• Like 1

Pastel weathering looks very effective on this bird, especially comparing your last pics with the ones in post #280 :worthy: :clap:

Looking forward to the completion :popcorn: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Progressing very nicely! Looks great! :)

Looking forward to seeing it finished! :)

Håkan

• Like 1