1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

That is looking impressively good Bill. I'm so pleased you're doing this, it's making it easy to talk my way out of planning anything similar. I think D-day stripes will be about my limit 'cause a/ they were scruffy anyway & b/ 6mm Tamiya tape is near enough for them too. :D

Steve.

• Like 3

Wow. That’s an impressive paint job! 

Just a thought though, will you be giving the roundels a white base to prevent the black from showing through the white rings?

Trevor 

• Like 1

Using decals the way I did may be 'cheating' but produces a nice sharp edge and looks good. I use stripe decals a lot for various purposes.   Yours should look the biz when done... with the engines on even better;)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Just a thought though, will you be giving the roundels a white base to prevent the black from showing through the white rings?

That's the plan, I've learned that one the hard way.

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

Using decals the way I did may be 'cheating' but produces a nice sharp edge and looks good. I use stripe decals a lot for various purposes.   Yours should look the biz when done... with the engines on even better;)

Decals aren't cheating. What made me want to paint the stripes was the lack of sufficient decal stripes in my box of misfit stickers. Oddly enough, I had plenty of yellow stripes of the correct width (why?) but I thought they might not show up well on the yellow fuselage.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Re the roundels If you are going to use the kit decals they should be OK and no black will show through. I say that because on mine they were fine. Re the stripes I do believe you would be right if using yellow on black.... not too promising a result me thinks.  Also I use lots of dine silver black or white for canopy framing where appropriate save s a lot of masking.

Keep up the good work on your 'Annie'. Sure to be great to see in RFI

• Like 1

That is one of the neatest masking jobs I had ever seen - a bit migraine inducing for me but that may even out once all the decals are on - very nice

CJP

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul J said:

Re the roundels If you are going to use the kit decals they should be OK and no black will show through. I say that because on mine they were fine. Re the stripes I do believe you would be right if using yellow on black.... not too promising a result me thinks.  Also I use lots of dine silver black or white for canopy framing where appropriate save s a lot of masking.

Keep up the good work on your 'Annie'. Sure to be great to see in RFI

I won't be using the kit decals, I'll be using the Xtradecal sheet. The sheet that came with this version of the kit doesn't have the right size and quantity of roundels with yellow borders (for the fuselage size and tops of the wings). To be on the safe side, I'm hunting over at the Island of Misfit Stickers to find some white circles that are the right size. I think I'd rather use stickers instead of painting them on. But one never knows...

Cheers,

Bill, who neglected Annie the last few days so he could play with his Black Bullet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I won't be using the kit decals, I'll be using the Xtradecal sheet. The sheet that came with this version of the kit doesn't have the right size and quantity of roundels with yellow borders (for the fuselage size and tops of the wings). To be on the safe side, I'm hunting over at the Island of Misfit Stickers to find some white circles that are the right size. I think I'd rather use stickers instead of painting them on. But one never knows...

Cheers,

Bill, who neglected Annie the last few days so he could play with his Black Bullet.

Ah! Thats what I meant as the Xtradecals are what I used.

• Like 1

How weathered do you think this aircraft might have been? It's an RCAF trainer based in New Brunswick in 1941. Codes are W2531, just in case the service history can be traced. Did Avro build these in Canada?

Cheers,

Bill

Some details of the service history of W2531 are listed here:

http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_6750_6799_detailed.htm

I'm not sure when it assumed its 4-digit RCAF identity.  I'd have thought it was when taken on charge but it seems still to have had its RAF serial a year after that.

Edited by RJP
grammar
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link to the service history. Did I read that correctly, she may have had RAF service prior to RCAF? Or, since it was built in the UK perhaps it had to be first delivered to the RAF prior to its transfer to Canada? In any event, in 1941 she most likely was in pretty good shape.

Whilst @Paul J may have had good luck with the Xtradecal sheet's opacity, I didn't. The black/yellow demarcation was clearly visible through the white portion of the roundel. However, the Island of Misfit Stickers saved the day, as I found roundels of the same type and size (sans the outer yellow ring) and stacked them. Even still, if you look really close enough, squint your eyes, and use your averted imagination, you can just make out the demarcation. But since I can't do any of that because I'm so old, it's OK with me!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I know this has all the pace of a snail sprinting through 90 weight gear oil, but we are making progress. The stickers are on, and I've applied a varnish over everything. I decided not to do a panel wash, and whatever weathering gets done with most likely be with pastels. So here she is.

IMG_2406

IMG_2405

You may notice that she's up on her legs, and she's sprouted a pitot or some kind of sensor on the rudder. I had forgotten all about that! Luckily, I remembered in time and a little PPP (thanks @Martian Hale) blended it in nicely.

The engines and cowlings are ready to go on next. There's not a lot left - a loop antenna, the forward aerial mast, the aerial wire, an under-the-nose pitot, the props...and I've got to finish the landing light on the port wing. Some other details here and there, plus some weathering. So only about 50% of the job is left.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 24