1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

Sometimes the piper pays you.   :)

IMG_2127

A few small paint chips on top, but otherwise the cuts were successful. I think I was right on top of the original seams, and a few swipes with the saw weakened the bond and it popped off. The part for the turret-less version seems to fit reasonably well, so I think we just have some seam filling and repainting to do.

IMG_2129

The fun part will be getting the subtle representation of the canvas over the structural ribs to line up. But I think we'll be OK.

It could have been a lot worse! Oh course, it's not finished yet.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 20

Well done Bill! Lets face it, you were never going to get away with not doing the stripy one once you had shown it to the Herberts that hang out on this forum. We were never going to let you get away with it and deep down, I suspect you didn't want us to let you.

Philosophical of Mars 👽 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

It could have been a lot worse! Oh course, it's not finished yet.   :)

You managed it brilliantly so far, no doubts you'll keep on like that :)

Ciao

• Like 1

On 04/05/2018 at 23:24, cngaero said:

Paul, both of your Ansons are beauties, but the striped Anson is a real eye catcher.

They are most certainly inspirational models.

I have a soft spot for RAF/Commonwealth training aircraft, so these two are now duly placed on my to do list.

Thanks for showing them.

Thanks Chris... but one of those 'Ansons' is actually an Oxford...!

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Thanks Chris... but one of those 'Ansons' is actually an Oxford...!

You're quite right Paul, that was my stupid mistake, I should have gone to Specsavers!!!

However, in my defence, I was dazzled by the stripey Anson 😄.

They're both still lovely models though.

• Like 1

And then there are times when you pay the piper...

I was just about finished blending in the new fuselage piece when I managed to pop off the canopy. I guess I was holding it just a bit too tightly.  Looking on the bright side of things, I at least had another opportunity to view all that cool framework inside. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.    :)

The canopy is back on and I've begun the work to re-blend it into the fuselage. I leave for the UK this Friday, and I have quite a lot of other silly stuff to get done before then. I don't know how much modelling I'll get done. But we shall try!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. At the exact moment the canopy popped off, a previously unknown string of obscenities issued forth. I have no idea where they came from, as I'd never heard them before.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2

The sad face was for the canopy popping off, not your trip to the UK.

PS. As I type this, whilst drinking a cup of tea in the garden, a Hurricane and Spitfire are flying overhead in formation with what looks like a de Havilland Dove.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Beard said:

PS. As I type this, whilst drinking a cup of tea in the garden, a Hurricane and Spitfire are flying overhead in formation with what looks like a de Havilland Dove.

Nice! I'm in a flight path too and have Chinooks pass over pretty much every day. Oh, and those stupid grackles that dive bomb their droppings all over my car. I'd really love to see those on the extinct list.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

those stupid grackles that dive bomb their droppings all over my car.

You wanna try Herring Gulls. I'll let you imagine how much poo a bird with a 5 foot wingspan can create.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I have been kind to a breeding pair of incontinent American robins (I kid you not, turdus migratorius) and did not evict them last year when they bombed my black car and nested on my bathroom window sill.  I even put up with the editorials from the male who thought I was a danger.  My young granddaughter is fascinated. 

They are back this year and are nesting on a ladder I have stored on the back wall of the house.  The chicks are hatched now and I expect to have two more clutches (litters?) of grandbirds in coming weeks.

Edited by RJP
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The laugh was for the PS Bill, not your removal of the canopy....!!

Keith

Same here :)

Ciao

• Like 1

Two weeks ago a pair of pigeons got the stupid idea of trying to build a nest on the top edge of my open balcony door. Some birds are plain stupid! Despite my discouraging efforts they persisted for several days before they finally abandoned the project. Afterwards I had to remove a large amount of twigs from the door, and a lot that had fallen down, both on the balcony and on the floor just inside the door. To be fair, I had some help in scaring them away since both my cat and dog like to spend time on the balcony. The cat was rather p*ssed off because those bl**y birds always sat too high for her to catch.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2018 at 7:03 AM, Navy Bird said:

... a previously unknown string of obscenities issued forth. I have no idea where they came from...

The carpet monster?

It was probably upset that a bit of model popped off but it failed to get a decent feed from it.

Lovely work so far and this aircraft is certainly getting an exciting life. Built, flown, crashed, rebuilt, modified... Just like a real aircraft!:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

a previously unknown string of obscenities issued forth. I have no idea where they came from, as I'd never heard them before.

I could help you identify them, being a former Sailor I've heard (and used) quite a few of the more creative ones 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thanks guys. The obscenities have been put back in their box, but I didn't seal it. I figured they might come in handy for my Javelin kitbash project.

Now, about those birds. Ever since they've been reclassified as dinosaurs, I try to keep my distance and not upset them. You never know what kind of memories might be encoded in their genes. My grandson, when he's not flying my Anson, likes his dinosaurs, so I tried explaining the whole avian and non-avian dinosaur thing. I only succeeded in making him deathly scared of birds. He calls the big crows "T-Rex." Uh, my mistake.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Timely Tips for Tube Travelling in Dear Old Blighty:

Be careful to always ensure that you and your spouse are on the same side of the door when the train leaves the station, else one of you is stranded on the platform staring at the train as it disappears into the dark. Oh, and mind the gap.

The story has a happy ending, as BBC sportscaster Clare Balding was on the train with my wife and helped her get back to the station by our hotel. Nice lady. Wifey had to wait at the station for me since she remembered that she had both of our Oyster cards, and I needed mine to get through the turnstile.

The second time it happened it was a lot funnier.    :)

@CedB and @Martian Hale met up with me at the RAF Museum, which was a really good thing as they are most excellent tour guides. They know a lot more about the exhibits than I do! Thanks, mates! The obligatory visit to Hannants resulted in only one addition to the stash at Navy Birdland, that being the new AZ Curtiss Hawk 75C1 kit with markings for Czech aces during the Battle of France. Due to my recent preference for unusual schemes with lots of stripes, @Martian Hale suggests Vichy markings. I think he may have a point! This brings my stash of Hawk 75 kits up to four - two from AML, this new AZ kit, and the Special Hobby P-36A Pearl Harbor special. Would I be crazy enough to build all four at the same time? Nah...oh, wait.

Cheers,

Bill, who is now applying for membership in the @Procopius Wannabe Brit Club. That is, of course, if he'll have me. Let alone all of you guys!

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Bill, who is now applying for membership in the @Procopius Wannabe Brit Club. That is, of course, if he'll have me. Let alone all of you guys!

Excellent, excellent, next club meeting is scheduled for Telford in 2019. We should design t-shirts.

52 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

@CedB and @Martian Hale met up with me at the RAF Museum, which was a really good thing as they are most excellent tour guides.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Martin, but Ced is a delight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I put it to the one man one vote test Bill

Blighty can always use another Bill, come aboard

I am glad you enjoyed yourself, mostly (tube trains are a test for anyone unused to them, Mrs P and I often find ourselves wondering "Is this the right one?" when we visit that London)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, perdu said:

ourselves wondering "Is this the right one?" when we visit that London

You forgot the capitalisation; it's "That London" to anyone North of Watford. Otherwise you might be meaning London, Ontario...

• Like 1