1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

Wow.....that’s definitely yellow!

As for the doobry on the side, I’ve also spotted it on the Walrus* and wondered what it was.

https://goo.gl/images/brKwqd

Loving this as I do all your builds :penguin:

Trevor

*ever considered building the Spitfire’s older cousin..........?

• Like 1

Tough call... repaint the lovely yellow or block the turret :hmmm:

I vote for stripey Bill - you can always build a ‘normal’ Annie later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Wow.....that’s definitely yellow!

As for the doobry on the side, I’ve also spotted it on the Walrus* and wondered what it was.

https://goo.gl/images/brKwqd

Loving this as I do all your builds :penguin:

Trevor

*ever considered building the Spitfire’s older cousin..........?

This:

27006103877_43cbdc3091_b.jpg

From this:

27006169557_3abbe19383_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But... The Anson looks 300% cooler with the turret fitted*... Bill, is there not a trainer version that does have the turret fitted? That would be quite yellow...

Cheers,

Stew

I checked

• Like 1

Hi Bill

Alan Halls Warpaint Series 53 on the Anson shows a Mk1 N9765 with yellow underside DG/DE top sides with the fuselage demarcation running under the cabin windows on a line to the tail plane. N9765 in white on fuselage and black under wings on page 3. This one has the later more vertical front windscreen and a turret.

Don't know if this is of any interest

Your Anson looks absolutely stunning in yellow looking forward to more which ever way you decide to go

Roger

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, CedB said:

I know what you mean about the 'dirty yellow' Bill - looking at my ceiling I've been using Humbrol 24 'Trainer Yellow'

How long did it take to paint your ceiling with those little pots of Humbrol Ced? You really do have the patience of a saint...!! :winkgrin:

15 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Then, I saw these interesting RCAF markings with DG/DE on top, silver on the bottom, and rectangles of trainer yellow on top of the wings and the spine (I think Tony O'T even posted a photo of that one). It also had the turret.

Being an awkward old git Bill, I will go against the others & say do that one! I have to admit when you first mentioned that one that I thought it looked a lovely scheme!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

Let Bill do this with the stripes and we will chip in and get another for a turret, then you will have the best of both worlds.

True, but I really don't need to add to my stash! It's like my waistline, growing uncontrollably.

13 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

But... The Anson looks 300% cooler with the turret fitted*... Bill, is there not a trainer version that does have the turret fitted? That would be quite yellow...

This would be my choice, but I haven't found any examples configured that way. There's got to be one somewhere. I just need to know the numbers to see if I can cobble together the markings from The Island of Misfit Stickers.

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Alan Halls Warpaint Series 53 on the Anson shows a Mk1 N9765 with yellow underside DG/DE top sides with the fuselage demarcation running under the cabin windows on a line to the tail plane. N9765 in white on fuselage and black under wings on page 3. This one has the later more vertical front windscreen and a turret.

Don't know if this is of any interest

Your Anson looks absolutely stunning in yellow looking forward to more which ever way you decide to go

N9570 is one of the options with the kit, and it's marked just as you describe N9765, so it's a strong possibility. I do like those stripes though...let's see if I can find the razor saw. It's around here somewhere. Oh, and some courage too. That will come in handy.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Easy for you guys to say!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

You're right, of course, Bill - but I have seen the considerable skill and craftsmanship that goes into your builds and have no doubt you can do it!

And your posts strongly suggest to me that you really, really want to do the stripey one... 

It will be another cracking model, whichever way you decide to go...

Nick.

• Like 2

I've had a look and found exactly one yellow one with the later windscreen, potted cowlings and AW turret:

http://image-bank.techno-science.ca/databases/image_bank/dig_image.cfm?Lang=e&id=KM1927

There is a second picture in Avro Anson I II III IV X by Alan W Hall and Eric Taylor.  And Mike Keep illustrated it in the December 1987 SAM article.  I have it in the back of my mind that Airfix included it as an option on one of their many re-releases but can't put my hand on it.

6013 (née N9943) served the RCAF at Camp Borden in 1940.  By winter 1941 it had gone to Rockcliffe and was rebuilt as the prototype for the plywood fuselage of the Mk V as 8649X.

Me, I'd try the one with the stripes if I had the eyesight and the skill.

Edited by RJP
  • Like 1

On May 3, 2018 at 3:09 AM, Navy Bird said:

Did someone say yellow?    :)

IMG_2124

IMG_2126

We got yellow!

I have a question for the Annie subject matter experts - should the side walls of the turret opening be interior grey green or yellow? I sprayed them yellow, but afterwards thought that perhaps they should be the interior colour. But thinking has not been my forte lately, so I figured I'd better ask.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill,

having just found this thread and it having an Anson turret question, I had to reply. 

We had an Avro Anson turret as a parrot cage for decades from the fifties to the early seventies. This turret is extant in a display,more glazed with a mockup gas op Lewis at RAAFA Bull Creek in Western Australia.

Dad covered the war surplus frame with galvanised chicken wire to contain a Galah. This captured wild bird had no name that I recall but it was a sociable bird.

All of the metal surfaces were finished in earth colour, visible in the museum display. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

How long did it take to paint your ceiling with those little pots of Humbrol Ced? You really do have the patience of a saint...!! :winkgrin:

There's a first, Ced and saint being mentioned in the same sentence! 

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Vanroon said:

We had an Avro Anson turret as a parrot cage for decades from the fifties to the early seventies. 

If anyone finds a weirder post on Britmodeller this year, then I’ll be banjaxed.

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Loving this, and another vote for the Black stripes.

having just done a TT Mustang, I can relate to the Black stripes, however saying that I do think that it will be worth it in the end, and will certainly stand out in the cabinet

• Like 1

Not trying to hi jack this thread, but just want to show my Anson by Special Hobby and Xtrdecals.  I think more pics might be on the Trainers Gb from  a couple years ago or so. Anyway here is a bit of inspiration:

tKWMC4.jpg

MD4pmX.jpg

CzwRpF.jpg

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

If anyone finds a weirder post on Britmodeller this year, then I’ll be banjaxed.

Trevor

Given the nature of BM, I suspect you will be getting banjaxed sooner rather than later!

Martian 👽

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Not trying to hi jack this thread, but just want to show my Anson by Special Hobby and Xtrdecals.  I think more pics might be on the Trainers Gb from  a couple years ago or so. Anyway here is a bit of inspiration:

Paul, both of your Ansons are beauties, but the striped Anson is a real eye catcher.

They are most certainly inspirational models.

I have a soft spot for RAF/Commonwealth training aircraft, so these two are now duly placed on my to do list.

Thanks for showing them.

18 hours ago, Paul J said:

Beautiful! Thanks for showing these, it is most certainly not a thread hijack. This is the kind of inspiration I need to take that razor saw to my Annie.    :clap:

I've carefully marked out the area where I think it needs to be cut...my issue here is that I seem to have hidden the seams from the turret covering too well - I really can't see where it attached. I don't want to try and break it off (obviously) so I measured about fifteen different ways in order to scientifically determine the proper location for the cuts. In other words, I eyeballed it and drew some lines on the fuselage with a pencil.    :)

However, I am delaying the first cut until a couple of days from now, as I'm off to watch my son in a bicycle race at Watkins Glen. See you soon!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Can you not fill the turret opening more easily with some card shaped in hot water plus filler for the edges? Seems a shame to have to disassemble it at this point. Having seen the scheme in the photos above, it's gotta be done!

[edit] ...or even just cut out a hole-shaped piece from the hole-less filler plate that the kit provides and then prop it up in the hole on some plastic card stuck just below the edges? You could get the right shape to cut out by rubbing a pencil over some tracing paper held across the hole. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I've carefully marked out the area where I think it needs to be cut...my issue here is that I seem to have hidden the seams from the turret covering too well - I really can't see where it attached. I don't want to try and break it off (obviously) so I measured about fifteen different ways in order to scientifically determine the proper location for the cuts. In other words, I eyeballed it and drew some lines on the fuselage with a pencil.    :)

However, I am delaying the first cut until a couple of days from now, as I'm off to watch my son in a bicycle race at Watkins Glen. See you soon!

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, I suggest you scrape off some of the yellow paint, you will have to repaint that area anyway, where you think the seam is, so you can actually see it  Saves you all that tedious measuring and guessing.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 5