1:72 Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk.I

Oh yes, I forgot to add Happy Birthday to my last posting. I, too, have turned 63, back in November. It's okay. At least I'm still waking up on this side of the sod. Retirement is very nice.

Chris

• Like 1

A happy belated birthday from me too. I celebrated mine the day after yours, although I had four more candles to blow out. Didn't make much of a difference though. From memory, that fuselage piece with the turret cutout, didn't fit very well when I did a dry fit test on my kit.

Good grief I'm so late you've nearly finished it Bill! I unfortunately appear tohave squandered all my 'likes' elsewhere, so can I just say that after spending a pleasant time reading through the whole thread that I like everything you've done to it so far! 

Keith

PS a very, very belated Happy Birthday! 

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I guess the birthdays are OK as long as they keep coming.    :)

But in the meantime, this kind of stuff drives me nuts.

IMG_2112

And now I've got to make this fit. We're OK on the width (although I'll have to squeeze the windscreen together a bit while the CA takes hold), but where the two pieces join together isn't as nice as I would like. A wee bit of filler looks to be necessary...we'll see. Sometimes you have to paint the clear parts first to get a better understanding of how everything fits.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 17

41 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

But in the meantime, this kind of stuff drives me nuts

Wow, what a chore! Tidy job, nonetheless, it will pay dividends in the end :clap: Did you actually cut the masks in place? Or traced and then cut separately?

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks guys - these were Eduard masks, but they didn't want to separate from the backing. Perhaps the die cutting didn't go all the way through? Anyway I had to cut them out, which was OK because I could see the lines to follow, and was not OK because some of these were bloody small! Wifey informs me that my language was even more colourful than it usually is - hard to imagine that. My eyes still hurt...

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 10

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Good job though Bill. Of course if you had a Silhouette Portrait cutter you could make your own :wicked:

But of course! Why do you think I asked, in the first place? :whistle::devil:

:D:D:D

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2018 at 19:52, CedB said:

Good job though Bill. Of course if you had a Silhouette Portrait cutter you could make your own :wicked:

That's a clever little gadget. Not sure I can justify that much money for something I can do with a pencil and a pair of scissors, but maybe. If I was making more than one copy (i.e. going into the masking set business) then sure. But I have a hard enough time building a model...and I retired so I wouldn't have to run a business!   :)

Speaking of that, I am still working on little Annie. Unfortunately, the canopy and windscreen did not fit quite as well as I thought they did, and as soon as some paint went down I could see several areas that needed some fixin'. Darn that clear plastic anyway, it's almost like you can see straight through it! Oh, wait. Luckily, the parts didn't have to come off and I can repair the fubars to a tolerable level of good enough. I think. Maybe. We'll see.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I managed to snare another SH Beaufort (Mk.Ia/II) for pocket change at a recent show. It always pays to look in the boxes underneath the vendor table. I think a Malta bird in EDSG/DSG would look rather nice next to my Aussie version.

• Like 10

Sorry I'm late to the party Bill - didn't realise you'd started a new project after the TSR2. I'll take a seat in the corner and will quietly bring myself up to speed on the Annie (shuffles papers, drops pen...).

Justin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a bit since I last updated this thread!

Sorry about that, but I had an unexpected delay. It seems that two-year old boys, who gaze into my display case chanting "Plane!" all the time, also like to fondle these objects, especially when their grandfather leaves one in a location they can reach. Let's just say that Annie can fly! And, thanks to Mr. Newton, she can also land. As is sometimes the case with these landings, the plane exceeds its design limits and there you go. Thankfully, the pilot was not injured and the aircraft did not need to be stricken from the fleet. Just a little trip to the maintenance depot...

After she came out of the hangar, it was time to give her some nice shiny new paint. I've chosen the following scheme because:

1. I really like the looks of target tugs and trainers   -or-
  2. I'm insane

Which is it, I wonder?

scheme1

scheme2

Accordingly, she's in the process of getting a coat of white primer to serve as a nice base for the yellow. I'm going to use Testors Model Master RAF Trainer Yellow as that seems to be the right shade.

I'm thinking I might have to stock up on Kabuki tape...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

Glad to hear Annie was Cat 3(R) ie repairable on site, rather than Cat 5 (reduce to produce).

Are you insane? Yup, totally barking and tonto thankfully for the rest of us!

Welcome back :penguin:

Trevor

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I've chosen the following scheme because:

1. I really like the looks of target tugs and trainers   -or-
  2. I'm insane

Which is it, I wonder? 

scheme1

scheme2

Insane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We all know you are insane Bill but I suspect you really chose the scheme because it looks so cool.

Martian von Wibble 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

It seems that two-year old boys, who gaze into my display case chanting "Plane!" all the time, also like to fondle these objects,

I have some of those Bill, thats why display models are on a very high shelf, and WIP projects are usually kept in a cupboard they cant open!

Love that TT scheme!

Terry

• Like 1

Can't wait to see this Bill, good luck :)

Have you seen that very similar but cheaper tape on Amazon? I believe it's made in the same factory as the Tamiya stuff and makes me feel less guilty sticking it all over the place. Ships from Japan but worth the wait IMHO.

Just sayin' :)

• Like 1