Curved cheat line masking

Hey,

I was looking at the Zvezda Superjet kit and started wondering how would I go about painting the curved cheat line near the tail, on the Aeroflot livery.

As you can see there is a curved red line done with decals separating the blue and silver areas. How would I mask that curve?

I was thinking of photocopying the decals sheet then cut masking tape along the red decal line and apply to the model. Would that work? Is there a better, easier way?

Many thanks in advance!

Cristian

It works for me. If you have a decal of the correct shape, tape some clear plastic (food packaging is great) over the top of the decal. You will still be able to see the image through Tamiya Masking tape and then use a sharp knife to cut the tape.

Sometime I do scan the decals, but only when I need a sharper image, but usually I need to adjust the size of the image when I print it, to get it back to the correct size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Christian,

The way you mentioned has worked the best for me, even though it's tedious. I'll tape a photocopy of the decals to the model, and then start masking along the decal. I'll use very thin (~1-2 mm) strips of washi tape so it will bend easily to follow the curves and then I go back and fill in with wider strips. I think Tamiya and other hobby suppliers sell their own brand of washi tape, but generic versions are available in bulk from other suppliers for less money. 

Cheers!

Ben

• Thanks 2

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, Jackman said:

Those tapes by Aizu I can vouch for; not only are they excellent for the purpose you're seeking, but also they won't leave any residue or pull paint off when peeling. 

• Thanks 1

Another option - works best on flat or gently curved surfaces: use paper.  If you go to your local stationer or art supply shop you may find something called "Stick it!".  This looks like tape but is in fact a low-tack glue that you apply as if with a tiny roller.  For masking:

• trace the line you want onto a piece of paper.  Lightweight layout paper works best; I have a pad of 50gsm.
  • apply the "Stick it" on the back of the paper so that it straddles the line and covers that area completely.
  • cut away the mask.  You should have a shape that has glue all the way up to the edge, no matter how curvy or wibbly-wobbly it is.  Your scissors won't stick to the glue.
  • apply the mask.  Because the glue is low-tack, you can lift and lay it until you're happy.  It's like a Post-it note, but less prone to going curly on you.  Then burnish the edge down, and extend the mask as necessary with more paper or whatever you prefer.

On top of this, if you have a symmetrical area or line to mask, you can recycle the mask you've just made: tack its edge down onto anther piece of paper, trace along it, and you should have an exact replica.  To apply on the opposite side, simply put the glue on the other side of the paper.

• Thanks 1