Revell Welllington

Meatbox8

I suspect this may have been covered in the past but couldn't find anything when I searched.  In the exciting anticipation of the Airfix Wellington release (I must say the built up one on Airfix's website looks fantastic), and a rekindling of my interest in Bomber Command in general, I've suddenly gone a bit Geodesic crazy and have my eye on a very cheap Revell Wellington Mk.II I've found on-line.   Could anyone tell me whether it is the same as the MPM kit and if so how does it build?  I had heard that it is not the easiest kit to construct although I don't mind a bit of filling, sanding and re-scribing.  Also, is there a consensus on the fabric covering representation?  i.e. Too much, too little or just right.

It's not the easiest build, at least not the MkX version of the kit isn't, but it's not horrific.

If you have studied the Wellington in anything more than cursory detail though, you will find the shapes extremely disappointing,

Cheers,

Bill.

2 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

hi

With the revel kit, there are plenty of bits left over for the spares box :) 

cheers

Jerry

Good to know.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Heraldcoupe said:

It's not the easiest build, at least not the MkX version of the kit isn't, but it's not horrific.

If you have studied the Wellington in anything more than cursory detail though, you will find the shapes extremely disappointing,

Cheers,

Bill.

Hmmm.  I'm not a rivet counter (or fabric counter in this case) but it's got to 'look' like a Wellington.

Here is an MPM version that I built as a Mk.Ic,..... the build wasn`t so bad,...main problem was helped by swapping the turrets around,...... I think it looks OK though;

40711329041_2798eb1712_k.jpgDSCF5754 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Here is an MPM version that I built as a Mk.Ic,..... the build wasn`t so bad,...main problem was helped by swapping the turrets around,...... I think it looks OK though;

40711329041_2798eb1712_k.jpgDSCF5754 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

As with all your builds that's a great looking model, Tony.  How on earth did you do the demarcation?  I know you're a hairy stick aficionado.  Did you simply apply the upper colours then paint the black freehand or was there some more involved masking at work?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

As with all your builds that's a great looking model, Tony.  How on earth did you do the demarcation?  I know you're a hairy stick aficionado.  Did you simply apply the upper colours then paint the black freehand or was there some more involved masking at work?

Cheers marra,.... I applied the upper surface camo first and then hand painted the demarcation and undersides free hand with black. Although I didn`t do it with this one,..... I since have found that applying two thin pencil lines along the fuselage helps,......one for the upper and one for the lower boundaries and sometimes count the number of scallops on the real aircraft and then measure them off and add more pencil marks,.......helps keep things a bit more even! If I had masked it I would have ballsed it all up,.....I hate masking! 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, tonyot said:

DSCF5754 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Certainly looks like a Wellington, Tony.  Very nice.

• Like 1

I built the MPM kit as the Italeri boxing in the past and had to sand down the upper parts of the wheel wells in order to get the upper halves of the wings to meet the lower halves. That´s the only issue I had with the kit if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers marra,.... I applied the upper surface camo first and then hand painted the demarcation and undersides free hand with black. Although I didn`t do it with this one,..... I since have found that applying two thin pencil lines along the fuselage helps,......one for the upper and one for the lower boundaries and sometimes count the number of scallops on the real aircraft and then measure them off and add more pencil marks,.......helps keep things a bit more even! If I had masked it I would have ballsed it all up,.....I hate masking! 

Cheers

Tony

Bit of an involved way around, but I found that drawing out the scalloping on screen (nothing fancy, I did it with MS Word), printing this out onto paper and transferring the shape to masking tape worked well.  A short length copied gives a consistent pattern.

5 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I built the MPM kit as the Italeri boxing in the past and had to sand down the upper parts of the wheel wells in order to get the upper halves of the wings to meet the lower halves. That´s the only issue I had with the kit if I remember correctly.

Thanks.  I think I'm going to have to have one then!

• Like 4

On 9 March 2018 at 5:19 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Tony ...  How can you make so skilled a technique sound so simple?  I've tried recreating 'scallops' so many tines in different ways and all have ended in disaster!  Occasionally the aeroplane has made a one way flight into the trash (entirely my fault, too little patience).

I'll try your 'two thin pencil lines' approach - bound to give better results than anything I've tried before!

Thanks for sharing your technique, much appreciated.

Jonny

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonny said:

Tony ...  How can you make so skilled a technique sound so simple?  I've tried recreating 'scallops' so many tines in different ways and all have ended in disaster!  Occasionally the aeroplane has made a one way flight into the trash (entirely my fault, too little patience).

I'll try your 'two thin pencil lines' approach - bound to give better results than anything I've tried before!

Thanks for sharing your technique, much appreciated.

Jonny

Good luck Jonny,...... it is all practice mate,....... have a go on some old models first and `get your hand in'. Another tip,..... which comes from rifle shooting,..and the markmanship principles,........ hold your breath when your brush is touching the model,...... it stops your hands from shaking and helps you to concentrate better!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

There was also a Revell boxing of the Matchbox, labeled as a X and XIV. I suspect this is the X mentioned above.

If you're referring to my earlier post, then no, it's not that one.

MPM's tooling was issued as a Mk.X in an Italeri box. In addition to the well documented shape issues around the nose and tail, this version incorporated the larger FN20 gun turret, however MPM/Italeri did not modify the fuselage for it to fit.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Re-reading your post, I originally misread it. As evidently you're not that taken by the MPM kit, how does the Matchbox compare ? Has probably been discussed here someplace, sometime...

The Matchbox kit is OK,......it has some problems and is a bit basic but it has the best geodetic detail on the wings of any Wimpey kit. I built two of them on the recent Matchbox Group Build if you want to have a look at how I got on,

Cheers

Tony

8 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Re-reading your post, I originally misread it. As evidently you're not that taken by the MPM kit, how does the Matchbox compare ? Has probably been discussed here someplace, sometime...

Of the old generation, the Matchbox kit was undoubtedly the best. It's not as deformed as the Airfix and Frog renditions in the nose and tail.

IIRC, the cross section is a bit fat, and the wing is either a few mm too far forward or back, I don't recall the exact details. 

Later boxing under Revell ownership, including those in the latest Black Matchbox boxes, lost a lot of the surface detail where the moulds were cleaned up. One wing is a lot worse than the other, again I forget which way around.

Of course it lacks any cockpit detail, but what's present in the MPM kit is entirely fictitious, so you're no worse off from that point of view.

If you're going to spend money on a Wellington, rather than build what's already in your collection, the Trumpeter kits are streets ahead of any other option and the only ones I'd consider at the moment. They aren't perfect by any means, the nacelles and undecarriage in particular are a long way from right, but they're the best Wellingtons done to date.

This looks like it will all change when Airfix brings theirs to the table. What I've seen in test form looks very, very good, another generation ahead of Trumpeter.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ha.  Just goes to show what happens when one doesn't click the 'follow' button on one's own thread!  Anyway, thanks for all the input chaps.  I still haven't got round to buying one as I saved up for the Airfix kit, which is a beauty.  However I'm still going to invest in a Revell MkII as I like the look of the Merlin powered one and it's also a cheap way of building up a bit of a collection of Wimpys.  I'm also hoping to get back in to the habit of airbrushing after quite a long hiatus and I'd rather make a mess of the cheap Revell kit than the Airfix one! I hadn't realised that the kit includes parts for so many diferent versions whimch is a real bonus.  I would like a GR XIV but the Matchbox kit commands a pretty high price these days, as does the Trupeter kit.  Alas, Lockdown has not been kind to my modelling fund!

• Like 1