F-105D Thunderchief 58-1155 (D-10) 1/72 - last build update 11/07/18

just my interpretation, I would use Johnson Klear coat for the final finish, looks just right to me for an aircraft satin-smooth finish. for both the NMF and painted areas.

I have it my mind that NMF was clear lacquer coated for protection, am I wrong with this?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, mate. I use enamels exclusively so Future - not that I have any - isn’t an option for me. I’ve pretty much decided on satincote with appropriate bits in matt - spine, wheels etc. 

The pre-lookalike finish on Thuds was untreated NMF as far as I know. This machkne was, of course, very early in the build timeline so NMF is appropriate. 

I am now in the decalling phase and will RFI once done :)..... finally! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that I'm nearly there with the Thud. I've decided not to post more of the  WIP pending a RFI posting soon. My time recently - when I've had it - has been spend on decalling, finishing the test probe, undercarriage, etc. I really must learn to get these things done at the outset!

Meanwhile, and continuing the Republic theme, I've been finishing the F-47 that has been on the shelf pre-Thud! Not a WIP, just posting to show I'm still around!! ;)

IMG_3371

She is a Revell F-47D-30 1/72.... No groovy resin or extras. I'll finish her along side 81155......

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

On 11/07/2018 at 09:41, 71chally said:

I have it my mind that NMF was clear lacquer coated for protection, am I wrong with this?

James,

Some NMF areas may be clear coated but most relies on surface oxidisation to provide the protective finish.

Martin,

Nice P-47, must get on with mine.  What markings will it be in?

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Nice P-47, must get on with mine.  What markings will it be in?

Hi Wez,

She'll form part of my Republic line-up but will equally fit in my Latin flight line ;). Dominican.

Martin

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is a Revell F-47D-30 1/72.... No groovy resin or extras. I'll finish her along side 81155......

Now yer talkin' my language, Martin! I'm in the process of gathering my references, decals, and the Loon resin set to do a 5th ERS P-47D razorback using the Tamiya kit; it will be the 1st 1/48 model I have done since a brushpainted Monogram P-47D bubbletop that I built in my college dorm room in 1968! It looks  SO big next to the 1/72 kit, but the 5th ERS razorbacks are so colorful and so unique with their canopy, prop, external tank, and machine gun variations, plus the smoke marker floats/rack and dinghy packs! Natcherly, the one I want to do (5F-J)  has no aftermarket decals, but I have stencils for the codes and serial. Thinking yours might be Brazilian? They did a bang-up job in WW2 from everything I have read.

Mike

Hi Mike,

No mate, Dominican. Probably the most colourful Jugs post-war. 

Your project sounds great. I wasn’t aware of the 5th ERS but have looked them up. Nice :). 

I have collected a few Republic kits now in readiness for my latest project - a Farmingdale Feast ;). I have F-84G (tamiya), RF-84F (Italeri with Sword on order), F-84F (Airfix - built and RFI’d) and two more Thuds (Trumpeter, with a Hasegawa B to get the nose) :)

good luck! :)

Martin 

Yes, Terry, I recall that it went together well, but that was a few months ago. I will get this off the shelf while I wrap up 81155 and then get Mr Toad underway :)

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Just  read through this from start to finish and am blown away by what you have done here Martin, truly excellent work, please consider all of your posts "liked".

What a scheme, and I like the masks you have made, they work very well.

Really looking froward to seeing the end result.

Craig.

Thank you, Craig. She was completed today and now I need to get some photos taken. It won't be before the weekend as my days are full, including a fishing trip with my grandson.

As I have said a few times, I had a big help from Giorgion who produced the main fuselage flash mask, and those for the lettering, national insignia  and numbers. They were terrific. I have the F-47 to keep me going while I now start the next Thud - 59-1749 "Mr Toad". Sorry if I'm getting repetitive. 

Good  luck with yours :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Thanks Gene. You’ll see from the script of that site that the builder recognises that his colours were later discovered to be Inaccurate. 

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Martin

• 1 month later...
On 1 August 2018 at 9:04 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Mike,

No mate, Dominican. Probably the most colourful Jugs post-war. 

Your project sounds great. I wasn’t aware of the 5th ERS but have looked them up. Nice :). 

I have collected a few Republic kits now in readiness for my latest project - a Farmingdale Feast ;). I have F-84G (tamiya), RF-84F (Italeri with Sword on order), F-84F (Airfix - built and RFI’d) and two more Thuds (Trumpeter, with a Hasegawa B to get the nose) :)

good luck! :)

Martin 

Hi Mike! @72modeler

I don't intend to WIP, as I said, but I thought I'd report that the Jug is coming along nicely :). All main paints now on and she now sits waiting for her gloss one to cure before I start the decal king. My only issue now is that my printer just ran out of CMY inks and so I'll have to wait for the postman too! ;). 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner