F-105D Thunderchief 58-1155 (D-10) 1/72 - last build update 11/07/18

Hi all,

A little more done. Firstly I needed to mask off the anti-dazzle area around the cockpit. This was standard in shape but I needed to ensure that I had allowed enough area to capture the panel fully when I applied the OD and black. Fortunately I did! :) So, this is on and now she looks like this:

Thudbuild41

I will now wait for the mask to arrive for the nose balloon which a fellow BM'er has been making for me. Once I get those masks applied I will give the remaining surrounding area a few more passes of the airbrush with matt white. THis will then give me an even backing for the International Red, which is sitting patiently in the paint box ready to take a slug of Turpentine. With the post being the way it is it'll be a week more I reckon.

Meanwhile I have attempted the test pitot. As a guide, but not definitive, is a great 3-view that comes with the MMP publications yellow book on the Thud. It has one drawing of an earlier prototype with such a pitot and it is this that will form the basis of mine, plus a couple of images of the original machine (81155). The drawing is:

Thudprobe003

I have set about the pitot using Plastruct rod and a few strands from the kitchen broom!!! I have got so far and now need to leave it to cure a while before tidying and adding the cross piece on one of the forward protrusions. Each rod clearly needs some careful sanding, which will come once fully cured.

Thudbuild42

I have drilled out the end of the smaller piece, which will be slotted in to the larger. Once I'm there with that I'll post an image - hoping it looks okay! ;). My question to the learned amongst us is the best way to paint the red and white banding the pitot. All guidance appreciated. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have set about the pitot using Plastruct rod and a few strands from the kitchen broom!!!

I have a huge supply of plastic "rods" of various diameters, that were sourced from some scrub brushes I picked up cheap at the local grocery. Just a tip...

🙂

Hmmm... I've abandoned my pitot building activities for a while as the masks arrived yesterday :). I haven't said before but Giorgio on this forum has been testing his new cutter and offered to draw and cut me a set of masks. As I said, they landed with yesterday's post from Italy and they look mighty fine! :). I have had to apologise to him, though, today, as I miss drew the nose "balloon" and so rather than delay things and give him more work I've drawn and cut one myself using old-fashioned methods - Tamiya tape and scissors. Adhesion has been an issue but I'll address any ingress once finished. So, today..... International Red!!!! :). I am using Testors MM products (excellent!) with Turpentine. I started by drawing out the areas to be panted using thinned MM paint:

Thudbuild43

Thereafter it has been a morning of layering thinly. It takes a lot of coats! ;)

Thudbuild44

Thudbuild45

Thudbuild46

The sunlight makes the paint look a bit uneven but in reality it has gone very well, in my view. Now she needs to cure and maybe by Monday I'll be masking the red ready for the NMF areas :)

Martin

• Like 7

Now I've let my eyes calm down I reckon I may have some toning down to do once the masks go on. My approach will, I think, be to give the overrun areas a couple of tempering passes with thinned Matt White as it will be thinner and finer than the polished aluminium metalcote that I intend to use. 

I now need to start thinking about getting Mr Toad underway. She has been stuck in the pile for too long! I might start a précis WIP for her. I'm not sure yet.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Now I've let my eyes calm down I reckon I may have some toning down to do once the masks go on. My approach will, I think, be to give the overrun areas a couple of tempering passes with thinned Matt White as it will be thinner and finer than the polished aluminium metalcote that I intend to use. 

I now now nmed to start thinking about getting Mr Toad underway. She has been stuck in the pile for too long!

Martin

Hi Martin,

This is looking really good.

One thing I found with my Avon Sabre was that when subsequently masking the Alclad I used for some minor other work, in a couple of areas the Alclad lifted just a wee bit exposing the dayglo. It only happened in these two small areas so I suspect I had not cleaned the dayglo enough prior to airbrushing the Alclad.

It was fixable but scary at the time!

My lesson learned is really to ensure each coat goes into some pretty clean surface!

Just a warning!

Terry

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Hi Martin,

This is looking really good.

One thing I found with my Avon Sabre was that when subsequently masking the Alclad I used for some minor other work, in a couple of areas the Alclad lifted just a wee bit exposing the dayglo. It only happened in these two small areas so I suspect I had not cleaned the dayglo enough prior to airbrushing the Alclad.

It was fixable but scary at the time!

My lesson learned is really to ensure each coat goes into some pretty clean surface!

Just a warning!

Terry

Noted, Terry. Thanks a lot. 

I was was very impressed with how the Modelmaker red went on. I had it well thinned with Windsor and Newton Odourless Turpentine. My over cautious nature meant a far bit of overrun of the my initial marking out. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

'Afternoon all!

Well, a little more time has now got me to the stage in which the Metalcote has gone on. :)

I started out, obviously, with the task of masking off the red areas. While complex in some areas it really wasn't anything like those of you who tackle things like digi-camouflage or Dorner canopies ;). I started with the wings, top and bottom. THese were reasonably straightforward. I had to get a consistent margin on the intake lips so I cut some Tamiya tape down to 5mm, set that against the intake edge and used it as the point from which I started masking off. This gave me a parallel exposed area that is identical both side, under and over. The long lines across the wings were clearly easy! Then the rear fuselage band. I took the only two images I have of this aircraft from the side and made a judgement about width. Thereafter, after cutting tape I applied it diagonally. It followed the curves pretty well, I think.

Thudbuild47

The next bit is the one for which I have no image as I forgot! :(. I will remedy this soon with a brief set of images showing Giorgio's excellent handiwork. As I have told him today. the mask for the fuselage flash went on like a dream. I had not been looking forward to it but in the end I need not have worried.  Having forgotten the intermediate stage below you can see where she is right now, with Metalcote 27002 Polished Aluminium applied, including the wing and fuselage tanks. As I said in an earlier post, I "primed" the red with a few passes of matt white to temper the burning intensity of the red paint. It worked a treat.  

Thudbuild48

Next she needs a few days to cure. I will then buff the Metalcote before removing the masks to prevent any debris scattering across either the red or the yellow. Then it will be the exciting bit - removing the masks :). Right now she is looking too shy, hidden under all that paper and Tamiya tape!

The red areas will be outlined in black lining. For the straight areas I will use thin black decal (xtradecal). For the shaped areas (balloon, flash, etc) I will print the outline on clear decal film and apply that. I hope it works!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

Right, now I've taken a shot of a spare mask that Giorgio has sent.

THudbuild49

I will let him comment on the material used. It worked extremely well. The upper mask here is the one I used for the port side while below is a back up mask, slightly off set to show you how it looks. I marked a reference point as you can see and by doing that it went on without any fuss at all. Excellent!

I have meant to add previously that while there are some references for the actual machine, there are very few. Therefore I have followed what I interpret to be correct and will, for a couple of things I will use a bit of "modeller's licence". These wil be where I want to incorporate a feature that I know existed but for which I have no reference on this machine. The other thing to say is that the exact design of the balloon, flashes, etc is again interpretation in thr absence of any more information. So don't shoot me when someone finds a full set of shots of 81155 ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

I've now noticed that in the colour image posted on page 34of this thread ther is a small dayglo tip to the intakes as well as the splitter plate having some dayglo. Odd but it is fact. I didn't notice previously as the first image, used as my main reference, has intake covers that obscure this :(.... I need a plan to now do this retrospectively!

or ...... Is the intake cover also fitted in the colour image? Here's hoping. In fact I suppose it would be as it was in a static display? duh!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Good job Martin, looking very bright and shiny !

The material used for the mask is vinyl, that is the material most often used for these kind of things. It is unfortunately a bit thick but it was the thinnest my local supplier could get me. I know there's some even thinner material around but I've yet to find it... being relatively thick means some care is needed to avoid ridges at the mask edges.

The pros of this material are that it can be stretched a bit if needed, so conforms well enough to small curvatures, and it's not totally opaque, so that it's possible to see what's under the mask, very useful when this needs aligning with panel lines.

Thanks Giorgio. Yes, she is starting to look the part :). I am now fearful of removing all that tape! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi all!

Well, the masking is off and here she is in "Technicolor" ;)

Thudbuild50

Clearly there will be some cleaning up, but I'm happy. In fact I'm very happy. I won't get any work done on her today. I just wanted to get the masks off to settle my nerves! ;). Some of the paint-paint joint lines will need some attention but that's a small price to pay, I think.

A million thanks Giorgio! @Giorgio N

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 8

WOW, now that's what I call a colourful model ! Between the aluminum and the dayglo, I had to turn my eyes to avoid being blinded ! 😎😎😎

Looking very good ! How did you find the thickness of the masks ? Did this cause problems with paint ridges ?

Hi Giorgio! No, the masks were perfect. It was my heavy handed airbrushing. I need to be brave now and taken some micromesh to those joins. I’m nervous becauae dayglo is notorious for showing marks, like a colourful Alclad! 

Yes, she is bright but I’m sure she will tone down once I get moving with gentle weathering etc. :)

Martin

Hi all!

Well, the masking is off and here she is in "Technicolor" ;)

Thudbuild50

Clearly there will be some cleaning up, but I'm happy. In fact I'm very happy. I won't get any work done on her today. I just wanted to get the masks off to settle my nerves! ;). Some of the paint-paint joint lines will need some attention but that's a small price to pay, I think.

A million thanks Giorgio! @Giorgio N

Martin

Thats looking absolutely fantastic Martin. I feel your nervousness around this model at the moment, but its just a matter of patience and a step by step approach. 

Keep going!

Terry

Definitely looking real good Martin, I'm glad we encouraged you to go through with it!

Don't rush, we can wait, I'm sure it will come out fine.

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thats looking absolutely fantastic Martin. I feel your nervousness around this model at the moment, but its just a matter of patience and a step by step approach. 

Keep going!

Terry

Hi Terry! 

Impatience is is taking over - I must settle my head and be methodical. ;). Thanks for your comment :).

Martin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Definitely looking real good Martin, I'm glad we encouraged you to go through with it!

Don't rush, we can wait, I'm sure it will come out fine.

Thanks a lot, Wez. The encouragement of the "team" is what I need :).

Martin

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice paint job! :)

HÃ¥kan

Thanks Hakan. It is developing as I had hoped .... So far! ;)

Martin