F-105D Thunderchief 58-1155 (D-10) 1/72 - last build update 11/07/18

Me too. Yesterday was a day of gardening, although that is also a love of mine. I'm heading out to Reykjavik again. Fingers crossed the weather will be okay. 

All, any advice on producing the thicker, stepped, test probe? I was thinking about Albion tubing? Or simply thicker grade plastruct rod, sanded to give the step and pointed profile. Then build the vanes out of gash PE and thin wire?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

A little more done today. Nothing earth shattering so only one update image below:

1. filled, sanded and painted the interiors of the wing inlets

2. fitted the canopy - had some fit issues :(

3. tidied up the nose cone (removed the camera) and drilled out to 1.3mm in readiness for the test probe, which will be fitted once built. Now covered with a protective foam.

4. Wings fitted

5. Re-filled the nose gun area and its vents as they were not too good

6. Repaired the HUD as I broke part of it previously.

7. Using Frisket I drew out the outline of the nose "balloon" and the fuselage flashes. Once scanned I have a friend re-drawing them in Corel Draw ready for cutting of the paint masks

8. Fitted the brake chute cover and the remaining panels around the jet pipe

IMG_3242

Next I will:

1. tape around any seams etc needing filling to prevent or minimise damage when sanding. Then fill and sand.

2. tidy around the canopy

3. temporary mask the canopy

4. blank off the cockpit and the jet pipe prior to priming

5. Prime coat

6. Check for irregularities

That'll get me to the point of starting the paint job :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, RidgeRunner said:

any advice on producing the thicker, stepped, test probe? I was thinking about Albion tubing?

I'm going for 1.3mm Plastruct rod with the standard pitot inserted at the end. I will taper the rod and add vanes to the brass Master pitot from PE.

Martin 

I meant to say that the wings fit beautifully, finding the correct dihedral via the inner intake sleeves that form part of the fuselage. It was as easy as building with Lego ..... Other buildings blocks are available, etc, etc ..... Yawn....... ;)

Martin

Nothing very exciting to report. She had now had the seams, etc filled and sanded. They are not prefect in some places and a coat of Humbrol 1 will show that up well for me soon. I've blanked off the cockpit and jet pipe and masked the front canopy (Montex). I've also built the wing tanks as well as the under fuselage tank. When I get time next week it'll be a coat of primer and checking for irregularities and correcting them. One thing I know about is the joint where I removed the dorsal wiring duct. It needed a more substantial filling so it currently has a Plastikard insert which I will shape later.  Thereafter it'll be the white undercoat for the yellow and International Red areas.

Thudbuild36

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

Well, I did say it would be slow ....... I have given her a thin priming coat of Humbrol 1 today. Here she is:

Thudbuild37

This will, of course, let me find those areas that are not yet ready for paint, and need a little more attention. Pretty much, though, she is okay all round. Once dry I'll survey her and address any issues. As I said in my last post, there is little of great interest. At the moment. I am impressed how the "filled" rivets have come out. They are not completely full and flush but at least they are not so obvious and obtrusive. As the coats go on, albeit thinly, I'm hoping they will blend more in to the model and become even less obvious.  My next step in the painting process will be to apply a matt white undercoat for the areas that will be either yellow or International Red. For the yellow I am thinking Humbrol Pale Yellow (81). The International Red will be Mastercoat. With that said, though, I will be coming to a brief stop until the masks are ready for the flashes and nose balloon. I mentioned before that a friend is drawing these out in Corel Draw (which I don't have) and then cutting them on a silhouette cutter (which I also don't have). I'm excitedto see how they will be.  Aside from the main build I am getting the tanks etc together and cleaned up. She is going to have both wing and centreline tanks, the latter with calibration markings. Additionally the outer wing pylons will probably carry LAU pods, as shown in my images of this machine.

Again, apologies for the lack of excitement. I'll be back soon. Meanwhile I'll get back to the MIG-21UM, which has been sadly neglected!

Martin   

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

Just to say that having reached a hiatus on this build I can start preparatory work on my next two Thuds (Mr Toad and a B-model conversion), as well as wrapping up my MIG-21UM.

A question to the wise, though - given that I need to paint the flashes etc on 81155 in International Red rather than Orange, would I leave out the yellow undercoat and only apply white? Any thoughts?

thanks chaps.

Martin

On 20/04/2018 at 10:12 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Just to say that having reached a hiatus on this build I can start preparatory work on my next two Thuds (Mr Toad and a B-model conversion), as well as wrapping up my MIG-21UM.

A question to the wise, though - given that I need to paint the flashes etc on 81155 in International Red rather than Orange, would I leave out the yellow undercoat and only apply white? Any thoughts?

thanks chaps.

Martin

Hi chaps! 

I hope to get the white undercoats and the yellow for the “balloon” and fin on tomorrow. If the concensus is to also undercoat the INternational Red with yellow i woll do that at he same time. Therefore I’d appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. 

@Giorgio N @Wez and others

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi chaps! 

I hope to get the white undercoats and the yellow for the “balloon” and fin on tomorrow. If the concensus is to also undercoat the INternational Red with yellow i woll do that at he same time. Therefore I’d appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. 

@Giorgio N @Wez and others

I've been giving this some thought and I would recommend trying it out on a piece of scrap with both a white and a yellow undercoat and see which looks most authentic. The trouble is you'd be making a comparison against a photo taken the best part of 60 years ago.  Any variance with pictures could be put down to colour reproduction etc.

Of course, in reality the red paint would have been applied directly onto the aircraft's NMF without an undercoat.

Sorry I can't be more definite than that.

No, mate, your thoughts are very useful. I appreciate it. The other question in my mind  is the type of yellow usdd for the balloon and fin. I’m guessing trainer yellow on the basis that it woyld have been a regular airframe colour (i guess).

Martin

38 minutes ago, Wez said:

in reality the red paint would have been applied directly onto the aircraft's NMF without an undercoat.

I didn't know that.

I can only compare the day-glo equivalent on Royal Navy aircraft and certainly after a while the white undercoat started to show through as the red/orange wore.

I seem to remember that Humbrol used to have an undercoat paint specifically for use with fluorescent paints but that was a long time ago

For the model I would go for a white undercoat as trying to get even coverage over the grey would be difficult I think

• Like 1

'Afternoon chaps and chapesses!

Well, I've started on the painting, as you can see below. So far she has received a few dustings of Matt White (Humbrol 34) to act as the base for both the International Red flashes and the yellow areas (nose "balloon" and fin). To be honest it has been frustrating trying to get an even coat. I think I've got there. Thereafter she has had the yellow areas airbrushed. For this, after much trial and error, I've gone for Matt Lemon Yellow (Humbrol 99) as it is as close as I can get to the only colour image I've seen, as you will all have seen on my original "Cold War" posting. I was surprised as it was far less fussy and after a very few dusts it was even. Now I will be leaving her for a week or so as Mrs Ridge Runner and I are off on a short break to Spain. It will be post-bank holiday before I get back to her. In that time the masks for the flashes and balloon will have arrived and I can get on with the International Red :).  As I've said before, I'm probably going with  Mastercoat (Testors) International Red. This will need to be thinned with turpentine rather than the proprietary thinners. Clearly before I apply the red and after masking I will need to touch up the yellow overspill around the masks.

Oh, I meant to say that the tedious work on the rivets seems to have paid off. They still show, but only a little. Far more subtle. I did discover accidentally, though, that while I was encoucouraged to go for alchohol wipes to tidy the correction fluid I used, it actually cleans up nicely with White Spirit! :)

She's starting to look nicely gaudy, isn't she! :)

Martin

Thudbuild38

Edited by RidgeRunner
PC correction! ;)
  • Like 8

This is coming along nicely Martin.

On 17/04/2018 at 11:19 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Meanwhile I'll get back to the MIG-21UM, which has been sadly neglected!

Is there a thread here on that one? I'm quite interested as a started a small distraction a few weeks back converting a 1/144 Eduard MIG-21 SMT (I had a dual combo of that one) to a UM using the Retrowings conversion. I assume yours is in the proper 1/72 scale!

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your encouragement :)

Yes, here is the thread:

She has stalled at the moment because the Thud has captured my interested!!!! Now I have four in the queue, part built - the Thud, the MIG-21UM, a MIG-15UTI and a F-47D-30 :(

Martin

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Wez!

Revell and Dominican, but not proprietary decals ;)

Martin

It'll be a while before I get back to her, Wez. I still have lots of Latins planned after the series of Thuds.

Martin

Coming on very nicely there Martin.

I would try out your idea of yellow for the colour and as the undercoat for the dayglo orange/red on some scrap, my thinking is that sometimes dayglo bleached a yellowy colour.

If it doesn't look how you want it then you won't have to go down that route, but you never know until you try it.

Also I would think that the dayglo took some undercoat/primer preparation to apply to metal aircraft, certainly (as Richard says), British aircraft did.