F-105D Thunderchief 58-1155 (D-10) 1/72 - last build update 11/07/18

Hi all,

I have finally summoned the courage to embark on the first of what I hope will be three Thud builds over the coming weeks. I'll send out my previous caveat that it will take a while as I have to fit it around many other things and time is short generally. None of that will dampen my enthusiasm, although I am impatient by nature and you may need to hold me back if I am rushing for the sake of finishing. The goal is a representative build and not a half-way copy. Many of you will have seen and been a part of my recent deliberations on WIP about this first machine, which is different to say the very least. As always she is being built in the Gentleman's scale - 1/72. Is there really anything else? ;) I grew up with 1/72 and will stick with it. The follow on builds will be F-105D 59-1749 "Mr Toad/Marilee E" and then F-105B 54-0107 in her Phase 5 colours. So, 58-1155 looked like this:

F105D81155

She was a test airframe that went on to operate with the USAF and then the Air National Guard and now resides in USAF Armaments Museum at Eglin AFB, marked erroneously as 59-1771/JV "Ohio Express". The debate on WIP has mainly been about the fin/rudder  and nose "balloon" colour. A poor (in my view) image that is available shows this to be a pale yellow, like something you'd get from Dulux for your bathroom in the 1970s. It isn't my cup of tea but, of course, if that is what it was then it will be painted that way. My challenge is to prove this to myself. Other than that she was natural metal, International Red flashes outlined in black, (silver)-outlined lettering and Star-and-Bar, Olive/Green spine and a black anti-flash panel behind and in front of the canopy.  You can see that she had a longer pitot with some test vanes and a ventral fins without arrestor hook. She also pre-dated the wire duct along the spine and the rear fuselage scoops normally seen on later Thuds. I have a couple more rewfernce shots but if anyone out there has more I'd love to see them, especially anything that confirms (or otherwise) those yellow areas ;).

So far I am in the "gathering" stage - getting my bits together and starting to make a work plan. This is what I have so far:

thudbuild1

This includes an Aires cockpit for each, pitot (for Mr Toad), wheels, canopy masks, and more.  

Well wish me luck! I need it!!!!!!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 8

Adding my initial work plan drawings (credit as shown). The red areas show where there is some butchery required.

Thudbuild003Thudbuild004

Thudbuild005

If I've missed anything please tell me!

Martin

• Like 7

Oh! Oh! Love the Thud and will definitely be following this build closely. I did a WIP last summer using the Trumpeter kit and much the same AM as you, and I was very happy with how it all came together. 

Nice to see you following on from all those great Thud photos you posted, with a nice Thud build.

That's certainly some colour scheme you've settled on. I will follow with interest.

All the best.

Looking forward to how this turns out Martin, after all of that effort trying to establish the colour scheme it's only right that you should tackle this beastie!

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

after all of that effort trying to establish the colour scheme it's only right that you should tackle this beastie!

quite so ;)

I got brave and started the rivet filling. I'm not good at tedium and so I know there'll be a level of swearing along the way. Nevertheless, I made a start and got half way along one fuselage half. Enough for today. You can see below the awful rivets on the fin. They are deep and, I'm sure, will show if not treated with some filler. I'm adopting the Tippex method. I've "invested" in a pen-type. I also have the old brush type and actually went for that. I'm not yet convinced that the pen wont be better, though.  Next time ;). The great thing is that it dries very quickly and so within 30 mins or so I'd filled a few rows and sanded them, as you can see. As I applied it I used a strip of Tamiya tape to protect the panel lines as best as I could. There is a little panel line cleaning to do but all in all I'm happy. Let's see how happy I am after doing the whole kit! 

Thudbuild10

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
change of text
  • Like 7

Hi Martin,

Good luck with this, I'll be following, as I love a good Thud!

Cheers

Terry

7 hours ago, Jackman said:

I think you may have already seen this but just in case you haven't, here is an excellent article about backdating the Revell 1/72 F-105D into an early D. You might be able to use the tips for the Trumpeter kit too:

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/f105d.htm

Great link Jackman, thanks for sharing!

Terry

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bill ;). My first challenge is to summon up enough patience to fill all those rivets!

Martin  

Check my WIP (page 2) for how I filled mine. Quick & easy. 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235022860-old-dog-new-tricks-part-deux-172-trumpeter-f-105d-thunderchief/

:-))

• Like 1

Hi Bill!

Now I am really daunted. I am sure I would have seen your thread but my old brain doesn't recall it. It is excellent and I am sure my build won't be to you standard. It will certainly aid my build. Like you I tried correction fluid but started by using the bottle and brush type. However, I have purchased pen-types like you plus alcohol wipes. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the expert guidance.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Having read through Bill's excellent and comprehensive WIP I now intend to only illustrate anything pertinent for this particular machine (an early Thud). Given that there will be a hiatus while I get the basics together, which Bill covered already.

Martin

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Looking foward to watching this kit being built up!

I'll be happy once I'm past the tedium of the rivet filling ;)

Martin

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'll be happy once I'm past the tedium of the rivet filling ;)

Martin

Those rivets just have to go!  So unrealistic.

I've read through the linked threads (nice Thud btw Bill), but none of them mentions something which is a bit of a nagging worry bead in the dim recesses of my mind (which is most of them to be fair).  I could well be completely wrong but I recall reading that the F-105D had a shorter fin than the F-105F/G, originally at least.  I can't recall whether the F-105D's had the longer fin retrofitted, whether the Revell/Monogram kit of the D had the F/G fin and whether that applies to the Trumpeter kit.

I'm away from my references ATM.

So what I'm saying is, can anyone confirm whether the D had a shorter fin than the F/G?  What fin does the kit have?

Edited by Wez

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Wez, 

Yes, the twin-sweaters had a taller fin. However the D is moulded correctly on the Trump. 

Martin

I've had the kit since it first came out (10 years or more)?  Yet I've never once offered it up to any plans to check.

Obviously either a candidate for stash reduction or I've been waiting for the right inspiration...   ...so no pressure Martin 'cos I really like the This and don't really want to get rid of this one!

Well, I hope you build her at some point, Wez. If not and you are seeking to reduce that pile I'd take her off your hands ;). I will need a third to graft on to a Hasegawa B-model nose at some point. 

Have a good Sunday :)

Martin

• Like 2

On 10 March 2018 at 1:14 AM, billn53 said:

Hi Bill,

I've tried the pen corrector and alcohol wipes. I think I need to get the timing right as it dries too quickly and the wipes have little or no effect on the removal process. I need to think on a bit and find a solution that matches my speed ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi all,

A brief update.

Having struggled a bit with the Correction Fluid method of filling I think I have got a handle on it now. I use a combination of bottle/brush-type and pen-type. The reason being that the pen-type doesn't seem to fill enough with some holes. I've realised, though, that my aged pace is no good for the fluid and so I have to work faster. I apply an inch and then clean with alcohol wipes. Sometimes it needs a little more elbow grease but I get there. Then the stubborn bits get a few passes of a fine sanding stick. However, prior to applying the fluid I put thin strips of Tamiya tape (other types are available, etc, etc .... yawn....) over the panel lines:

Thudbuild11

This prevents the fluid running in to the lines. Without this it is a tedious task of re-scribing. Your choice. Both work.

My next job is to remove the re-enforcement plate on the rear end where the scoops would normally be.

Thudbuild13

As you can see, I protect the panel lining with Tamiya tape and then and away with light curved motions across the area, top to bottom to keep the curve. I follow the coarse stick with Fine and then Extra Fine.

Thudbuild12

In addition I have removed the antennas on the fin tip, the arrester hook apparatus, the gun camera under the nose. I've also filled the gun ventilation on the nose as this machine at the era of the build had no gun installed. I will be keeping the kit ventral fin and adding the rest of it from Plasticard. I have a resin replacement but I'd rather use my modelling skills where I can.

So, I've done one half of the fuselage. It'll need cleaning up eventually and I still need to address the revised spine. I'll do the latter when she is a solid fuselage.

Thudbuild15

Martin

• Like 8